Register now to get rid of these ads!

problem with 347 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lonewolf83, Apr 14, 2008.

1. lonewolf83

lonewolf83
    from so. cal.

got the motor checked out and the machine shop says its all good. i just rewired the car with a painless kit. what could i have done wrong. the problem is that it doesnt wanna go past 4000 rpm it sounds like its not getting fuel but like i said the motor is fine. the machine shop bench tested it and everything checks out fine. thats why im thinking wiring, any ideas??

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

If points, check dwell. Otherwise timing marks have changed over years. Verify TDC

3. Ole don

Ole don

Every time I have heads off a motor, I use a dial indicator to check the mark on the crank pulley. Do you have points ignition? Did someone put the centrifigal advance plate in upside down?

4. lonewolf83

lonewolf83
    from so. cal.

no points, electric ignition. the motor was put on a dyno and tested and nothing wrong there. they got it started up and everything. so im sure its not in the motor, i think its wiring but what would keep it from going over 4000 rpm's?

5. Is your fuel pump adequate? What kind of transmission?

6. lonewolf83

lonewolf83
    from so. cal.

stock fuel pump worked fine but like i said i did rewiring and now it has this issue. as far as the tranny its a c4 but the problem is also at idle in park also

7. whisperer

whisperer
    from Bend, OR

If it was running good before, and the only thing you changed was wiring, then the problem is in the ignition. What is the run-down on your electronic ignition? What distributor, coil, ballast resistor etc?

8. sounds like your not getting total timing. whats your initial & total? what carb you running? might not be getting enough gas now if you were just running a 302 before.

9. lonewolf83

lonewolf83
    from so. cal.

do you know wire could have got switched or what would cause a limit on power to the coil or distributor? it has to be a switche dwire cause its all the same equipment except for the wiring, im going crazy!!!

10. electric fuel pump? if so make sure your getting 12 volts to it too

11. moses

moses

did they put in a rev limiter of any type msd ignition or ford electronic ignition ..jeffrey

12. lonewolf83

lonewolf83
    from so. cal.

i dont believe it has a rev limiter and the fuel pump is manual not electric. i think the key here is to look past the actual components and focus on wiring and wiring alone. like i said it all worked together before, when the wire changed is when the problem arose

13. whisperer

whisperer
    from Bend, OR

You could be running the wrong voltage at the coil or ignition box or distributor due to a resistor wire in the Painless harness. Once again, what componants are you running?

14. BLACKLAC50

BLACKLAC50

! it actually has a petronics dis and eletric coil ! with a gm mod ! called petronics they say a gm mod is fine ! it also has a 650 holly doubble pumper also swaped that out with a 700 same problems!

15. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

This may sound obvious, but since no-one has suggested it. Check your grounds. You have a nice heavy cable running from the frame to the block? No paint under the ground connections(just threads isn't enough)? If you have an electric choke, check that also.

16. lonewolf83

lonewolf83
    from so. cal.

i have checked that but i will do it again cause i thought the same thing, maybe at a high rev a vibration is cause a bad connection, hopefully, then that would just be too damn easy

17. whisperer

whisperer
    from Bend, OR

The distributor + wire needs 12VDC on the Pertronics and the coil needs to have whatever that particular coil is supposed to run. Either 6-8 VDC or 12 VDC. I can't see your parts from here. I'f your distributor is running on 6 VDC then it will do exactly as described, same with the coil if it is a 12VDC Chevy coil.

I have a pretty easy-to-understand diagram of the Pertronics install under "Tech Tips" on my web site at www.vintage-automotive.com. That diagram is for the vintage Mustangs but you'll get the picture.

You need to get a VOM and check your voltages.

Another thing to check is If you have a ballast resistor to drop your coil to 6VDC and then you hook a resistor wire to it from the new "Coil" marked wire, then it will do what it's doing also. Check your voltages.

18. Phil1934

Phil1934

The coil will fire weak if hooked up backwards.