Register now to get rid of these ads!

what kind of race car is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, May 11, 2008.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Is this a dirt track car? A stock car? I'm not really sure. It's looks like a little bit of both but not exactly either...

Attached Files:

2. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

i dont know but it looks awesome, maybe it was ran in that pan americana thing in mexico

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Actually, I'm inclined to think it's a Fgure 8 car. Don't know the area it's from but a lot of tracks designated 3 didget numbers to the f-8 cars.

4. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

That would be a Hudson, a 55 i think.

5. upzndownz

upzndownz

could have been either dirt or paved car they were dual purpose back in the 60's they only needed to change tires for whatever surface they raced at// for that matter maybe it was in the first talledaga race cause they let anything with wheels in that race so maybe its a surerspeedway car

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I dont know either, but I sure do like it.
    Dont change a thing, it's just too cool the way it is. Put some glass in it and drive it!!!

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I'd guess paved circle track, and not much at that. It certainly looks used, and if it were on dirt or figure 8 it'd only be that straight for it's debut performance. The way it's put together looks very 70s thru early 80s.

Lotta 3 digit numbers come from 2 guys wanting to run the same number at the same track. Second guy who signs up to be #70 ends up as 70X, etc.

8. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

more...
    308 dual carb H motor with a 3 speed on the floor. interior looks very removed and caged. i'm guessing a later model too but the fact that it retained Hudson power seems strange.

Attached Files:

9. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Not too strange. The hudson motor was still a contender well into the 60's.

You own it?

BTW, either clean your camera lense or remove your thumb from in front of the lense :p

10. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Yeah, the Hudson motor was pretty well done by the 60's so if this was a 70's or 80's car, that wouldn't make any sense at all. I'm guessing it must be older...
    I don't own it but it might be at the Rumble this year with me behind the wheel.

11. That second set of pics show a pretty sophisticated car. Weight jack, look at the bends on that cage etc.....

12. Frank L. hughes

Frank L. hughes

Doc Hudson, Dirt track. Awesome:cool:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

What did the E-bay discription say it was?

14. butch

butch
    from Michigan

check that rear end looks like it splits down the center

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

In Central NY in the early 60's there were several tracks running sportsman stock classes. Some tracks called them bombers, some called the hobby class.

Basically stock cars, stripped out with black pipe roll bars and nearly full bodies.
    They allowed cut wheel wells to keep from having a lot of cut tires. V8 had to run one carb, 6's could run 2. Some tracks were dirt 1/4 miles some were paved 1/3 and halfs.

Change your tires and go. I bet that old Hudson was in the lead alot owing to the lack of wrinkled body parts.

Nice find. it should run real nice with that carb set up and headers. Just don;t expect a lot of revs out of it. Looks like a 308, 4 1/2 inch stroke 160 horse stock. What is the trans????

That heavy duty right front hub hints strongly at running a lot of dirt. Right front tire and wheel took a lot of abuse on the clay.

Wonder if it ran the Flemington, Reading, Nazareth circuit?

Perhaps this was a competitor

[​IMG]

16. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Ebay said it was a stock car. He also said he didn't know. Sean bought it because he thinks it was more NASCAR. It just seems to be awefully nice for the age. No dents, little actual rust and the construction seemed much better than most of the plumbing pipe race cars that I've owned.

17. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

That cage is pretty advanced for 60s roundy round. Like nascar advanced.

I'm just pulling this out of the air, but here's a possible back story for that car.

Built by an old timer in the 70s/80s that knew what he was doing, but either didn't finish, or didn't use it hard. It explains the condition, the outdated engine, and safety level of the cage.

Dirt track, especially in rural areas, took a long time to adapt cage requirements. 60s woulda still been water pipe cage (if any) for most classes built around sedans.

Also look at the tire size. For the 60s that woulda been a real fast class, not something you run a 6cyl in. By the 70s the tire size woulda trickled down to slower classes.

just some observations. Neat car for sure.

18. 41woodie

41woodie

Ok I'm saying dirt car just because and as to it's number the dual carb, aluminum head Hudson engine was called a "7X". They may have had to add a digit because the number was already taken OR, it could have been a team car where one was 7X and the other 70X. Buy it and set it up to run historic races. That thing would be a blast to play with.

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

BTW, was that a chunk of the windshield I saw in one picture? That would almost certainly mean it was never finished & raced.

Has the roof ever been removed or did they install the cage the hard way?

20. k9racer

k9racer

Saftey hub on front. 3/4 ton split housing rear end nice cage.. Around this area in the late 60s the tracks changed the rules from 53 and earlier to 55 up cars.. So more than likely some one built the 57 or so hudson to comply with tha later model rules. This car more than likely was fast as no body damage or it was factored out by cubic inch limit rules. this happened to a hudson racer in thios area. he smoked to many v 8 chevys so a 292 cid rulewas installed. nice car worth saving from a history point. also check the inline and hudson boards.. Bobby..

21. Lucky77

Lucky77

The remnants of a windshield make me lean towards a paved track car. Dirt trackers almost NEVER ran windsields and usually had a piece of expanded steel or some sort of screen in front of the driver. The front sheet metal is too closed up to be a dirt tracker as well. Those guys had to have a lot of radiator exposed with a shaker screen due to the build up of dirt on the front of the car. My buddy's dad ran a "Flying Stock" at a local track back inthe 60's. They had to have 6 cylinders.

22. One junkyard we went to had a bunch of cars that ran places like Accord Speedway in southeastern NY state. While most of them were 55-57 Fords and Chevys, there were a few oddballs - a '63-4 Ford Galaxie, and a '54 Plymouth more-door, complete with flathead six, crude cage, and cut out wheelwells.

We have a '57 Chevy built about like that, too, crude cage (looks like iron water pipe), mostly stock exterior, bumpers and so on. In fact it's weird because the firewall on that one is cut out and the engine is set back a few inches, where the other two '57 Chevy stock cars (all of them came from the same area) which are much more sophisticated cars, don't have any setback.

That car is so wierd someone has to remember it, though, a Nash-body Hudson stock car.

23. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

The previous owner said the car ran on the sand at Daytona. The pictures I've seen of other Daytona cars at that time still had pretty full interiors in them? It also comes with extra wheels and manifolds so these wheels might not be correct.

And yes, that is a piece of windshield. It will get glass again. Not sure if this can be put on the street or not but it's gonna end up there a few times regardless...

24. Ramblur

Ramblur

Hhmmm,how cool is THAT! I'm gonna guess some early attempt at
    a retro stock car.Sheetmetal looks pretty virgin.The GT-1 stickers
    I'm gonna guess early 70's.Looks like a 262 head which was common
    to bump compression up.Early twin-H manifold modded to run twin
    2 barrels(stock was 1 barrel Carters).Is that an oil cooler to the
    right of the water pump?What about trans? Stock used a wet clutch.
    Hudnuts over here would love to get an eyefull of this and can
    probably provide more info.http://www.classiccar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13
    Looks like they already spied the ebay listing.Anyway,what it really
    looks like is lots of FUN!

25. This picture makes me think it was raced on a high-banked, paved, right-hand turns, oval course.

Thanks,
    Kurt

PS- There are a couple/few of those years Hudson Hornets on a farm near here.

26. k9racer

k9racer

If the car came from daytona I bet Glenn McGlonie { race historian and hudson and flathead ford expert} might have owned it or would know the history.. He spends a lot of time on the early V8 boards.

27. hot rod surplus

hot rod surplus

i would put it as a paved car . ihave just bought a 58 delray super modified just like yours got all the frankline stuff for it quick change and hubs and 55 buick drums and and 12 inch truck brakes . goner run 383 stroker motor with hilborn injection . but a long ways to go . heres my car.

Attached Files:

28. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Boy, the cages are sure similar on your chevy and this hudson. I've read on the Hudson site that one of the previous owners was a guy named Don Whitacre of Ocala Florida. Maybe I can find him while I'm in Florida this week and get some information.

29. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

night crew got any ideas?

30. john56h

john56h

Could have run the beach course at Daytona in the 50's, then been resurected for some short tracking in the 70's. Current configuration sure looks like mid 70's to me.