Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 or 32 what is the differance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zx14, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zx14

zx14

looking to build a Highboy, looks like brooksville is the way to go. But what is the differance between a 31 and a 32? other than the body is half the price.

2. The short answer is "everything".

They may look similar if you haven't studied them forever but are two totally different cars.

JH

3. about 20-30 k

4. HoldFast

HoldFast

If you want a 32 you pretty much have to go brooks these days or be ready to shell out $50,000.

If you want a 31 you can find some decent real tin around.

Me personally... I like 31's.

5. Lucky77

Lucky77

Intro? and its Brookville by the way.

6. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

31 is a model A and a 32 isn't a model A, your talking about two totally different body styles they are very different and when you look at them side by side the differences will be obvious.

7. Good question. I like the one where the doors open funny, myself.

8. dutched32

dutched32

doors open funny...wtf? You need to do a bit of research

9. 31whitey

31whitey

funny like delorion doors...

or funny like lambo doors

a 32 with lambo doors would be sweet...right guys....guys...hey were ya goin...guys

10. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

You need to back up a step or two and do some reading and research. If you don't know the difference between a 31 and 32 you are either extremely nieve or you're from another site we all hate and are trying to get a reaction from this site.

11. 63_nova_ss

63_nova_ss

maybe that's why he is asking... because he doesn't know.

12. You have to know a secret handshake to own a '32.

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Exactly.......the car world doesn't revolve around traditional hotrods, like most here think.
    99.9% of car guys probably don't know the differences, espcially considering how many A's are thrown on Duce chassis'......

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I hope this doesnt turn into a 32 snob thread

15. Larry T

Larry T

Or the opposite.

16. Rusty

Rusty

Kinda like what is the difference between a mustang and a camaro

32 are the real deal

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

lol....;)

18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Hey...I resemble that remark...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like a motorcycle guy new to HOT RODs with a name of ZX14. currently the worlds fastest production bike.

20. At least 32s are out of the rat rodder's price range, so I don't have to see them go that way.

21. Django

Django
    from Chicago

because 31's are fake?

Nothing like the difference between a Mustang and a Camaro. Not even close. Ever.

He's asking a newbie question, so the polite newbie answer is '31 is a Model A and '32 is a Model B or a "deuce" and generally considered the greatest Ford of all time and THE quintessential hot rod despite the fact that the racers as far as I know, preferred the smaller Model As on the salt and dry lakes.

22. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

31's have a ugley dent in the firewall.

23. Done right, both are gorgeous.

JH

24. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I really can't tell them apart mainly because I don't know what to look for. After spending the day walking around billetproof in florida I am even more confused. I swear, at every old ford I walked up to, some person was saying great 32.... Now I know they were not all duece's, but the mixing of grills, firewalls, frames, etc has me wondering as well.:eek:

25. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

32'
    [​IMG]
    31' (model a)
    [​IMG]

26. Lucky77

Lucky77

A quick way to tell is by looking at the cowl. 30/31 Model A coupes/roadsters have a separation above the belt line where the gas tank can be removed, and in stock trim have a gas cap in the middle of the cowl top. 32's have a cowl vent flap and the cowl is one piece. Plus deuce coupes A-pillars are slanted back whereas model A's are straight up.

As far as the roadsters, look at the windshield stanchions. Model A's basically come up straight from the cowl. Deuces jut out then up from the side of the cowl top, kind of like a 26-27 T roadster.

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The original ??? was the difference between Brookville R-O-A-D-S-T-E-R '31 and '32 BODIES.........

28. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

this thread is getting really dumb.we here all know the difference between the two a newbie may not so lets not ridicule him and give him the proper education.............
    if only the old GERM were here

29. banjorear

banjorear

Or how about a bright orange '32 with the number 01 painted on the side and a rebel flag painted on the truck lid.

Yeah, sweet, now we're talking...

We could weld the doors shut and one of the guys in the car would have to slide over the trunk lid to get in. We could call it "The General Lee"

Wait, has that idea been done already?

30. If you are talking roadsters the Model A is slightly smaller inside and out with different windshield mounting/posts. If money is an issue and you can fit into it, go with the Model A mounted on 1932 frame rails. They look very good. Otherwise the 1932 roadster is the icon of hot rodding. It will give you a little more room inside the cockpit and the trunk. 32's generally have a cleaner more proportioned look. Look for a flatter firewall, a cowl vent, flush fitting doors and the gas tank hung between the frame rails below the trunk. The stock Model A has the gas tank in the cowl, a flat grill shell, a stainless trim band around the cowl, and more.

Just study the differences in the Brookville catalog and read every Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Street Rodder, etc. magazine back their inception and you can look at many examples of both in every issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.