Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas Prices - Ouch, list good mileage cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uhh not to be a dick, but can we get back to talking about hot rods? I mean really, how long have we been hearing about gas going up to $5 a gallon? They mentally conditioned us for this over the course of the last three or four years. Too f*cking bad. Let's suck it up and stop posting these stupid god damned threads. They are the EXACT reason I stopped going on the Ford Truck forum.

2. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I was reading a article today about diesels. It said the old Rabbits were rated at 46 mpg.

3. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

To fuck with guys like you:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Dave

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Ohh...
    Allright, as long as you have a good reason...:)

5. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Actully, with my experiences with a 98 vr6 jetta (the fast one) they tend to not need to be wrenched on every weekend, if you keep them up and maintained you wont need to wrench on them hardly ever. And you say old beetles get 45+ miles per gallon, as an owner of a 70 VW baja bug it gets around 24-28 per gallon id say thats with a 1641 and dual carbs, my last one was a stock dual port 1600 and it never got more then 31. Even a 1200 single wont get more then 40 let along the 45 you talk about.Looking at old VW commercials from the 60s on youtube, one of thier slogans were "an honest 25 mpg".

6. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

My daily is a '04 Chevy w/a diesel. When my wife is off it is her '03 Impala to save on the diesel. I am going to start driving my '63 Corvair to save on fuel and get more exposure to sell it.

7. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I drive a '86 Nissan Hardbody Z24 Four Banger and a 5 speed. I average somewhere between 30-35 mpg City-ish. I drive up hills and such too, and down them, so I guess It evens out.

Trucks a 4 wheel drive too. The only modifications to it is someone cut the cat converter off.

Since their common as hell and run forever, I think I'm going to use one in my '37 Chevy (with hoodsides of course)

8. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Even though the price of fuel is higher than ever and it is certainly on topic to discuss I'm sure this post will get locked down. So, I just wanted to post before it happened. :D

So, what can get 60 mpg? An more info on that Berkeley?

9. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

Human legs.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'm partial to fully enclosed 3-wheelers - the modern super-bike powered ones don't get great mileage, but have incredible performance. Knock the cc down to something more reasonable & you'd easily return 60mpg....

A modern interpretation of the KR200 would be cool...I like them funky Messerschmitts!

11. Great. I think you just told everyone here who does not drive a tank that they are negligent and/or completely ignorant because they MIGHT have an accident.

I drive in Chicago every day. On the fringes of the ghetto . Deliveries. During the summer on a motorcycle. Guess that makes me suicidal. Atlanta traffic makes me yawn. Semis rolling weekly?? We got squad cars and paddy wagons rolling here. Chicago Ghettos would make you shit green. Especially if you fear driving anything smaller than Rhode Island.

Where in hell did insurance come up?? Just because I don't buy a car based on fear means I automatically skimp on insurance?? Or are you feeling the need to insult someone??

I don't measure up to your standard of wasting money. Never will. But then, too, I had to earn everything I have, because my parents died young, and broke. Not everyone HAS $95 to waste just because their vehicle HAS to have its own zip code.

I'll still laugh, just harder now.

Cosmo

12. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

FWIW, I find it odd that my GF's 2000 Pontiac Grand AM gets worse mileage than my 1999 Town Car (real world 18-20 mpg city, 24-26 HWY), but I've seen the numbers in person and lately I've been filling her tank. I was surprised to see first hand that small cars + a V6 doesn't always mean good mileage. For the cost, I'd much rather drive my car. ;-)

13. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

I just bought my first new car ever. its a 08 chevy 3500 dually diesel. it gets all right mpg for weighing in at 7600lbs with me and a 1/4 tank. and im in the peddle all the time cause its fast and fun. :D

the ol lady drives a 91 Camaro with a 305/700r4 she gets around 20-24.

with diesel costing 4.89 here i went ahead and thru this together (yamaha xs650). i filled it up today after riding around for the last few days and it cost me 4.83 :p

Every one should buy a bike... but i do know what tudor means about likeing a big truck. i drive the camaro and i feel like im going to get crushed by all the trucks and suv's. but i never felt that untill i started driving my dually.

[​IMG]

14. petebert

petebert

I had a 80 Rabbit diesel once, I bet I could get 40mpg in the city, only took me 20 seconds to get to 60 too! Never checked but my highway mileage might have been worse then city because it needed so many damn rpms to keep up on the highway.

15. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

I had an old rabbit diesel PU back when .. 0-60 in half an hour. Turning on the AC was like slamming on the breaks. 60 mph was about top speed with the AC on. It was good on fuel though.

16. duste01

duste01

hell get ya a bike, you can get the mileage and justify annoying the neighbors with the straight pipes, AND listen to that old blap blap blap at the same time wondering how close to a flatty you really are.

17. customfalcon63

customfalcon63

i drive my falcon daily it has a 170 and it gets somewhere around 18-20 MPG. i drive 40 miles daily from home to school and have been driving it for about 7 months now and haven't had any engine problems.

18. Laugh all you want man. It isn't about what you've had to earn or how broke you are when you get hit. It's about kinetic energy.

Drive a bike or a shit box and enjoy!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.