Register now to get rid of these ads!

427 identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prnoddl, Mar 29, 2008.

1. prnoddl

prnoddl
    from wi

Trying to figure out year of GM big block. Its a tall block possibly a 427, it has dual thermostats, 4bbl Holley w/gov. Point dist w/centrifical advance and hex oil pump drive. Any information would be appreciated.....

2. 52 csb

52 csb

Go to http//mmm.mortec.com Youll find it there . LATER 52 csb:D:D:D:D:D

3. Post the numbers off the back of the block and we can tell you what it is.

4. 55freak

55freak

can you post pics im interested now ive never saw a bbc with 2 thermostats

5. HB of CJ

HB of CJ

Off hand without eyeballing it, would seem to be a tall block 427 out of a Chevy or GMC 2-ton truck. GVWR anywhere from 16K to 32K, or even more if from a 10-wheeler. Look out..the 366 versions looked almost exactly the same....go for the block I.D. number.

Good news. Perfect for that one ton Suburben stationwagon, RV one ton duelly, or that family ski boat. Bad news. Heavy block, lousy HP but great torque and a real gas hog. We had one in our old Howard ski boat way way back. Good luck. :) :) :)

6. Parts13

Parts13
    from New Mexico

Hi
    I have a friend with a 427 truck engine like thie one here. He is wondering if there are any aftermarket goodies for it . Like heads manifolds, cams? I verified on MorTec the engine is a 427 tall block.
    Thanks
    Parts

7. Tulsa oldskool55

Tulsa oldskool55

Some of the BBC's in big trucks are 366 cu.in. the bore is the same but different stroke cranks.

8. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I don't know about hotrod potetial, I have heard about tall decks being used but in stock form they are a sorry assed fuel guzzling pig.

9. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

Back in my pre-artist-for-hire days, I worked for a heavy truck/bus repair operation... the 427 tall decks were pretty common in school buses, etc... We used to junk a LOT of 'em when retro-fitting diesels.
    They use a lot of proprietary parts (4-ring pistons, etc)... You could run an aftermarket intake using spacers, etc... I've even heard tales of guys using longer rods with standard pistons... Speed-O-Motive sells stroker kits for these, as well... down-side is that the blocks can only take a .030-.040-inch bore, and you'll spend a LOT to make it worthwhile... IMO, go with a standard-deck, unless this one was free, and you have time and cash for it...