Register now to get rid of these ads!

..about hitting animals....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by staleg, May 9, 2008.

1. Five deer have died after confrontations with my cars over the years. Severe damage to a German Ford Sierra and my Chrysler Town and Country. The three that got taken out by two different Saab 99s did no damage to the cars except leaving a little hair in the grill.

2. Zerk

Zerk

Poetry.

3. What the hell kinda prehistoric monster is that? That is an ugly bastard.

4. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Been there, done that but in a Ford Van. Horses ass ended up between driver and passenger (or you could say between the other two horses ass). Never knew how much was in a horses intestines until then.
    I also hit a wild hog once.It was black and just a little shorter than the top of the hood. Didn't see a thing just all of a sudden, wham like you ran into an invisible wall. Took us a few minutes to find what we had hit.
    Once on a Harley poker run, my partner and I was tooling down the road me on the inside and him on the outside. A dog came flying out of a yard right in front of my partner. He never flinched and hit the dog head on. Bent the wheel and forks and of course he went down. Sent the dog back into his yard yelping and dragging his back legs. My partner is laying there, bike busted, him bleeding from road rash when the dogs owner comes out screaming at him for not even trying to avoid the dog yelling about how we were going to have to pay the Vet bills. The law and Court saw it different, $20.000 later I bet they kept their next dog in their yard and out of the street.

5. 9fingerdoug

9fingerdoug
    from VA

hit a skunk coming home from a gig in the rain
    the dog was pretty interested in checking out the truck when i got home
    went to car 1st thing in the morning; wasn't to bad after that
    took a few weeks to totally clear out

6. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

A baby seal walks into a club.....................................................................................................................................

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

8. primed34

primed34

Several years ago a couple of buddies hit a mule at speed in '57 Chevy. Those hood gunsights field dressed the thing before it came through the windshield. My son run over a 45 pound beaver the other night, never heard of that before.

9. Got a funny story...and a sad story...
    Funny-My sister-n-law hit a Great Dane and totalled my brothers 67VW! Always hated her, HA HA!

sad-My parents hit a 1200lb Elk, in a VW Van, going into Flagstaff Arizona. Totalled their van. My mom lost her right leg and almost died! 1995 was a rough year for us...Week before that, my cousin was killed after she hit an Elk and it went through the front windshield and pulled her into the back of their station wagon, kicking and tearing her up. Her husband was following her in their van and saw the whole thing!

Did anybody see the Formula 1 driver who hit the dog on the track, this weekend? Killed the dog, obviously, and took him out of the race. Tore up the front suspension.

10. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

On the mention of Americas turned back to hunting being the sole reason for deer incursions upon the road. That has got to be one of the most narrow minded, pathetically obscured, futile attempt at validating a completely misguided pat on your own back, and FU to anybody that might hold a more thought out moral standing. Other than it being misinformed and complete cowpoke conjecture, but it's totally devoid of proving anything other than the author not knowing shit. May I point out that the southern homestead from where this comment came, has population ratio with the northeast, that the comment is directed, is something like 1 S : 20 N. So I guess suburban sprawl and the likes may not have any bearing on it? Living in PA and having one of the highest animal incident records as a state, while having a continually dwindling deer population, still would probably mean nothing by your statistics. Of course lacking any valid rebuttal to that I imagine it will be just easier to label me a "Liberal", and bitch your life away.

All this, and what I really want to say - whatever your reasons for building that windshield, that is a damn fine job. Always a fan of the Duvall style. And consider routing out part of the center buttress if the view aspect is a concern for you, it would still offer plenty off structural stabilit. Not advice, just an idea.

11. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Yeah when i saw that dinosaur lookin thing in Tony's lane, i instantly remembered this huge gap between the firewall and the not really attached floor in the ground scraping '32. All i could picture was that snapper flyin into the truck and biting him in the junk! I was laughin' even before he hit it!

12. Way back in the day, while towing a race car to the drags, we hit a deer so hard it froze the tranny in third gear. I had just finished driving and was fast asleep in the shotgun side. My dad saw the deer, kept the car straight and nailed it broadside. My head slammed against the dash, loosened a few teeth. I thought for a split second that he had fallen aleep and drove a freaking cliff..LOL. Really screwed up one brand new 1959 Ford Ranchero.

13. Fuckin near got 2 deer last night at hwy speed! Saw the first one barely at dusk and automatically knew there were more...hit the brakes just as the second one jumped in front of the truck.If I hadn,t of hit the brakes the second one would have become the next barbeque....

14. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Hit a deer once, it didn't do any damage to my car. Well driving 200 yards, at 60 MPH, across the corn field to hit it did knock the front end out of alignment a little. :D

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Never mind the damn animals!! I wanna see more of your home brewed windshield frame!!:D

16. Dunno man...this deer (story goes that it was running on an over pass, car passed it, spooking the animal, it jumps over the guard wall and happens to connect with this Durango at freeway speed). Aside from being coated with venison gore, the people in the truck were ok.

Attached Files:

17. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

When I was 17 and still living at home with my parents, I was driving a little Nissan 720 pickup. (Give me a break, it was the mini-truck phase).

Anyway, this little pickup was tight, and ran like a striped assed ape down the road. The speedo went to 120, and I could bury the needle almost at will. It was lowered, had wide tires on it, could push a beer can until it crushed enough to slip under the cross member, and cornered like a vette. It was a slick little pickup.

Cruising home from dropping my girlfriend off at her dad's place - exactly 28 miles from my parent's home and 15 minutes before MY curfew - so I poured it on. Lets face it, I was young, dumb, and at that time, only half full of....

Well, I've got the needle buried, and only manage to pass 2 cars on the way home, so I figure I'm home free. Hell, I figured if a cop lit up on me, I'd be gone on a side road with my lights off before he could even turn around - lets just say I knew the area quite well. I'm running down a 2 lane blacktop road with almost no shoulder at all and a speed limit of 45, and my speedo is pegged above 120...

I clipped the top of this little ridge and there in the middle of my lane was the biggest damned dead dog I had ever seen. Seeing as how I was moving at over 150 feet per second, there was nothing I could do but hit the damned thing. WHUMP... THUMP... and the ass end of the little pickup jumps up in the air and floats sideways a bit. I recovered, slowed my ass down, and made it the next mile home.

Next day you could clearly see where I hit the dog. Blood trail for the body went one way, and the trail for the head went another 50 feet further down and curved to the opposite side of the road.

We put the little pickup on my dad's alignment rack to check everything out and 'lift it back up because I was tired of hitting stuff' and there was fur and guts everywhere under that thing.

Either way, I wasn't late for curfew.... luckily.