Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasoline Bastards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vettes2, May 15, 2008.

1. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

Here in Oklahoma City it seems that several gas stations are selling gas with up to 7% blend of ethanol. The pumps have no indication of ethanol.

The Governor signed a Bill yesterday requiring all stations to label pumps selling any ethanol. It becomes effective July 1, 08.

A local TV station went to several stations and tested 8 of them. 6 had ethanol between 5 and 7% . If your MPG drops like it did in one of my cars, it might be the gasoline/ethanol .

One station owner made labels proclaiming he had 100% gasoline with no ethanol , they were on every pump.

I have no problem using the stuff, but the difference in MPG is screwing the public more than usual for the price difference. The stations can buy the blend 40-70 cents a gallon cheaper, but sell it 10 cents cheaper than regular.

http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=8327128

2. Ramblur

Ramblur

I spent about 3 yrs. in Tulsa in the early 80's and I'm almost positive
    all the QT's were selling a 10% blend then.Never had any problems
    then that I remember,but wonder if it helped the bottom of my tank
    develop a severe case of pinholes later on. BTW,Ibelieve it was posted
    on the pumps then...

3. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

They been doing it here for years.

4. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

its sold at all gas stations here in MN .I do not notice much performance difference in my daily driver (97honda civic) but in the truck and my older motorcycles I can feel the loss of power. and if you let it sit for over 2 weeks it goes bad and gums up the carb

5. raceratrod

raceratrod

I drive a new ford f150 they starting using 10 % here in fla no break on price and mileage went from 16 to 15.5

6. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i never have noticed around here but then again i buy my gas at Sams. ill have to look to see if they have anything like that on the pumps. i have noticed the wifes car is getting less gas mileage than it used to, and on trips we still hit the Sams to fill up.

does make me wonder now...............

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Been using ethanol in dailies with 300hp engines for the last 15 years, 105 degrees or -20 degrees, never a problem. Never a rusted out tank, never a gummed up carb unless you were talking normal 120,000 mile interval rebuilds, never vapor lock, nothing. Also never noticed a mileage drop when comparing mid grade with 10% ethanol to low grade without ethanol. Yes, premium offers better performance but my mileage figures haven't justified the cost difference. Some of my cars sit with the same fuel for months. I don't use stabilizer and my carburetors and injection don't gum up. Don't believe the negative hype, it's just not real.

Either that or my chevies have some mystical power that y'alls other brands lack.

Back on the original topic, pump mislabeling is not cool. Consumer should be buying what the label says. Probably a lot of you using ethanol and not realizing it, not all states require labeling.

8. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

on a trip west to utah last summer i came across a lot of stations along I80 that had ethanol pumps and pumps with 100% gasoline.. I tried the ethanol mix cause it was cheaper and i didnt notice a thing different in performance or mileage.. Im heading on a trip tomorrow after noon that will have me in indiana and southern indiana and Cincinnati ohio and back to indiana then back to michigan may 25th with driving almost every day. ill have to take note of the fuel i buy and check mileage and prices..
    Dave

9. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I beleive there is a EPA mandate that all gas has ethanal in it.

10. Here in NY most gas has 10% ethanol now, its $3.95 and am getting less gas milage per gallon too!!!!

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

nope... least if their IS, lotta stations around the twin cities and here in the Green Bay area are ignoring it. hell, even quite proud of the fact they dont spike the gas... one little station over towards the lake here has a sign over the register says "we put our liquor in drinks, not tanks"

12. Offy

Offy

You sound like a corn farmer to me.

13. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

most of the shit is made outta sugar beets, least up this way

14. kenny g

kenny g

Ethanol ..methanol .are hydroscopic.That means they will absorb
    water.You know what water does to your fuel lines ,tank ,carb.etc.
    We ran methanol in sprint cars,if you didnt drain the system and
    flush it .It ate fuel pumps.Tank alloy line plates.Plus 3 miles to the
    gallon.First thing you did when you got home,drain and flush.

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

blah blah blah... up to 10% for the last 15 years without fail... don't get your panties all in a wad.

16. they have been selling that crap up here for years

17. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

Seriously. Everyone on this board has been running up to 10% ethanol for years.

18. Hey Ken. That sounds like my routine after a good night partying!! As soon as I get home I drain and flush>>>>. Good luck on the gas rant>>>>.

19. Judd

Judd

I tried some 10% last night in my Comet, no ill efects yet except the extra dammage to the enviroment over regular gas.

20. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Years ago i worked on anything and had this big cabin cruiser to work on.. they lost one of the gas caps and one tank had water in the fuel . I had a 55 gallon drum that had about 15 or 20 gallons of methonal in it from the sprint car racing days so i pumped the gas into the 55 gallon drum.. Damn near filled it up.. I had a ford short box pick up with 300 6 in it and i ran that gas mixed with the meth all summer and never a problem.. It ran great .. My first thought when i got the idea was i had a 55 gallon drum with 15 to 20 gallons of dry gas in it..:D:D Ive got another story about 12 barrels of oil on a farm 30w that were un opened but had gotted condensation in them.. Thats another story on how we got around that problem ... Oh ya it didnt work..
    Dave
    Dave

21. Don't worry over the price of gas too much people. It is relatively cheap at the moment. By summers end (August) it will at $5.50/gal and higher in some areas. By next summers end, it will $9.50/gal at a minimum. Where it goes from there, your guess is as good as mine, but one thing is for absolute sure. It will continue to go up until we stop using so much of it or we start drilling in America again and I don't just mean those 21 or so states that allow drilling now. ALL 50 have to allow it.

22. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

You must work for the news media? Thats bull shit.. ya it will go up but how the fuck do you think people can afford gas at 9 bucks a gallon when they only make 9 bucks an hour.. Believe me where i work there are people making less.. So either you work for the media or your just brain washed from listening to the assholes.. I did a little research tonite and if you listen to the news media the forecasters and the politicians your gonna get a gazillion different answers and id bet most of em will be wrong.. :D
    Dave

23. Yeah, I do notice that I get worse mileage with the alcohol blend. They've been adding that stuff into gas in California for a long time supposedly to cut down on smog. I think it just cuts down on power and mileage. I've heard a few people who started having vapor lock problems with that stuff too when they have really hot engine compartments. I think the gas stations should be required to tell you exactly what you're getting just like it has to say what you're eating on a bag of Fritos.

24. No, I do not work for the media. It's worse than that. I did work for "big oil", but retired now, and the costs of obtaining a gallon of oil is going up and it isn't under big oils control and worst of all, the costs of refining over three thousand different blends/mixtures, just in the US is driving it up, up, up and up. Why three thousand blends? Ask your state, County and City politicians. I CA alone, there are two thousand blends. Stipud,,,yes, but required by local law.

25. Yeah you dont work for the media. But i would bet you get a pension check from the oil company you retired from. You can never justify the record oil co profits in the billions while the US economy is going down the tubes. Most folks here in Ark. dont make $9.00 an hour. My wife dont and she works for the State!:mad:OldWolf

26. ditz

ditz

One of the major contributors to gas prices is the WAR. We are using over a million gallons of fuel each and every day for the WAR. .......I have been watching the amount of traffic in my area for the last 3 years. The only effect the price of gas has had on the amount of traffic is an increase of traffic. I believe that if the price goes to $5/gal next week there will be just as much traffic as there is today. Folks will cry around about the price for a few weeks but after a while it will be status quo. If you don't like what is going on in our government get out and vote out all of the incumbents currently in congress and get some fresh blood in there. Our current representitives sure as hell are not representing the general population. Quit whining about it and do something about it.

27. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Oh, is it July 1st already????........:rolleyes:

28. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

29. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

I am misiing your point?

30. boldventure