Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Chevy tire sizing vs ride height.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by talisman, Apr 13, 2008.

1. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

A friend of mine gave me a set of bias ply 15 8.00s with 4 inch white walls. My car (54 Bel-Air) is sitting at the stock ride height and this will raise it up about 2.5 inches. I was already going to put 3 inch blocks on it, guess I could step up to 4. Should I just drop the coin on another set of tires or would you guys use these? Free is always good, but not if it looks retarded.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those might go on the back of someone's fenderless car but they are too big for the 54, at least on the front. I think that size was originally on the big Cad limos and cars of that size.

There is a tire thread on here with some 53/54's with proper sized tires on them.

3. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

8.00 is BIG. i personally would go for 6.70s, they are about perfecto on 50s customs. Yeah, dont go with the 8.00s, and 4 inch wide white would be wrong for the period of the car too. And think about it all that lowering wouldnt go to waste if you had smaller tires

4. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Yeah, wasn't quite expecting them to be that tall when he said he had some wide whites I could have. LOL, thanks guys, about what I figured, just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

yeah they are HUGE prolly wont fit in the wheel well. but im sure theres someone on here that has what you need, and is looking for what you have.

6. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

<------g-78 15 remingtons are a nice looking affordable tire.theres a bigger pic if you view my profile

7. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Car looks great man. I've been doing more research and am shifting between the e78-15 and the 670-15. What do you guys think?

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

How much do you plan to drive the car? If it's a daily driver or close, I'd go F78-15s. If it's more of a "drive to the show this weekend" thing, the 670-15s will look more period-correct. The F78s will give you better handling.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I say go for 6.70's, you really can't go wrong with them as far as looks. I started a thread that is a collection of pictures with tire sizes. If anybody as any to add please do. It will help with questions like these.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 8.00's are good trading material if they are in good shape. someone who wants whitewalls on a fenderless car will probably jump on a pair of them.

12. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Yeah, I've already got Pms. heh. Car might end up as a daily. There really that big of a difference in the 670s and F78s?

13. Hey i have a 1954 chevy hardtop with a mustang 2 under the front and a camaro driveline. I recently switched over to brand new bfgoodrich radial 2.5" whitewalls and i love it. The bias plys we had on the car before caught every groove on the freeway, sometimes throwing our car 6 inches in either way. I would also advise to not use a mustang 2 ifs on a chevy. Keep ford with ford, and chevy with chevy.

14. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Hey dude. I put a few different tire on my 53 and the only one that looked "right" were the 6.70-15's with the 4 inch whitewall. Mine are Firestone. Great tire and got them from Coker. Those 8.00's are way to big.

15. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Brought abck from the dead. lol, yeah, I already gave the 8.00s back to my friend. Car has been down over a month waiting on a water pump pulley from cheviesofthe40s. :rolleyes: Probably be the last time I buy any parts from them.