Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see your roll cages and safety features

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by decker, Jun 2, 2008.

1. I know... I know... they don't always look great, they aren't "traditional" and in some of your opinions they might not be very cool but let's see what you've got inside your ride that gives you a little peace of mind if anything should happen to go wrong out on the mean streets of anytown USA.

2. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Interesting you say this....I was thinking of trying to make some kind of door re-enforcement or tie the frame together behind the drivers seat to attach belts to...maybe I need a full cage though for waht I'd ultimately want

3. toddc

toddc

4. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Roll gages,efficient hotrods,55mph,bud, is your real name Ralph Nader?

5. This thread from today... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269594 as well as a few others recently showing the end results of collisions in an old car and seeing how I'm hoping my kids will want to go for a ride in "dad's old car" someday have pretty much solidified my decision to go ahead and do it to my own when the chassis get's built. Nothing crazy like something found on a circletrack car... just a few well placed intrusion bars, two small hoops some harness mounting points. See this other thead on cages... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243757

Lastly... remember the last scene in American Graffiti... I do!!! :eek:

6. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'vehad too many close calls lately...caused by jackassses, including myself :rolleyes::eek:

I'd love to stiffen up the frame, get a more secure place for the seatbelts to mount, maybe even go to ugly ass 3 points. My car has a chop top and you can hit the roof on a good bounce, I'm not sure how much I can do to prevent head injuries but restraints seem like a good idea, and maybe some roll bar padding on obvious contact points. Looks horrible, but I gotta drive it.

Not to mention I like to pretend I'm driving an old Nascar or I'm a whiskey runner :D

7. Drive Em

Drive Em

Here is the chassis from my '27 track T:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Lucky77

Lucky77

DriveEm that is a SUPER nice chassis. Looks like you got some circle track background in your DNA:D

9. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

very good thread indeed. i was involved in a head on collision in my 51 today. well, yesterday actually, i can`t sleep. seat belts will be a very important feature in the rebuild of my truck. me and my son could have died today. i was a very bad wreck that was witnessed by several other hamb members. safety should never be considered untraditional.

10. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

I was hunting for (and found) a late 60's Tbird interior for two reasons.
    1. The back seat is kick ass.
    2. The front bucket seats come with integral seat belts.
    [​IMG]
    I then bought a pair of those aircraft seat belts from KIRK! for the back seat.
    [​IMG]
    As much as I dont like being 'told' to wear one (ya know, cuz I'm a free man and an adult and can think for myself), I still see the safety in having them.
    That's my meager contribution to occupant safety in my '50 Coronet.
    Now if I can just cut back on those damn daiquiri's.....
    [​IMG]

11. PumpGasRatVette

PumpGasRatVette

It's always a divissive issue...but safety certainly has its' merits. Roll cages in race cars are designed so that the driver can walk away from disaster. It IS better to see another day!

12. Paul Y

Paul Y

Shall we ask Littleman if the cage in his A is traditional.....

I am putting a 4 point into my 56 after seeing the video of the Auzzie A after its 1/8th mile altercation. That and it give me somewhere positive to put the belts.

I for one will be following this thread to see what the creative minds of the HAMB can bring to this particularly thorny issue.

P.

13. heres the one I put in mine - I sent a drawing to a guy that does roll bars for circle track stuff. He bent it up for me. It's a 4 point and I have a horizontal bar behind the backs of the seats to hang some harnesses from. I think it turned out and will help if I roll.

Attached Files:

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

Mr Drive Em, that's very nice, did you build it (the chassis) or is that a kit of some sort (or maybe you offer it as a kit?)?

15. Drive Em

Drive Em

I want to wring this one out for a while to see what changes are needed, and then I am thinking of building a few as I jigged everything up when I built the first one. The body is a Speedway Motors body, so anyone can buy that body. I will also have to jig everything up for readily available chassis parts as I used gennie Ford parts on the prototype. (axle,wishbones etc.)

16. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is one I'm working on .This one will have belts and bars. the coupe in back won't.The pos I drive regular has no safty devices but goes far and comes back.
    The wreck photo reminds me of safe movies they make you watch in high school drivers ed. Remember kids,don't forget to wipe your ass,You wouldn't want to embarress your Mom.
    Drive em,I really like that car and have watched it's progress.Very nice.

17. nexxussian

nexxussian

Thanks, I thought it looked farmiliar (shoulda searched before I asked, duh :eek:).

18. 2 1/2" x .120 wall DOM tubing.
    Four pointer.
    Fits under top, top folds down ok with roll bar in place.
    Back window unsnaps and slips between top and roll bar when the top is up.
    Roll bar does not impinge on the view in the rear view mirror.

And in fact, for those who don't like roll bars, if you do it right it's almost invisible.
    [​IMG]

And sometimes not so invisible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

:Dmy highschool hot rod,i built from 1959 tell 1965,this pick from putting on some new paint in 1961,with the motor out and also getting some extra work[is a 292 T-bird].
    yes,I had seat belts and a small FireX. But no bumpers:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

20. Drive Em... that's a nice setup! That's the sort of intrusion structure I was talking about.

and Exderelict... were you pulling my leg? (blushes)

21. I am thinking of a vertical at the front and rear of each door, connected by an 'x' shape, a tube all around the door jam, tied to the frame. All inside the skin. Hinges and door latches attach through the stock locations of the skins, to the bars (longer bolts). 100X more side impact protection, and completely invisible. And of course, a hoop and belts, designed to avoid head-to-tube contact in an accident (roll cages can be very dangerous in street cars, if they are not planned so as to keep un-protected heads from contacting them). My kid will will be driving it to high school if she gets it done fast enough. I can see leaving out the safety stuff on a car that will never see traffic, but if you really drive it, you are nuts to skip the safety.

As for traditional, There were plenty of rods built in the late 50s / early 60s with bars, belts, and sometimes even fire extinguishers. Historical trivia question: what years did the SCTA start mandating roll bars and seat belts for street classes? I'm sure both were long before 1960. My buddy's grandfather had a remote operated extinguisher in his car (pull the cable, nozzles hose down engine, interior, trunk). I'm guessing it was military surplus equipment.

The NHRA rule for open cars requires bars at some rediculously slow ET (like 16 seconds or something) or faster, and I think almost any pre-war car (even a coupe) probably has less driver protection in a rollover than a stock 70s convertible.

22. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Nice chassis Mr. Drive Em Sir, I am definitely impressed!

Al (coveting that chassis) in CT

23. [​IMG]
    for the weekenders... any more?

24. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

my 64 vette had just a drivers hoop got booted off the track many times for running 9.80

Attached Files:

25. brandon

brandon

after a trip to strip last night , i've been thinking about doing a cage in my model a....the car isn't real fast (13.50 range @ just under 100) but the local track is a little rough since being ground and stripped... the thought of anything happening at speed , the stock model a coupe body isn't going to take it too well.....:rolleyes: plus i want to step up the car , it was hooking good enough last night that the rumble seat latch jammed , so it may be time to take a second look at the car and take care of a few items....:D due to all the storms earlier in the week , the track had some electrical issues and decided to call of the races....but let ya make passes off the clocks.... i hot lapped that thing :D and had to show the kiddies that old stuff can run too...even with a wore out junk 350. brandon:D

26. Tony

Tony

I had a 4 point bar in my last 32..mounted with 3/8th steel plate and 4 bolt's per plate right to the frame. It may not have been NHRA approved, but was built from cage tubing and i felt safer with it there.
    The 32 5 window i'll be building soon will also have a 4 point bar in it..
    I could care less if it's traditional or not, it's an added safety item and i think they look cool too :).
    I was one the guy's that witnessed Monzadood's accident and can't tell you how scared we all were when we saw it happen..
    Safety should be important so we can all enjoy our car's for a long time..

Tony

Attached Files:

27. Would I find that on YouTube?

If so, got a title?

28. Thought I'd add that I carry two extinguishers in the 32 and new pickup.
    Gotta get a 2nd one for the Ranger 4x4.

Heard a story a few years back where a guy used his extinguisher to put out a car fire, then later on that day lost his own car due to fire and an empty extinguisher....