Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any AMC Gurus Hangin Around?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trucked Up, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Close to closing a deal on a '64 Rambler Wagon 770. I'm wondering if there is a easy disc brake conversion for this model?:confused::confused::confused:

Also this being my first adventure with AMC, I could also use some advice on what, or what not, to do with this particular year and make............Thanks

2. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Disc brakes were available from the factory. Are you sure it doesn't already have discs?
    If not, you can use factory parts.
    My dad's 66 Rambler wagon came with discs.
    I think 770 was a deluxe trim line which is more likely to have the option.

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a rockin' 232 AMC six in my beater. Runs great w/ a cam swap, Clifford intake, Demon carb and a header.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Disc brakes are easy for that car... late 70's AMC Spirit spindles and the associated discs and calipers... should be able to locate them in a yard...

Most of the ones I've seen did not have discs.... My '65 did not, but the swap is easy

5. When you go looking for Spirit parts, get the spindles and brakes off of a 6-cylinder car, not a 4-cylinder. The 4-cylinder has 9-inch rotors while the 6 and V8 cars are 10-inch. Everything else is the same. including the Ford calipers. Also, Concordes are the same as Spirits for these parts.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep though the 9" rotors are superior to the drums that are on her now...

7. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Any options as far as overdrive transmission or later model upgrade?

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I just did this swap on my '64 Rambler last summer. I lucked out and found a set CHEAP on Ebay. If I recall correctly I bought early 80's Concord. The AMC websites have soem pretty good tips on this swap. Get as much of the factory parts as possible. Depending on the model there were two different calipers - not exactly sure what makes either more/less desireable, but definitely STAY AWAY from any of the multi piston calipers - way too hard and expensive for parts.
    The REALLY cool part of this whole swap is that the spindles are bolt on. Makes the swap a total breeze. One word of advice - my origional M/C had a boss on the bottom for a factory brake switch (pressure switch) when you switch to the disc m/c you loose this option. What I did notice when looking at AMC m/c's was that there was one model that had the bosses for the brake lines cast on BOTH SIDES (drilled on only one but metal there on both) - this was cool for me since I wanted to keep the pressure switch - I just drilled and tapped the unused boss for the pressure switch - factory wire still reached (it's on the side instead of the bottom). Food for thought.

BTW the "newer" stuff will have a combination valve while the older stuff only had a simple proportioning valve.

The only other thign I can think of that might affect you is that the "NEW" disc setup does offset the wheels OUT by I think 3/4" of an inch or so - maybe it was a little more - I can't remember exactly. In any event - you may want to double check your tire clearance if you have non factory wheels.

Good Luck!

9. Here's something to keep an eye on for later-

If the disc brake pistons look like bakelite, or non-metallic, watch for sticking brakes, overheating rotor, or if one day the brakes suddenly start pulling to one side or the other (one rotor is overheating due to a sticking piston, but still doesn't feel like overheating brakes- you may not see any smoke until much much much later).

I had an Eagle and a Concorde that both did that eventually.

The calipers with stainless steel pistons are pretty much immune to that, but the ones with bakelite pistons can cause all sorts of strange problems when they get slightly dirty and act up.

If you end up with a brake set that does NOT have stainless pistons, I suggest trading them in at the parts store right away for fresh calipers with stainless pistons.
    You can prevent future headaches that may catch you by surprise and confuse you for a while if you take care of it right now.

10. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Any info on the transmission interchange (overdrive)? Did AMC even have a overdrive in that era?:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks

11. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Pretty sure the 64s had the Torque tube.........Makes tranny swaps a big pain......

12. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

I thought they used Mopar tranny's. If so, go from there.

13. not till 72 and the crank is different for the mopar convertor.

14. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Btt.............:)

15. The single piston calipers are Ford parts from the late 70's era. I do not remember the Ford applications but they can be cross-referenced from the caliper casting numbers.

16. silent rick

silent rick

i have an amc 4 speed. shipping will probably hurt.

17. Motoboy

Motoboy

Cool, here's my 64 Cross Country. It's my first AMC, so learning about the torque tube set up and limited upgrades out there. Neverknew they used a torque tube set up on these old Ramblers. Pretty cool, if not quirky cars with the Trunnion front suspension too.
    Mine still has an AMC 327 and auto. Hope to keep the drivetrain all AMC as long as I can. I needed a family cruiser and was lucky enough to find this car mainly restored and needing some TLC. Don't have time to build anything with two rugrats at home.

Attached Files: