Register now to get rid of these ads!

Killer scores UNDER $100...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Apr 24, 2008.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Too much stuff to count over the last few decades. the last being an Old Navy truck for free. $60 in gas to go get it.

Some of the more notable stuff over the years would be:

53 Buick Hearse $50
    Rough duece frame $20
    39 Tranny $50
    56 Buick Roadmaster 4drHT $50
    66 396 Impala $100

And the list goes on, keep in mind some of these were 40 years ago.

2. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

i got a running ford 300 with a c6 and a running 302 for free.

3. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

nos in box 36 taillight for 25 bux

Attached Files:

4. jhmagill

jhmagill

bought this for $100 with a title.

Attached Files:

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

FREE
    '66 Barracuda-runner, driver /6-4 spd.
    Pile of Ford axles, including a '32 Heavy with wishbone and juice brakes, an old dropped '40 axle w/ spindles, Model A frame
    (2) ET 5 hole mags
    Quite a few late model cars given to me just for haulin' 'em away that I just fixed and sold.....

Under $100
    Alot of stuff, but....the best was a set of old truck wheels, along with a Model A wishbone and an unknown '20's dash...all bought for $50.

6. last.brunneng

last.brunneng

Got a complete 289 for free, the guy wanted $20 for it, but when he whent to drain the oil about two gallons of water came out. I took apart and cleaned everything and sold it for 90 bucks. 351 for $45.
    Just this week got a 31 A frame with complete front suspension and wire wheels for $200, the guy even brought them halfway across the state to me.

7. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

Free running 52 Ford Flatty. Numerous tools, some weatherstripping, a '49 Ford Dash Clock, door sills and a work bench out of a metal shop.

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

AH. V.D. the gift that keeps on giving. ;)

9. BinderRod

BinderRod

Did you make Crab Cakes?

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

11. Chops

Chops

Got a 460 for $25.00, pulled it apart and it was punched out to a 500 with aluminum forged pistons. Now I just have to find something to put it in

12. demonspeed

demonspeed

I bought a 1968 ford 302 out of a fairlane for $40. needed to be completely rebuilt though, which cost about $4k.

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

A pair of cherry 30-31 Model A roadster doors at Turlock swap for $200, that works out to be $100 a door

Spaulding Flamethrower distributor for a 383 Chrysler for $20

NOS in unopened box Marvel mystery oilers, bought 2 at $20 a pop.

That's all I can think of right now....

14. In the last 24 months;

'27 Ford 5 window with 7 fenders and 3 doors - free
    '40 Ford Front Axle with spring minus brakes - free
    '48 Ford Rear Axle complete except for brake drums + spring - free
    Late (8BA) Edelbrock Finned aluminum heads - $100 (not block letter)
    300 amp Miller heli-arc welder with 2 gas bottles - free
    '77 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup one owner (donor vehicle) 454 ci with Turbo 400 - free

15. WeedsSpeed

WeedsSpeed
    from Kansas

In this neck of the woods people know I am a old car guy so I am constantly having people call me, my best score was a guy that bought a house in KC at a auction that was full to the top of crap the previous owner had some disease that allowed him to not throw anything away. I scored a free complete Black V8 50 ford 2dr sedan real clean car been inside for years a real neat scat cat mini bike and some other odds and ends the only stipulation was I had to have them out in a week if so they were free.
    Just recently I had a guy call and say Im cleaning up a farm and there is a old stripped grain truck would you be interested in it, so i said sure turned out to be a super clean 34 Ford pu all that was left was the cab+doors and rolling chassis I payed $200 for it because that was what it was worth in scrap.
    Monday night had freind that is a house Framer call and say there was a old pick up bed they were going to bulldoze to dig another foundation and if I wanted it he would grab it so he did turned out it is a model a pu bed rough tailgate otherwise its really good shape. It cost me 30 pack of beer.

16. alchemy

alchemy

More -

NOS in the box Appleton 112 for $75.

Whole '50 F-1 for $50: yielded good toploading 3 speed w/open drive, steering box/column, crossmember and pedal assembly, self energizing brakes, shock mounts, 16" steelies, kinda OK box, and $100 for the unusable scrap metal.

Dropped '34 axle w/'40 spindles and brakes for $75.

Dropped '40 axle w/disk brakes for $75. Sold the disks for $150 so that = a negative $75.

Can't beat my brother's find on a $1 pile though: 2-5/8" Stewart Warner curved glass fuel gauge. Probably a $500 value.

17. twofosho

twofosho

Beautiful pair of 34 Ford headlights at the last swap meet, 80 bucks for both.

18. llonning

llonning

Bought a 69 Chev Kingswood S/W, sold the 12 bolt posi axle gave the body to my brother for a road block. Kept the 427 and Turbo 400. Into the thing for a total of -75.00. Best deal I ever made..

19. 53 effie

53 effie

In the last month or two, a complete stuck Merc flathead and early 3 speed trans. An Edelbrock Performer intake for Ford FE motors $30.

When I was a kid; 2 seperate 34 Ford Tudor bodies and frames. A 51 Hudson Hornet 2 dr. All free. Those are still on my project list.

When I was 18, my 53 F-100 from the local towing company for $50. It as was abandoned by the previous owner. I drove it home with no water in it - about 5 miles. The original 6 cylinder was in it.

A year or so later a 32 Frame for $10. About the same time a 34 Ford 3W couple body - free - just had gas money in that and about a days work to get it from where it was. Sold the 34 3W body when I joined the Air Force.

About 25 years ago in West Texas, a 46-8 Merc convertable for $75. Complete body, the frame was cut off under the cowl.

I'm sure there were many others over the years.

20. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Sunday I got two 350 Chevys, three turbo 400s, three rearends, a box full of five brand new Edlebrock Intakes and various stock intakes, water pumps, fuel pumps, master cyliners and two sets of headers.

It was a guy who is moving to a mobile home park and had to clear his house out, I got it all for $50. And that was because he was going to give it to me, but I gave him $50 because I felt bad for taking it!

21. Kinda O/T but.....

Got a full dress 1981 Gold Wing Interstate for free, sold the dresser parts on the 'Bay for $850 and put the money in the Wing. Built a pretty rad cafe-style custom for the total cash outlay of $200, and that includes the new tires, battery, and front and rear suspension!

The guys at the Honda shop say it's too big to be a cafe racer....now they call it the Buffet Racer!

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

some cool scores all i ever get is abused lmao

23. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

When my brother packed up and moved a couple years ago he wanted to scrap all the "junk" out behind his barn. I told him I'd like it so he gave it all to me. Three Model A axles, complete with spindles and springs, one with '35 Ford wires on it, a banjo rear end, complete with drums and brakes. A pair of wide fives with the caps and rings. I also got some '50-'60 Ford steeering wheels and a column, a Nailhead three duece intake, a old big fog light, a couple neat chrome lever shocks, a Buick generator and brackets, a couple Ford brake drums that appear to be late 40's, with hubs that are all new parts. A very nice wishbone; and boxes of parts from the 40's thru the 60's stuff.I took the old homemakde frame that he took out from under his '34 Ford pickup just to use for parts. Theres' lots more that i can't reacll at the moment too. His son took the nice model A grill shell to hang on his living room wall :cool:

24. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

two of my buddies just picked up some of those big ass metalhalite light fixtures for $25 with bulbs. i hear the bulbs are $40 or $50 each on their own.

25. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

:eek::eek::eek:

26. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

that's what i was thinking but i could'nt find the words! you summed it up perfectly.

27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

2004, got 700, 50's and 60's Hot Rod, Car Craft, Rod & Custom, Popular Hot Rodding, etc., etc. magazines for $100.

Also got a complete stock 1951 Anglia for $15. :):):):)

28. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I've gotten a few things for free over the years...and if I got them for free and didn't use them, or no one I knew needed them, I usually gave them away anyways. Off the top of my head:

Free - full 1970-72 SS Chevelle dash/gauges & HEI Dizzy, from a family friend who was into the fact that I was restoring my '71 SS. (He had a mint '70, these were "spares".) To top it off, he pulled the HEI out of his running 454 car, to get my 396 running. Even came over and installed it for me! His excuse was "now I can go get one of those fancy ignition systems..." I was only 18 at the time...

Free -'68 -72 GM tilt/non-column shift steering column from 62Wagon's step-dad to complete my bucket seat-to-console shift conversion on said Chevelle.

Free - 650 4bbl Holley given to me by a neighbor who knew I was into "cars". Came in an Edelbrock 650 box. I was excited at first, until I saw what it was inside. It ended up going on a project car to get it running (already had a 650 4bbl Holley), that I made a profit on when I sold.

Free - "good" TH-700R4 trans. Never did anything with it, let it go to a buddy for free.

Free - 2bbl stock Ford intake/carb for my current project from Gus. Just what I wanted/needed at the time.

Free - 3 MINT 57 Caddy hubcaps. Stored in a basement for 40+ years. Sold them for over $150 on the Bay.

Free - (thru trades outside of me) replacement trunk pan for an 63 Impala/Biscayne...free front bias-ply tires...from RileyRacing on the HAMB, another buddy.

Personally, I'd rather give stuff away, or offer it for very cheap-- to someone I know who will use it and lose my money, rather than just have it sit here and get crusty/unusable.

I look at it as the cost of being a hotrodder with more plans than time. :cool:

Pay it forward...

29. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

when do you want to do some custom exaust work so you can start making your money back

30. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Absolutely non HAMB - I was given a 93 Ford Festiva. Lady couldn't get it started. Bad gas gauge=no gas. No kidding. I put gas in it and it fired right up.

At 42 mpg, I REALLY miss that little turd.

Vance