Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you get oil spots of your garage floor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doc Squat, May 1, 2008.

1. move, leave the stains behind>>>>.

2. Road Runner

Road Runner

Concrete cleaner from the hardware store is basically diluted muriatic acid (aka. Hydrochloric acid).

It etches the concrete and shouldn't be used inside a closed garage!
    Residual acid stays deep inside the concrete and will evaporate over weeks corroding any bare metal inside the garage leaving a generous coating of rust..!
    I don't know this from personal experience, but have heard about it many times and it makes sense.

I would not use any kind of acids, maybe try solvents or just simply soap and bleach in high concentration with some water and just soak the concrete really good for hours.
    Then you can use lots of sawdust or kitty litter to suck it all out of the concrete and coat with special garage floor paint.
    If you don't want to top coat or paint, you may have to do the cleaning and drying procedure several times to get rid of the stains entirely.
    But without harsh chemicals, I doubt it will ever look like stain free new concrete again.

3. olskool53

olskool53
    from CT

Its not an oil stain........Its sealer!

4. PRoz

PRoz

I didn't think it was a garage until it had some oil stains? :confused:

5. ryndboys

ryndboys

6. i dont mind my stuff marking out there territory... but the spotted owl trick sounds interesting!! :D

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

But does it leave the floor smooth?

8. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I found that NOTHING works well.
    My garage has been a workshop for twenty five years, and the areas under the hoists and where engines dripped are completly un-cleanable. once oil is in the pores of concerete there is nothing you can do to remove it. I painted my floor with petrolresistant sealer, and all the spots where i tried EVERYTHING to get the stains out ,the paint just fisheyed and wouldnt stick. I even surface ground those areas down with a diamond stone, nope, stain still there. one of the most frustrating exersizes of my life. the worst part of the workshop i had to get pulled up and re-poured.should have done the whole fucking place.
    i feel better now.

9. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cheap cat litter and fix the leak that started the spot..........or just put a "giant" cooking sheet pan under the car til' you fix the leak.

10. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

What he say, I work in a machine shop, and have had a few big oil spills and that is how we do it except we use speedy dry. But a oil spot on the floor left by your car is like a dog leaving his mark, let it stay.

11. Brian C

Brian C

The spotted ones have already been used, you want to try and catch one without spots. They're more absorbent.

12. RRP001

RRP001
    BANNED

That is funny, I will totaly do that.

13. Nelly

Nelly

DrJ - that was funny!!

14. KATFISH

KATFISH

Real hot rod's dont leak...They mark thier territory...

15. Why bother?

Just sweep it up and the dust, sawdust and anything else in there picks up the little drops and they eventually fade.
    Still there and still visible, but not bothersome.

If you've got a few minor leaks, put a shallow pan underneath.
    NAPA sells one that'll take care of the trans and engine.

Do you have a hot water heater in the garage?
    Better be careful with solvents and the like.
    More than a few garages have burned down due to someone cleaning parts with gasoline....

16. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Stains on the floor are proof you have an old car, like battle scars ,show them with pride.

17. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Thanks for ALL the advice. I think I'll go back to using my wife's cat. Was solid color now spotted.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Like I told the kid" Your music isn't to loud, it just sucks!"

18. Rd2Indy

Rd2Indy
    from OC

Best stuff I've ever seen/used (includingj ust about every combo you can imagine....try "Pour 'N Restore" (google it)
    I found it at Ace Hardware in S Cal, kinda like a liquid/citrus tootpaste that drys to a powder, brush it away. may take 1-2 apps for really bad oil/grease stains on the concrete drive.

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Muriatic acid will not have any affect on a petroleum product. It will also eat a hole in concrete. That’s why it’s used to clean concrete tools.
    It dose do a fine job on rust stains on concrete, but wash it off fast.
    I use acetone or lacquer thinner, if I decide to get worried about it.

20. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i cover any spots in a mixture of gear oil, atf, and motor oil, with a pinch of kitty litter

21. Once again if your going to clean the floor with shit that burns etc!! Unplug the fridge. Everbody has a fridge in the palace they call a garage. If that bitch kicks on when you got the floor scrub in action it's good night Irene>>>>.