Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PunkRodder, May 10, 2008.

1. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Can anyone id this motor? It was on a 60's or early 70's truck. I have never seen a flat sided valve cover like this one.

Attached Files:

2. draggin breath

draggin breath

BOAT ANCHOR it's a 352 or 360 Ford,depending on the year. Will keep your boat from drifting evev in the swiftest currents.

3. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Hard to tell from the pics but that looks like an FE exhaust manifold. FE's were from 332-428 cu in.
    Here's a pic of my 428 in the Model A

Attached Files:

4. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Large sized Ford.

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

was going to say 360 or 400 m ford , like stated above good balance for a load of scrap metal

6. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Really? Not worth fucking with then?

7. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

It's definately an FE. Judging by the vac advance, the late valve covers, the alt, and the drivers side acessory bracket, I'd say a very late FE, maybe 69-74, which would make it a 360.... Then again, that drivers side acessory bracket looks like something that would be in a passenger car, like a smog pump bracket. It's possible it's an automotive 390,,, or dare I say a 69 model 428,,, but then again, it's a 2V.

Just too difficult to tell with FE motors, but since it has the bracket for the smog pump, which was not installed in trucks, and the only FE that I'm aware of that had the pump was the 428, and a tiny handfull of the last 390's, I'd investigate this one a little further before letting it slip away.

8. oldsman71

oldsman71

expensive to build,not too much power,but someone should want it. sell it. cjc

9. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

I will go back in a couple days to pick up some parts. what should I look for?

10. PumpGasRatVette

PumpGasRatVette

A chain to hold the boat!

11. 1rustyhighcab

1rustyhighcab

it looks like it's in a 73-79 ford pickup. which would mean its probably a 360. that bracket on the lower right side of the engine isn't for a smog pump, its actually the lower part of the alternator bracket. it's missing a bolt and has rotated down about 90 degrees from where it should be.the braket on the left side is for power steering. the only way to tell what engine this is for sure is to measure the sroke. The good news is they weigh about 1100 pounds fully dressed. with metal prices up a 360 might actually be worth something.

12. I disagree.I have had several FEs.A well built 390 is an excellent runner with lots of torque.I think one of Fords best designs for performance.Parts are expensive though as compared to the boring sbc since they are now considered obsolete.
    My 2 cents.

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look again, not an FE.

You are looking at a mid 70's 351M/400. 351 cubic inch, but exactly the same as the 400 inch version, except for the 400s 4inch bore and stroke. Possibly, but not likely, a 351C, as they look almost identical. You would need some better pics to tell.

Your basic 351M/400 isn't terribly desireable...underpowered in stock form, heavy for only 351 cubes, and one of the uglier motors Ford ever made.

But, aftermarket support is better than it has ever been. You can get cams, intakes and pistons now. Not a bad little motor with some work, or leave it stock and put it in your parts chaser.

But what the hell do I know?? I'm a Pontiac guy...

-Abone.

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know...that might be an FE..... The valve covers are pretty square for an FE, but the water pump and exhaust manifolds kinda look FEish.

A better pic would tell for sure. If you visit this motor again, check if the intake manifold is about half of the cylinder head. If so, it is an FE.

If it is an FE and is original to that truck, it is probably a 360 or 390. In my opinion, a bit better motor than the 351M/400 and WAAAAY better looking. Lots more performance parts available, and tey will make good power with a cam, intake and exhaust.

Hope I didn't confuse you...and remember, I'm a Pontiac guy, so what the hell do I know.

-Abone.

15. 100% FE Look at the four bolt adapter for the oil filter!!! Don't walk away from this in my neck of the woods these are desirable and much needed>>>>.

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, you are absolutely right. I did a valve cover bolt check and it is definately an FE. Please disregard my ramblings about teh 351M/400.

If it were me, I would grab it. Remember, the 352 and 360 are the same FE family as a 406, 427, 428 etc. LOTS of neat speed parts available and it will make decent power.

A dual quad or tri-power intake and a cool set of valve covers and that would make a kick ass hot rod motor. A dolled up FE is a good lookin sumbitch.

Good luck, -Abone.

17. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Strip all the bullshit off that truck motor, add some finned aluminum, and it will look like this..

[​IMG]

Kick ass hot rod motor.

-Abone.

18. Cad La Dave

Cad La Dave
    from CA

I thought engines ran off of fuel and motors were electric...

19. Oh fuck here we go again.Engine---motor. Propane---diesel. 301---302--- Shit were did I put my glasses>>>>. I must say flamedabone ,That's one fine looking engine!!

20. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

21. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Yeah I agree that fucker is kick ass. My only issue is that it is going in to a model A PU. Wonder if it is to much MOTOR?

22. David Chandler

David Chandler

The FE was Fords Nascar engine for quite a while during the 60's. Even if it is a 360, you can probably stroke it with stock parts to a 390 or a 410, if my memory is correct. Even with the whimpy 2bbl and a single exhaust a 390 would hustle a full sized Galaxy along nicely.

23. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

OK is there some indicater on the block or intake that will tell me it's CI?

24. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not really. I would bet it is a 360/390 only because it is in a 73-79 Ford Truck. Once you get it apart, it might have "352" cast into it somewhere, but that means nothing.

Don't worry about it, just drag it home.

-Abone.

25. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

There is an old 30~31 roadster hidden away here in town i used to see as a kid.

It has an Early 60s T~Bird 390 with lotsa chrome and it was Very cool & very fast .

I'd run it if i was into Later Big Ford engines, I was after onr for awhile for a '59 Fairlane i once had.

Pick it up, the only guys given ya any shit must be in the 700 club !

You know 350 Chev + 350 Turbo = 700 club :D

26. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Yeh I was kinda thinking the same thing. 700 club thats a good one. Some guys are afraid of a challenge. What should I offer the guy? The tranny is a auto which I am not really interested in.

27. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Hell im a cheap bastard...

Last running engine i got was a Late Roller B/B 454 for my Flatbed & i just traded some work on a kids '47 GMC.

One before that was a running & i saw it '60 389 for $100.00

What do ya wanna spend ? If it needs rebuilt I wouldnt pay much.

Kinda like the "Needs Rebuilt" 331 Chrysler hemi i bought for $200.00 :) ... It ended up being an old hot rod engine with Dome pistons, Big Cam & adjustble pushrods, W&H DuCoil dist & a few other goodies.

Ask what HE wants & go from there.

4spd stuff is Plentiful in early trucks... I have the whole set up from a '65 390 manual trans truck..

28. oldsman71

oldsman71

on second thought, my last ford truck had a 390,it worked,plenty of torque,does it run?

29. oldsman71

oldsman71

if you get it to run,rock and roll!!!

30. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Not sure the old man is pretty tight. Most times he shoots for 350.00. He is hard to bargain with. He is 92 so I think he figures he doesnt have anything to lose.