Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheap Mods for my 53 f100...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikebolk, May 29, 2008.

1. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

anybody have any suggestions for any cheap mods for my 53 f100

Attached Files:

2. Mattilac

Mattilac

You know, it looks sweet the way it is. I can't think of any "cheap" mods anyways. I'd drive the wheels off of it.

Make sure its up to par reliability-wise. From the looks of the pics, I'd say it received a pretty nice resto.

3. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

seams to be pretty solid all the way around... i wont really no about reliability until i drive it... gotta goto the DMV and get my historic plates on wednesday

4. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

i would like to lower it... and i think i would rather put some more appropriate wheels... maybe some steelies and moons and wide whites... i wounder if anyone would trade me their steelies and wide whites for these centerlines and BFG's

5. Mattilac

Mattilac

Yeah I was going to mention some wheels, like a set of steelies, but I didn't know how cheap you were talking. Some wide-whites would like nice too, but they certainly are NOT cheap! :eek:

If you lower it any more, I wouldn't go more than just 2-3 inches.

How is it lowered right now and how many inches?

6. duste01

duste01

Yeah, put some teeth on it. And change out the rear bumper, or get a roll pan, and some peep mirrors. If your going to change out the wheels and tires, you might consider the width of the tire on the front is directly proportional to how big your arms are going to get from cranking on the steering wheel. You could go with a 16 inch rim and go with a 7 width and fill the wheel well, and some 3 inch wide whites, or if your real cheap like me, you can get some white wall inserts and its still cool as hell. Then look into some cabin comforts cause they are fun to drive.

7. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

its stock rite now.. i have WW on my 54 chevy... if i could sell the wheels i have on it i could get the rite wheels.. i could always throw some mustang wheels on it till i get the steelies and then ill be able to sell the centerlines and buy my steelies and WW i have a bucket of about 20 brand new moon caps so im good there...

8. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

well i have an iron cross peep mirror... but then i have holes in my door :( this is the first vehicle ive had that is actually shiny! i don't want holes in the door... lol

9. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Do some 16 inch ford solids (40-46 style) with 7.50 wide whites in back and 6.00 wide whites in front, it would give it a nice rake, and some dog dish size caps would look nice, and a white tounnue cover, maybe some belly burners, white pinstripes, ditch the back bumper and get a stock tailgate...i think i might be getting a little off the "cheap" theme here though haha

10. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

EW! dont put an Iron cross anything on that truck, remember, the cleaner and simpler the better, the more acessories you throw on it the more cluttered and cheap it looks

11. mac762

mac762

Put some aluminum slots on it. Lower it a little bit. Take off those big chrome tips off the exhaust, and the chrome rain guards on the top of the windows.
    I love that truck man. You done good. I used to have one that was a Hot Wheels. Blue with flames and had two yellow dirt bikes in the back. :)
    PS I don't dig those iron cross mirrors and I think you can get the little round peep mirrors that mount up high and mount into the doorframe instead of drilling holes into the door. JMO of course. It's your truck now man. Later Josh.

12. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

i wouldnt take the stock mirror off anyway since its there...

13. motorhed

motorhed
    from Australia

How 'bout a cheap woman inside?

14. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

what i was saying about the mirror is that i have a moon equipment... iron cross peep mirror that i had on my 54 chevy... i wouldn't take the one i have off b/c it would leave holes in the doors... my 54 had no mirrors on it and in NJ you need at least one mirror... and one of my friends is a distributer of moon stuff so she gave me the mirror... it was cool but i made a skull peep mirror instead...

15. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

i have an expensive woman to put inside.. thats why my budget for the truck is low!

16. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

detail the engine a bit - paint the block - maybe some cool valve covers and a cool air cleaner - otherwise it looks like a real nice ride!

17. 'Mo

'Mo

I'd see if '56 flush fit headlight rings would fit. Someone here could tell you. Night Prowlers carries them.

18. dutched32

dutched32

lower the front a bit and leave the mirror off and the woman in it! Nice truck

19. change the wheels,some steelies and baby moon with trim rings,maybe loose the tail gate to,nice truck-whre in jersey are you???

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

some lowering and different wheels would do a lot for that truck....
    3-4 inch blocks in the back,,dropped axle in the front..
    wide whites for sure..olds fiesta caps would be a nice look
    or wide whites, steelies painted black, chrome spiders, and a set of those small trim rings that wheelkid (hamb alliance vender) sells...
    the 56 headlight rings mentioned above will not fit your truck.
    maybe get some subtle pinstriping done,,
    how 'bout a white tonneau cover,,,would look nicer with a white tonneau in my opinion,,would kinda compliment the wide whites...

also definitely get yourself a chrome grille instead of the painted one,,painted grilles in those trucks are too "80s streetrod" in my opinion...
    i know you said "cheap",,but if you ever repaint the truck,,definitley lose the emblems too.........

looks like a nice solid truck (especially here in jersey :))

21. the man has style!

22. 78 series from Coker are less than $100 each if you are a H.A.M.B. Alliance Member.

23. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Probably the best thing you could do is sell it to me. I have a soft spot for 53 F-100s, as I was driving one when I met my wife of 28 years. Mine was red, 327 Chevy powered. I ran white walls with 56 Olds Fiesta wheelcovers.

24. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

thanks for everyones input... im in holmdel new jersey... its central... just a bit above asbury... if anyone is knows about the lanes...

25. I agree with the aforementioned body-colored grille. Chrome is pricey though. What I'd do on a budget is pull that grille off, and put a coat of original-correct cream color paint on it and steelies painted to match. That w/ an economical subtle drop goes a looooong way for good looks!
    Nice truck man! enjoy it!
    JML

26. I Drag

I Drag

I just bought a '55 and it has the same taillight lenses with the Ford script. Man, I hate those...way too fussy.

27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Mustang wheels wont fit your chevy or your truck just for the record.
    A cheap mod is to take every other leaf out of your springs to lower it. It will actualy give it a better ride.

28. duste01

duste01

So you can get a peep mirror that bolts on the top of the door, so no holes. Lmc sells them. And if you want to get the chrome look, try eastwoods chrome in a can. Now thats cheap, but it looks good.