Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Offy

Offy

There is a guy from Pa, Syner Productions I think, that does old sprint and big car videos. I have a few and the earlier clip may be part of his work come to think of it. I'll see if I can put my hand on one this evening to get an address as I got them a few years ago and haven't seen them lately.

2. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

WOW that Dusie is about perfect for the street, except it looks more like a "one and a half", rather than a two-man car !

Tom

3. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Turn the volume WAY UP!!!! That thing sounds sweet!

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't have a lot of interest in the modern Indy anymore, but I will probably watch this weekend and root for Davey Hamilton. Think I will see anybody jacking up their high zoot, carbon fiber, unobtanium, Honda powered "go karts" like this? :D

BTW- If you like REAL INDY CARS, (roadsters, of course) check out this site for a BUNCH of pics:http://gwadagone.fotki.com/

Attached Files:

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Taking my 9 year old boy for his 3rd year in a row and my 24th in a row 29 in total (fuck the race!)for qualifying this weekend anybody else heading up??? Yhea it has changed but you gotta start them somewhere.We plan on leaving Sat afternoon....

6. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

The Hoosier 100 is this weekend?

I did find this site with several pics from the 68 Hoosier 100:
    http://www.artemisimages.com/gallery.aspx?photomode=3&categoryid=4263

7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

8. racer5c

racer5c

9. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

YOU GOT THAT SHIT RIGHT!

11. WOW!

That was great. I saved it to my favorites. Great pics.

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

13. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Qualifying and bump day was pretty interesting! Also I made it to salem for the H.O.S.S. show.. Kinda funny.. A michigan boy set fast time then the race was won by an indiana boy in a canadian car! Great track.. Was good meeting up with Ryan yesterday at indy. Im just out side of Cincy right now and im going to meet Josh today. Gotta try and get this room for another evening also as the wife took sick last night so im leaving here here today.. I wondered what or where i was going to be tonite anyway.
    Dave

14. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Dave
    Sorry to hear about the wife, hope she is doing better.. Was good meeting you yesterday as well, hope the rest of your trip goes well talk to you soon.... Ryan

15. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ryan I just got back here to the motel a little while ago. The wife is doing better and Ive had the time of my life.. Josh gave me the TOUR.. :D:D I have wood.. I got to see his shop and of course its in with Wade another + .. then we went to Zakira's and his dads and the the hi light of the day for me was the hoffmans.... Dam i love them sprint cars....
    Josh im sure your gonna read this ..I owe ya.. Thanks Again..
    Dave

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Yhea, Josh's tour's are ACE'S! I told you it would be worth the drive! Glad your wife is doing better and enjoying our neck of the wood's....

17. QueenCityMotorsports.com

QueenCityMotorsports.com
    from Cincinnati

I came across this HAMB board while searching the Web for info on Doc Bowles, and later was directed back here by e-mails from Mike W. and Josh. In searching the web, I came across this awesome page dedicated to the Hisso cars, which Doc Bowles owned at one time.

Most drivers of Hissos were known as ‘Hisso Chauffeurs’ because it took a special talent to drive one. The main reason was you had to keep the r.p.m.s up. Otherwise, it would take two or three laps to get them wound out again!” – Tom Delagrange, owner of the #100 Delagrange Hisso<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

Clay Corbitt in the #22 Bowles Hisso
    [​IMG]

Bowles Hisso @ Dayton Speedway
    [​IMG]

Hisso engine drawing
    [​IMG]

Start at this link, and there are yearly links at the bottom of the page, as well as many links on the pages that will send you to pages on the cars and drivers.
    http://www.winfield.50megs.com/Hisso.htm

18. QueenCityMotorsports.com

QueenCityMotorsports.com
    from Cincinnati

19. QueenCityMotorsports.com

QueenCityMotorsports.com
    from Cincinnati

20. fastroadster

fastroadster

Anybody have any pictures of Hank Butcher??

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

This is from Marty Kobatas' excellent site, lotsa Nor.Cal. BCRA-NARC etc. pics, programs. http://public.fotki.com/nitram22/

Attached Files:

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Great history there, thanks for the link. I remember the # 98 "Chief Auto" car from the late 50s early 60s upper-midwest IMCA fair circuit.

23. fastroadster

fastroadster

Thanks alot. Hank and I use to drive together, we are both from Redding and started driving quarter midgets. Jimmy Boyd also ran with us.

Great Memories

24. Race Artist

Race Artist

My apologies if I missed something along the way here ... is this supposed to be the twin to the car that Clark Gable drove in the "To Please A Lady" film ... or the one that Mauri Rose drove? If this is supposed to be the double to the Gable/Mike Brannan Spl. #17 Big Car (on the Championship Trail and Indy) it looks nothing like the car. It may be the Rose car but certainly not Gable/Brannan's.
    Joel

25. Race Artist

Race Artist

Not a full car shot but here's a movie still, obviously a studio shot, of Gable in his #17 To Please A Lady film car. It was a solid axle traditional upright dirt car.
    Joel

Attached Files:

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Not sure.. I was going by what I was told. Interesting! I'll check it out.

Here is the "other" car, The actual Movie car. They said the movie was "to please a lady" but doesn't look like it from your "still pic" above..

"they" have been wrong before!
    [​IMG]

Thanks.
    JD

27. Hey Guys!
    The "Please the Lady" Champ/Indy car is in Tom Malloy's collection. He runs it. The last time I saw it was last year, when we ran at an exhibition at California Speedway. The blue car in the photos just posted looks like one of Lou Moore's "Blue Crown" Specials.
    "Dawg"

28. racer5c

racer5c

Tell us who you are??? Hank was racing in Australia when Rutherford drove my dad's Midget there.

29. racer5c

racer5c

Posted some pics from THE Speedway today, vintage cars were on display, they run Friday. Got to hang out with George Bignotti, A.J. Watson, J.R. Willie Davis, Sonny Meyer, just to name a few. Was an Honor to even be around those guys!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/racer5c/

30. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Great pics, I wish I could make it up to Indy this week but probably not going to have the time. Might try to squeeze in the Night before race. Anybody else going?