Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59/'60 Cadillac - how much paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, May 27, 2008.

1. Abomination

Abomination

Man, that's a LOT of surface area...

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about purchasing my primer, sealer, and paint early on in the process.

1. Is this a bad idea? How long will it keep?

2. How much primer, sealer, and paint will I need?

~Jason

2. Abomination

Abomination

No, this is not mine...

~Jason

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

It's been awhile, but I want to say my 59 Chevy took about 2 gallons

4. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

I can tell you one thing... It'll take 13 cans of rustoleum spray paint. lol

-GothY-

Attached Files:

• 59.jpg
      59.jpg
      File size:
      24.7 KB
      Views:

5. chebby

chebby

wow 13 isnt bad, you were skimping. on a 66 cad it took me like 2 cans per door. talk about labor intensive, never again.

then i tried with the 1/4s i ended up using like 3 quarts, also gave that car the shittiest paint job ever. well it was my first paint job ever too.

6. Abomination

Abomination

Nice! LOL!!!

[​IMG]

~Jason

7. Abomination

Abomination

Of each (primer and paint)?

How many coats?

~Jason

8. cashman

cashman
    from minnisota

I do a lot of painting and wouldnt get the sealer or paint until your ready for it. most paint store's can mix it in a couple of hours if you let them know when your ready to paint. geting a car ready always takes longer than we plan and there is no need to have your paint just sitting around

9. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I'm in the process now of painting my 60 Deville. I used two gallons of primer because I have block sanded the car 3 or 4 times.

You should be able to paint the car with 2 gallons. This would probably enable you to paint the door jams, under the hood, under the trunk, etc.... . By the time you add hardeners and reducer you will have close to 2.75 gallons of sprayable paint. You might be cutting it pretty close though, with a car this size.

Since sealer is generally sprayed over pretty lightly, you might figure a 1/2 gallon.

You are looking at different quantities if you are going use base coat/ clear coat.

Be sure to post some pix when you're done.

10. Abomination

Abomination

I hate sanding.

There's a guy I know with a '60 body on a rotisserie right now - straight as a pin, with all the paint gone. It's been that way for 3 years, and it's VERY tempting to buy it, paint it and put it on my chassis... LOL!

~Jason

11. Abomination

Abomination

Gotcha - I'll setup a cookie jar fund for the paint!

~Jason

12. Abomination

Abomination

Let me know how yours goes - I'm curious how much more I'd need.

Are you using 1-shot, base/clear, or what? I'd thought of using a 1-year-only Lincoln color - a '93 Lincoln Rose Mist Metallic - which looks like Sienna Rose (a factory '60 color), only candied pink...

~Jason

13. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I'm going to paint mine "old gold metalic" from Kustom Flatz. I didn't really want to jump on the "Flat" band wagon but I think the color will look good on the 60. If I don't like it, I'll sand and clear over it.

I've painted 50, 52, 56, and 68 Cadillacs that I've had using base/ clear coat in black and I'm just tired of the shinny paint right now.

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

I think that was 2 gal just of paint including the door jambs, dash, and under the trunk lid... but didn't include the roof... or the other gallon or so I had to use when I messed up. :D Your car is bigger than the BelAir though. It didn't include primer or clear.

15. Abomination

Abomination

What about the interior?

Anybody know how much it paint would take to paint the entire interior and top on something like this?

I'm wanting a white dash, and matching roof...

~Jason

16. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

If you don't have a paint gun yet, buy an HVLP. It sprays paint so that more of it ends up on the car, and not floating around in the room, and landing on the floor. You will save about 1/3rd on the amount of materials.

17. Abomination

Abomination

Anybody done something like this with a vacuum cleaner, or with those "compressor-less" paint systems like Eastwood sells?

~Jason

18. cptkid

cptkid

The roof area is completly coverd by the head liner (unless you go without) the only area in the interior that requires paint is the under portion of the dash (witch is really small) the actual dash is a pad. i have seen it painted.

19. Abomination

Abomination

I meant the bottom of the dash, and the top of the car (outside - the roof).

There are misc. vents that need painted, etc, too.

~Jason

20. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

Oh, I almost forgot, when I painted my 73 cadillac extended, tall top hearse it took me just under 3 gallons with me also doing the jambs, skirts, and some other misc parts. That was with single stage satin black. In primer it took approx 1 1/2 gallons to cover and for touch ups and such. I hope this helps you some... Probably close to the same surface area.....

Attached Files:

• 73.jpg
      73.jpg
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
  21. Squablow

Squablow

I'm also interested to hear some opinions. I have a '68 Caddy that I'd like to paint, and I have a gallon of Glasurit green basecoat that I'd like to put on it but I don't know if it'd be enough. Perhaps if I sprayed down the whole body with a similar green first. At the body shop I used to work at, if we didn't think we'd have enough paint, we'd spray down a first coat of the closest color we had laying around, so it wouldn't take as much to cover.

22. Abomination

Abomination

Hey - I've done that with models... ;)

~Jason

23. racer67x

racer67x

sidepipes and a Prostock scoop on a tall top..lmao

now I've seen it all.
    :)