Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Steering Wheel Smells Like Barf

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RF, Jun 25, 2005.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I've got some NOS license plates with the early reflective paint that smell bad like stinkin armpits. You know, the seething kind like those shakey old skinny dudes have.
    Armor all on some rubber floormats smells just like chicken shit. The first time I used it I was on the farm and kept looking all over in my econoline becuase I though I had tracked in some when I was cleaning it out.

2. Painting the steering wheel with enamel should stop the smell.

The next stage after stinky is crumbly....:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

What color?

I have a green wheel out of a 52 Deluxe

Tad

4. 2-TONED

2-TONED

i never saw this post before now.
    --------- bought a stinkin 57 vette steering wheel at a swapmeet a couple weeks ago & when i was buying it i could smell something BAD!
    first i thought is that me? my shirt? NOOOOOO it must be this lady i was buying it from she looked like she was up all night & smells like she slept on a wet tent or something bad! :eek:

anyway the wheel ended up stinkin up the truck on the ride home & someone pinpointed the smell to the wheel.
    -------now its stinkin up the area of garage it sits in. -----

i tell everyone a guy died in the vette this wheel came off of & he laid over the wheel dead for a month out in the sun! :eek::D

5. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I have a couple of old screwdrivers and an orange '53 Ford promo model car that all smell like barf. We take a lot of things for granted today, like scent-free plastic. You'd think that in 50 years, the smell would die down, but it never does.

-KK

6. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I was having lunch with my daughter at her school earlier this week.

I caught a whiff of something nasty.
    I smelled my food. Smelled my fork. Smelled my daughter. Smelled my hand. Smelled my pits. Smelled the little girl next to me (don't be wierd!).
    It got stronger and stronger.

Then I heard someone shout "Barf!"

There was a huge plie of puke on the floor right behind me.

Other than that, the school lunch was pretty good.

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. iluvcarparts

iluvcarparts
    from socal

Some of the early plastics were actually made from Soy Beans. There is a famous pic of Henry Ford whacking a 40s' deck lid with a sledge hammer to show how strong the stuff was. I heard the stuff would stink to high heaven when it got hot. They also used it in steering wheels.:eek:

8. sadayo

sadayo

Reading this thread was a great way to start my day, lol.

9. ALCOHOL, no really! Go to your local hardware store, buy a can of alcohol. It's a great cleaner. Keep washing the wheel till the paper towels are clean- may take many wipes. After that maybe once a month or before a long tour. Works great on my A wheels. Also keeps your hands clean. Note, Jim Bean does not work!

10. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Hahahaha... I had a new/old shifter knob that stunk like ASS!! Sprayed it with a couple of coats of clear and sealed up the smell. That did the trick. -stick

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

My neighbor always smells like that!

Attached Files:

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ive had some old tools with plastic handles smell like barf...needless to say ..Had them...i got rid of the dam things..hard to have a hangover and be working with those tools...not to mention hard enough to be working with a hangover..didnt need any help with barf smelling tools.

13. Crankhole

Crankhole

That smell is caused by something completely different.:D

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

True bakelite smells kinda nice. If you have something in your hands that you suspect might be bakelite, rub your finger on one spot vigorously for a few seconds, then smell it. It has a sweet chemical smell, kind of like a mixture of new tires and chicklets. I've never heard of it smelling like barf, though. That SUCKS. Maybe you could clean it real good and then spray paint it or something?

15. Gigantor

Gigantor

Maybe the previous owner(s) had poor hygeine ... imagine thousands of miles with grubby digits grinding dead skin cells and god know what else into the plastic... yuck.. I'm gonna go home and wipe some alcohol on my steering wheels now.

16. I had a steering wheel in my '75 Monza that smelled like egg farts when it warmed up.

Sam.

17. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Dude.

18. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

ugh ugh wheres that steering wheel been ??

19. I've got an old Philip's head that stinks like that, my girlfriend made me take it out to the garage and out of the house !..lol

20. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

The drawer in my tool box that contains Crapsman screwdrivers smells like shit! :eek:Imagine that! Actually, it smells like across between barf and stinky shoes.

21. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

That's very odd. I never sniffed the wheel in my '52 Chevy, but i never noticed a puke smell....

22. John50

John50

When i bought the steering wheel for my merc i was told it came off a boat in the 60's. it smelled like f%@*ing ass. I wanted to throw up. I painted it and cleared it a few times and it doesnt smell anymore. It was so bad i almost didnt use it out of fear it would transfer to my hands and never wash off.

23. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

If the wheel gets cracked from the plastic shrinking, the metal core is exposed and gradually there is a void formed between the plastic and the metal core. In there you get mold and decay, and really bad is like Nads said, the casein in the plastic rots from the inside. The one in my Galaxie had a laced cover on it, man when I took it off that was nasty. I took the wheel off and soaked it in vinegar. That seems to have done the trick. I still run a baby wipe over it once in awhile. But so far no stink after two years.

24. toddc

toddc

I've had heaps of Pommy cars from the sixties and seventies. If I left them in the sun ( Aussie sun :rolleyes: )with the windows up, it would fog the windows with horrible greasy shit. I figure it was the plasticizers leachin from the trim:eek::eek:.

Also, ever TIG welded without gloves? Man do your hands smell like death after that.

25. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

bakelite smells like formaldehyde when "warmed". it's phenolformaldehyde so that's why it stinks so bad like an embalmer's basement. you can test it to see if it's bakelite other than sniffing...this is a trick bakelite hunters (like my girlfriend and mother) use. take some Semichrome polish and a white paper towel. put some polish on the paper towel, just a little, then rub a piece of the suspected bakelite. if it is bakelite it will rub off a little and will be brown on the paper towel.

26. jimmyv

jimmyv

A bunch of my old Craftsman screwdrivers have the smell and get covered with white fungus looking crap. My old black handle Snap On screwdrivers started oozing a smelly/oily liquid out of the handles. I called Snap On and they said it was a know problem with 80's plastic handle stuff. Swapped them for a brand new cushion grip set.

27. 53burb

53burb

About the bad smelling steering wheel smells, just hang them air fresheners all over the wheel as ya drive.....hey, now there's an Idea!

28. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

or urinal cakes...maybe tile your floor instead of carpet? make sure the tiles cracked though first...might fit the puke scent better :D

29. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

You should've sold it to someone in the antartic, them egg farts are pretty nasty.........:D:D:D:D

30. weez

weez

The '52 Lincoln wheel in my shoebox smells like romano cheese, I try not to smell my fingers too much while driving.