Register now to get rid of these ads!

shipping a car North of the Border

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ton2660, May 6, 2008.

1. Does anyone know of a resource that ships vehicles North of the border and the process it requires?
    I found this 55 I would like to have but I am running into roadblocks every way I turn to get her home.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Type the words. "shipping a car to Canada" in your computer search box and info appears.

3. I am in Dayton, OH. I don't know where your pick up point is at, but I have hauled into Quebec before by crossing at Detroit. If you want to call me at 937-671-5537 I can discuss it with you.

4. RacerRick

RacerRick

Its not hard at all. I have done it several times.

5. 49coupe

49coupe

It's not that difficult as long as you have a clear title. Basically, you ship the bill of sale and title to the US boarder office 3 business days before you cross. Upon crossing the boarder, you pay the GST. Then it's off to the registrar for motor vehicles. More paper work, fees and then you can transfer the title to your name.

6. RacerRick

RacerRick

If the car is older than 15 years you fax a good clear copy of the ownership papers to the boarder crossing you are going to use 72 hours before you are going to cross. You need either a clear ownership/title for the car or a notorized bill of sale if the car is from a non-title state.

It also helps if you fax the bill of sale and any other documentation on what you paid for the car. Never waiver on how much the car is worth or how much you paid for the car - especially if you got a good deal. If the customs person decides that the car is worth more than you paid (and these guys are generally clueless) he can charge you more taxes, or deny the car entry. I have seen it happen.

If you are having the car shipped up, you will need a brokerage firm to import the car for you. They will take care of everything after getting all the paperwork from you, but generally do not do the actual shipping.

When the car is legally over the boarder you should have a "Form 1" that has been stamped twice, the second stamp is the RIV exemption. Then just take the form 1, and your ownership papers to your local ministry of transportation and get a valid title in your name.

if you are going to bring it over

7. italianhotrodder

italianhotrodder
    from sweden

some times i ship my car and bike with www.usacintl.com it's in los angeles the owners is Andy try him

8. Thanks guys, i will follow up on all these leads. THe car is coming from Clearwater Florida so maybe i will fly down and enjoy the sun, the only thing is it is 2,300 miles plus a 7 hour ferry ride and then another 300 miles to my home. Thanks Terry

9. I talked to the owner and he is taking the tags upon sale so i don't have vehicle tags to get me to the border so i guess driving it is out of the question. or is it?????

10. ton2660;
    Two options..get a "dealer plate " up here, or get a "temp' permit in Florida...
    I got a temp. permit and drove a truck from Denver to London,On.

Racer Rick has the bases covered...your exempt the RIV fees, as it's antique..but you still have to fill out the exemption papers. Don't forget to send your export papers to the border (uS Customs) 72 hours ahead of your arrival back.(save your fax copies..it will have the time and date on them)
    Then stop at Canada Customs and they'll take your GST ...
    Good Luck

11. will you have to pay florida taxes on car for temp plate and do you need florida address to get the plate?

12. ton 2660;
    ask the seller if he will put a Temp tag on it for ya..
    he has to work with you a little on this ,if he wants to sell it..