Register now to get rid of these ads!

New rear suspension for my Track-T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRoadster, May 22, 2008.

1. TRoadster

TRoadster
    from Georgia

Here are some pictures of my new 3 link rear suspension. After reading on an earlier thread about the problems with old ford rear radius rods breaking under load, I decided to replace them with a stronger setup. I wanted to use something different so I went with the 3 link.

Attached Files:

2. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Why are the shackle mounts so long?

3. TRoadster

TRoadster
    from Georgia

I wondered if someone would notice. I originally based my suspension on a 1950's t roadster race car. That cars rear spring was several inches further back than mine to allow access to a quick change rearend. But by accident they found the car handled better on the track than with the spring located closer to the rearend. I think it has to do the geometry, movements and pendulums. What ever it was I liked the look and knew it was race prove... so I incorporated it in my tract t.

4. Is the driveshaft going to hit the crossmember for the top link? Remember you will be putting weight on the suspension, and you have to account for up and down movement too.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Gives a longer spring base, which is desirable, a reason most sprint cars use torsion bars.

6. TRoadster

TRoadster
    from Georgia

Fat ASS Whitewalls: The cross member does look close but I measured and calculated the amount of upwards movement the driveshaft will move and the shocks will bottom out before the driveshaft make contact... even with the weight of the ever thing else. The engine and transmission sit low anyway. I plan to add a hoop for the driveshaft there also.

Rootie Kazoootie: Thanks. I knew it was something like that but I couldn't remember last night while typing.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm guessing you're referring to Duffy Livingston's Eliminator. One of the most punk rock hot rods ever. Love that car.

8. TRoadster

TRoadster
    from Georgia

Kevin Lee is correct. I first saw the original Eliminator back on Speedvision in 1998. Was flipping through the channels and watched the last 30 seconds or so. I was hooked. Then a few years ago, I was at Books A Million and saw the book. Bought it, read it, dreamed it. Found everything I could on the car including buying 50's hot rod magazines off ebay. I've always preferred the track t's over t buckets... same basic body, different style. That's why I'm building a track t.:D