Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gene Winfield Book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 7, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I had a couple Hare krishnas try to give me a free book once in an airport. Nothing cool like the Winfield book though!

Gene always seemed more real to me too, like you mentioned. Not a big showman. He's someone I'd really like to meet sometime. I think I'll have to go out and pick this book up, thanks for bringing it to our attention!

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

4. I need more pictures of the car on the cover.
    My brain needs to see the rest.
    Thanks for the review.
    I may just have to let the moths out of my wallet and buy a copy.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Gene Winfield is a ruler!

Malcolm

6. 53burb

53burb

Cole Foster looks up to Gene. Notice any likeness.......perfect hair? KNUX!

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Just ordered it.

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

My copy is on the way. I saw a pre-published copy at Detroit. Thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting for this one !

9. When Tyler(flt-blk), Phil(67imp), and I were at the Winfield school in Midland, Tx I met Lanny. Lanny is the guy who owns/owned the first car that ever recieved the "Winfield" fade.

He showed me old and new pics and the progress it's made to get to where it is right now. It's a heavily kustomized 56 chevy. He regained ownership in recent years and it has taken 3 or 4 56 chevies to bring it back to life.

Gene is the koolest kustom guy I have met. He's humble(ish) yet protrudes skills like no other. Gene does rule.

Reverend Jake

10. CruZer

CruZer

Ahhhhh,, the man who never gets old !!! Isn't it amazing how he looks as young now as he did 30 years ago?

11. Got to meet him and have a photo with him at this years Autorama on set up night. A true highlight for me.

12. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

13. Took your advice on 'The Birth of Hot Rodding' book, not disappointed in the least. It is definitely a 'must have' for any hot rod guy or gal. (been thru it twice already) If your givin' this one the nod, looks like another book is due for the collection. Keep givin' the good ones a shout out when ya come across 'em. Hate ta nerd out at the Barnes and Noble and not find anything 'hot rod' friendly stuff.
    Keep the HAMB centered up and on course.........thanks for the reference material!!!

14. Elrod

Elrod

Oh yeah! This one is NICE!

15. LDNFAST

LDNFAST

he is the best i had a chance to hang out with him at detroit this year ..hes a genuine man

16. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll definitely have to pick up a copy, I got to talk to him for almost twenty minutes in Winnipeg last fall- really neat guy, very encouraging! I couldn't believe he was a day over 65!

17. akjim

akjim

A bit off subject. but, does anybody know what happened to Leroy Goulart's ford? The first version was the best. Winfield painted the second version, but I don't know if he did any bodywork.

18. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

I watched him chop a top @ paso a couple years ago, He was a madman! His work ethic is something else. I would like to see a book on Bill Hines next.

19. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

Yeah Gene is a great guy he gave me a copy last week when he was up here painting the King "T". Its getting put together as we speak all post some pics in a couple weeks when its finished the chrome work is amazing everything got chromed... frame/ujoints/axles....every nut and bolt $$$$

20. Weasel

Weasel

Gene seems to have found the secret to the fountain of eternal youth. He is simply phenomenal, in the truest sense of the word. His energy level is still that of a 16 year old and yet he is 83 years old, but looks at least twenty years younger. I had the privilege of working on a project with him several years ago and when he gets going you almost feel as if you have to put him in slo-mo as he is like a blur, he moves so fast.

He has the undefinable touch of greatness - he is down to earth, friendly and fascinating to talk with at whatever level - to anyone. He lives life to the fullest each and every day - what a life, what a legend.

21. it was on the Dennis Gage show"My Classic Car" not long ago,they showed this car and even atempted to drive it...........it was draged back to Winfields shop with the tv camera truck when it died on the road not to far from his shop.But some good views of da car

22. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

There is something about these crusty old fuckers that is appealing. It's like they have forgot more than most people will ever know.

23. DrJ

DrJ

I just bought a copy at Border's. :cool:

24. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

The autor, David Grant, has been a friend of mine for over 20 years,
    and worked for Gene as a kid. He's a genuine Hot Rodder, and
    craftsman, and has won his class many times at Pebble Beach.
    It's nice to see a real car guy put out a nice product.

25. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

He's a legend and makes everyone feel as if they are too. He's always been very nice and very genuine to us throughout the years.
    He takes great care of himself.

26. autobilly

autobilly

Ryan, you must be aware by now, of the influence that you have in the World wide scene. Enjoy the pirks of the great job that you do.
    As for the book, sounds good.

27. My Good friend/relative/mentor, Jerry Hill was good friends with Gene in the early 50's. Gene would go with him to Oakland Speedway to help with the CRA roadsters and midgets that Jerry drove. Jerry would then go with Gene to Kingdon and Gene would race his rail jobs. Gene has a neat albumn that he brings with him to car shows... and has pics of Jerry racing his motorcycle.

Why the ramble?

Yea, Gene isn't just a "Kustomizer"... in fact, I'd peg him as more of a hot rodder in his early days. The guy had gow...

I dig that.

Remind me to tell you my Gene Windfield story... and why he's such a hit with the ladies!

Sam.

28. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Funny you mentioned tailights on this shoebox. I remember seeing in a very old R&C little book a how-to article on these. I too thought they were very cool thats why I remebered them. If I recall corectly these were made from modified 56 Corvette tailights...I think:confused:

[​IMG]

29. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

Have some Kool-aid Bob,............

30. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!