Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ask and you shall recieve - how to tell between a 30 and 31 Model A cowl?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, May 18, 2008.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

* SEE PICS BELOW*
    If anyone's been keeping tabs, I've been wanting a Model A for a LONG time. Last year I found a 28 cowl and a few bits, but couldn't afford it at the time and when I could, it was all long gone.
    So I kept plugging away at my 50 Chevy, steadily losing interest as I was slapped upside the head every time I saw a picture of the various Model A projects here on the HAMB.
    Last week, I came to terms with this and admitted my infatuation and vowed before Gawd and the HAMB that I would sell my Chevy and start lookin for a Model A.
    Well, yesterday while driving around picking up various parts with a couple vintage racing buddies, we made a detour to see a friend of theirs. When we pulled into his long driveway, my eyes were immediately drawn to the Model A cowl sitting in his wife's flower bed.
    Long story short, I bought it and even managed to jump up and down a bit on my crutches.
    I'll try to post some pictures up tonight or tomorrow so you can all see how bat-shit crazy I am for wanting to build an entire car out of this one piece.
    The firewall tag is mostly illegible, but I know it's either a 30 or 31. Is there anything to look for that would tell me which year I am now the proud owner of?
    Thanks to all for the information and inspiration.

2. raided a friends wifes bed .. and jumped on your crutches ..
    wow HAMB power

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

:D:D:D
    When you say it like that, it makes a much better story.

4. "Wanna see what I took from my friends wife's flower bed?"
    He must be very understanding?

5. Bodacious

Bodacious

I don't know if there are any distinctions between those years, if there are, I don't know them. But congrats on finding and getting the project material you were seeking. :cool:

6. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

AFAIK other than some of the 4 dr sedans the cowls are the same. The "late" 31 firewall has a large indentation were the fuel line goes thru rather than the flat 30 thru early 31 firewall.

7. A dead on way to tell if it is a 30 or 31 is look behind the firewall behind the gastank (interior side), where the radiator supports attach to the firewall. A 31 has plates that were added to reinforce the support brackets, a 30 does not.

8. Chris P

Chris P
    from Tucson

there is a tear drop shape in the fire wall for the fuel shut off, also there should be a steering drop under the dash rail.

9. Gigantor

Gigantor

For a 30 or 31? It has a drop down for the steering column ...I'll check that other stuff when it's light out. Thanks for the tips.

10. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

the teardrop shape is only late 31 the steering drop I belive is all 31's

11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the indent
    [​IMG]
    I have 10 30/31 cowls and this is the only one like it and have been told its late 31.

12. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

1931 was the first year that the windsheild was tilted back.

And I agree with coupeHead on the brackets.

13. David Chandler

David Chandler

I'm pretty sure that the column drop on the 30's was on the underside of the tank. The 31's are suposed to be on the dash rail I think. I have seen 3 and they were always on the tank, and didn't have the indented firewall.

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

Looks like I have a 30 cowl - thanks to all who participated. I'll throw picks up this evening just to make double sure, but that's great to know.

15. Lots of bad information here. Slant windshield, column drop on the dashrail, and teardrop firewall is late 1931.

16. Gigantor

Gigantor

Here are a couple pics I snapped a few minutes ago. I'm thinking about building a giant tub to give this old girl a nice long Molasses bath. In the meantime, I'll be saving up for some patch panels and replacement supports.
    Thanks again to all who chipped in their two cents. So, this IS a 1930, right?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Gigantor

Gigantor

Notice the GIANT crutch I'm hoping to be off of by tomorrow in the last picture! Wish me luck.

18. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

It has a '31 column drop on it. Congrats!!

19. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

What is this "Slant Windshield" you speak of ?

I have a Legit Late '31 in my back yard and it has "NO" slant to the windsield.

The only "A" i have ever seen with a slant window is Vicky or a 4dr Sedan.

And those cowls are Completely different than the other Ford Bodys.

20. That's a good news, bad news deal. You have subrails, but no one reproduces pickup half-rails, you have to spend to buy ones for a full length body. Unless you find a back half with rails like I did - it looks like the tudor half I picked up last year would mate right onto that cowl. If you end up chucking them for repros, ship 'em to me -

21. ryndboys

ryndboys

Check the title!!!!

22. You are correct about the slant windshield cowls being completely different than the other Ford bodies. Ford made slant windshield Fordors, Town Sedans, and Cabriolets in late 1931, and Victorias starting in 1930. In other words in the last months of production. The steering column support was moved from the gas tank to the dash rail and lengthened to alleviate the stress on the gas tank from people pulling themselves into the car by the steering wheel, thus preventing the gas tanks from developing leaks. Ford made the teardrop in the firewall to move the gas shut off valve to the engine side of the firewall to prevent leaks to the inside of the car. So, if you have a slant windshield cowl - 1931 (with the exception of 1930 Victorias), tear drop firewall - 1931, steering column support on the dash rail - 1931. A firewall with the radiator support rod brackets that are reinforced with steel plates on the inside of the firewall - 1931. A firewall that does not have the support plates on the inside of the firewall - 1930. I hope this clears it up. :D

23. David Chandler

David Chandler

Nice score. So what's the plan? DYI frame? Modified or RPU?

24. Gigantor

Gigantor

What's the plan? Well, I got a source for a frame and once I'm off these crutches, I'm hoping to take a tour of his "secret stash" and see what I can see. I might have a lineup on the back half of a tudor sedan, and as much as my heart yearns for a 5-window, I'm not convinced I can fold my lanky ass up enough to fit into one comfortably.
    I love the look of Plowboys creations, but don't know if I could pull it off, or even if that's my style. I've seen some homemade boat tails that looked pretty dang neat too. The RPUs are too cool for school ... I'm going to have to do some serious soul searching to decide what theme and direction I want to go.

25. Okay I stand corrected on the Vickys, however Murray bodied Model A's were beng produced as early as 1929, although not Slant Windshield.

26. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

27. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

hey gigantor-do me a favor and measure the windshield post for me please? The top bar of mine is goofy, and I need an accurate measurment to see how chopped mine is.
    Thanks!
    Lux

28. Gigantor

Gigantor

Will do, once I get home - stay tuned.