Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cuttin up a chalkmark car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mercury Kid, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

So I'm ditching my IFS last weekend and I see that my Comet has factory chalk marks still on the frame. I laughed because when I go to shows I hate the chalk mark cars, and it turns out I've had one the whole time. Anyhow, I thought I'd post some pics of it with the new straight axle. It's nowhere near "done", so ignore the little radials on the back, but it's on the road again after a winter hiatus and I'm still wrenching on it so it's getting closer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A nice comparo to my rice.
    [​IMG]

2. Hey some Punk is trying to steal your ride!!! HAHA just messing with ya bro. It's nice lookin ride and great start....keep us posted..

will

3. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

Nice work! Are you going to go with some fender-well headers?

4. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

awesome car, and i dont mind the rice either, and i dig the mohawk, just wish my job would let me have one.

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

That looks good, but keep the coil wire away from your nuts bro.

6. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Yeah, I'm planning on some fenderwell headers in the future, that's why I moved the axle forward about an inch, but that's a ways down on a long list of stuff I want to do.

7. Frank

Frank

Ok, I'll bite. WTH is a chalk-mark car? What's wrong with them?

8. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Sweet ride man, some pretty skinny redline hurst slicks would look perfect tucked in the back!

9. Ramblur

Ramblur

So,where's the chalkmarks? Nice ride,we need more pics.

10. theunforguven

theunforguven
    from U.K.

what is the engine?

11. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

get a decent hair cut too .
    dave

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a big fan of the straight axle look but that is one slick little car. I like the way it sits and looks.

I'd leave the chalkmarks just for grins when the resto croud has a fit and falls in it.

13. 1320Paul

1320Paul

How many miles on your comet? I'm assuming it's original because of the chalk marks. A guy I know has a few cars in his "barn". One is a 61 Comet with 63,000 miles, four door unfortunately, repainted once in the 80's, original tires etc. Nice gasser man, good job.

14. Maybe he's thinking what I'm thinking- I wouldn't radius the rear wheelwells, unless they're rusty already, because I like them stock. You should be able to fit a decent size tire on back with wheels with a ~3" backspacing. For example, I slapped wheels and tires from a Jeep on the rear of my '60 Falcon before and they fit. The tire was fairly wide, and tall (too tall for the gearing) and I believe it was a 15" wheel. I think part of the trick is getting the widest part of tire by the brake drum, so changing a rear wheel might mean letting air out of the tire.

Thanks,
    Kurt

15. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

some whitewall pie crusts with steelies would look cool too!!

16. Fuck yea dude that things rad

17. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

You have your finger in the cigarette lighter? Cool ride.

18. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Hey good one Pub. ! , but I almost I wanna' sent that "Punk" some money to keep him going in that same direction. (almost wanna')

19. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

I wouldnt radius them either, unless they matched, by cutting the fronts to, and grafting them in the rear, other than that they dont flow with the body style.

I love the look of it as is, just needs some 6-7inch cheaters :D

20. boldventure

boldventure

Okay, I'm not hip to this jargon gadget... What is a chalkmark car?

21. Marks put on the car with chalk ( or something similar) as it goes through the assembly line. Numbers, initials etc etc. You see em on the firewall and sometimes on the frame area.

22. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

i bet you scare the old ladies up there in Ohio

23. The_Monster

The_Monster

so you noticed you have chalk marks, and you dont like the cars at shows with chalk. I dont get it. Why should it matter? Are you saying that a chalk mark is a sign that its WAY too stock and nothings been changed? So in a long way around, are you saying you dont like stockers, and prefer customs or gassers?
    Just trying to figure out your vibe. love the stance and car. quad light cars are sick

24. very nice,looks funny sitting next to a ricer!

25. 65deluxe

65deluxe

someone with more (alot more) photoshop experience then me needs to photoshop this thing. Slicks, fender wells etc.
    Lookin sharp dude...so is the hair. Careful of the headliner..

26. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

That things standing as tall as the mohawk on the driver... NICE work!

27. 38pickup

38pickup

Look good man. :)

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Looks gret! Should have come from the factory like that. In fact, hit that axle with some chalk marks. I agree with the fenderwell headers and slicks. Maybe some T Bolt inspired parts too such as Econoline based buckets and air ducts in place of the inner headlights.

29. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

We always called the ridiculously factory correct cars with chalk all over them chalkmark cars. I can appreciate a bone stock car but those cars never get driven or even started. When I got it the car was all original with one repaint and 99k miles. The motor was wasted so I tugged it and stuck in a mild 289 along with a "garage floor special" T-5 because I couldn't afford a 4 gear. I'm planning on doing pretty much everything you guys suggested I do, I just haven't gotten there yet. No radius job for me, I can get 15x7 cheaters on the back by rolling the lip, but mine is rusted so I'll be careful. Then it's getting fenderwell headers, AFR heads, 4.11's to replace the 3.55's in the already Trac-locked rear, and I have 65 mustang buckets in my room that are going in as soon as I get to it. Already took out the rear seat, heater, radio and the right wiper. It's getting there and I put about 4k miles on it last year, which was the first that it was really safe to be driving a lot.