Register now to get rid of these ads!

electric fuel pump - pre-filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodwerkz, May 27, 2008.

1. Hi - i've posted this before and didn't really get a good response. Anyway i've been using one of those shitty mr-gasket inline clear view crappo fuel filters for some time. While i was out this weekend it clogged solid, not the filter but the inlet because the design is shitty and the thing that holds the filter actually threads into the inlet restricting flow. i cleaned it out on the side of the road and even then found that the canister was still going close to empty so i tossed the filter too to get home..

I'm running a standard carter electric deal, about 8" lower than the tank (spun aluminum 7 gallon deal).

Does someone make a simple inline screen filter? I'm thinking a canister filter before the pump is a bad idea since it takes a good amount of suction to draw through. Anyone got a good recomendation? What are you guys running?

2. Well I have a screen type filter down inside my gas tank. Then right out of my tank I used one of those 1 1/2" metal clad fuel filters that you can buy off the shelf at a local auto parts store (easy to replace later). The fuel then goes to my Carter pump, then through a Jegs Canister filter, then through a bronze filter in each of my three Rochester carbs. My fuel is clean.

3. I used a billet screw together from some body. I put it after the pump on the TBI. so far so good. You can take it a part and clean the screen ????

4. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I am using a clear clamp on filter pre pump on mine. It's nice to be able to look under and see what condition it is in.

No problems, but I've got about 2 miles on this setup. Pump sucks the fuel through no problem tho.

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

If you have a debris problem (as you obviously do) the prefilter is to protect your pump, not your carb. Run a mesh filter, not a paper element, and the only restriction will be debris. If it's out of sight I'd go with an aluminum housing AN filter, they have cleanable screens that can be serviced roadside without carrying a spare filter. Good luck

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

On my 40 Ford, I had a electric fuel pump with a filter before the pump. It came that way from the parts house. I got mine @ Car Quest but I believe it was a Carter.

I would look ... but I sold the 40 :)

7. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Right now I am running one between the tank and electric pump and also one before the carb. It is some cheap clear ones I picked up at a swap meet. I got a new tank to replace the old gas tank and I plan on running a different filter before the pump when I get the tank in.

8. fuel tank is clean but still get the occasional small debris. the inlet was being restricted by a small flake of rust, probably from the gas pump..since the inlet is partial blocked by the threads of the center piece when it's assembled it aparently doesn't take much.

i have a identical clear filter up by the carb but i'm going to replace it because it sucks and looks to street roddish anyway.

for those of you recommending the billet deals which one are you running? most of them have pretty fine paper elements.

9. 53chieftian

53chieftian

I also have the cheap carter pump on mine and I bought a tin body filter for a chevy with fuel injection to put before the pump. Its the style that would normaly clip into the lines on both ends. I took the clips off then used rubber hose and clamps. They are designed to catch smaller debis. Only prob i ever had was make sure its level otherwise it cavitates and the pump runs dry. once i figured that out its been smooth sailin for about 5 years. My tank WAS filthy and i went through about 4 filters in the first year but nothin made it to the carb and i can buy a replacement filter at walmart or where ever.

10. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Thats not what I am running. My set up was temporary till I figured out why the car kept dying. I got a bad gas tank, I think.

Look at what Mike has at The Hot Rod Company. I think I will get a clear one from him. I think I have one similar to that on my 33 and have not had a problem with it. www.thehotrodcompany.com

11. 53chieftian

53chieftian

I had a plastic one on before but at some point a rock hit it and cracked it! That sucked! At least if the metal one plugged i could knock some of the crap back out and get to a store still using the filter!

12. Shown here - to the rear of the elec fuel pump is a horizontally oriented Wix fuel filter.
    It's like a small oil filter, but it is a fuel filter.
    The Wix part number on the latest one I bought - which was a couple weeks back - is #33358.

[​IMG]

The filter does a good job and lasts a long time.

It's adapted to a single aluminum remote oil filter bracket carried by most Speed Shops.
    Last one I got was from Summit.

The only thing you'll have to do is remove the double ended remote filter bracket nipple - which is 3/4-16 on both ends - and make up a nipple 3/4-16 on one end and looks like maybe 5/8-NF on the other end.
    Other than that, no probs and the gasket is the right size for the remote filter bracket.

Most all of the remote filter brackets are set up for a Fram PH8a filter - although a Wix oil filter is way better than Fram - or a shorter version.
    One short oil flter would be for the 67 Barracuda 273 engine, but I don't have that part number handy.

I've been told there is a Wix fuel filter available that's the same size as the PH8a filters and screws right onto the remote oil filter bracket with no problems.
    The nipple on that is 3/4-16 both ends.
    If you have room there shouldn't be any problems using the larger fuel filter.
    Wix filter box printing says "fuel filter" right on it.
    An oil filter could perhaps fail with todays chemically strange gasoline.
    Do yourself a favor and stick with a fuel filter.

I use the smaller filter since it came off my little brothers drag race Henry J and was already set up.
    He went to fuel injection on his 468" Olds and used a different filter setup.

The HJ at the time - pror to the injected motor - was running low 10s at about 127 mph and fuel flow & volume was sufficient for that and should be sufficient for the majority of street motors built or not.

Be sure and install a quality ball valve - gasoline resistant - so you can swap filters without spilling gas....

Note as well that the screw-on inline filters with the glass have been implicated in more than a few car fires.

13. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

C9s filter is a great solution, but if you want something that never needs a replacement element and is compact, look into one of these. There are adapter fittings that would allow it to screw directly to pump inlet fittings. This one is pn 230101 but there's a bunch out there including different style ends

[​IMG]

14. thanks c-9. so i guess a canister filter as a pre-filter isn't a bad idea. I was worried about cavitation...

I can imagine how these shitty as filters could result in a fire. especially the ones that have the screw in plastic ends. They are just way to difficult to keep tight.

15. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shifty, you just take it out and clean it now and then?
    Has a stainless screen?

I run a similar Earls filter w/stainless screen in the fuel tank vent line as a spark arrestor.

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Yeah, little pleated screen, remove & backwash to clean. Super, super, super fine. I'd been on the fence about em for years, but then talked to the guy that runs waterman's fuel injection pump shop in Indy (super nice guy, Doug maybe?). He convinced me of the screen's benefit and I've been using them for years without problem, no more paper elements in my fuel systems.

It's handy being able to service one more item on the car without spare parts.

17. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Cant make out the brand name..can you post please and is the pn is from where????

scott

18. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

ive got a fram race style filter before my pump (holley red) and it works great never had any problems out of it in the 7 years of daily driving.

19. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

summit racing..................

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like to plumb inline a AC brand, frame mounted filter. It is a cannister type and has the ends cast into the mounting bracket that accept 3/8ths double flared fuel lines.

[​IMG]

:D