Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 Chevy II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BakoHolmes, Apr 10, 2008.

1. BakoHolmes

BakoHolmes

I picked up a 63 Chevy II 2 door hardtop last night and I was wondering how to figure out the original information for it. How do you know what the original paint, interior color, and motor was? I looked up the vin code and it says that it is the Chevy II Nova 400 2 door 5 passenger sport coupe. I dont think it is a SS but how would you know other than badges?

I am thinking it would make a pretty cool gasser! I will try and post up pictures this week.

I know it is probably to new for this website but I figured people on here would know.

Holmes

2. primed55

primed55

All the info will be on the cowl tag (on the fire wall). If it's a SS there will be either a Z or an X in the ACC. code. You can usally also tell by the gauges, only SS had water/amp/oil gauges all others just had dummy lights, SS also had the rear panel painted silver and even if they've been repainted you can usally still look in the truck and see some of it.

Here's a link to decode the cowl tag
    http://novaresource.org/c63.htm

3. BakoHolmes

BakoHolmes

Awesome. Thanks, thats what I was looking for.

4. JPElcamino

JPElcamino
    from Arnold MO.

If it is a ture SS the cowl tag will show RPO Z03 (Regular Production Option) I own a 63 SS Nova straight axle blown alcohol gasser. If you have any questions about front end setup maybe I can help.

5. BakoHolmes

BakoHolmes

Not a SS but they did go for the padded dash (B70) and tinted glass (A01). It says the car had aqua blue interior and was tuxedo black.

JPELcamino do you have any pictures of your car?

6. patman

patman

Good info sites for Novas:

http://www.novas.net
    http://www.stevesnovasite.com
    http://www.novaresource.org

62 and 63 had 4-lug wheels, so finding interesting rims can be a problem. If you want to go with stock stuff (prolly not if you're going the gasser route) 64-67 stuff will bolt right up, and has the generic Chevy 5-lug pattern.

64 was the first year for the SBC in the Nova. The factory SBC setup is a bit different than usual, there is a special front-sump oil pan, pickup, pump, and pump driveshaft that you need. The original SBC blocks (64-67) had an oil filter boss that was a couple of inches higher than generic blocks for extra clearance. That's not strictly needed though, worst case you can put on a remote oil filter setup if it is a problem.

7. patman

patman

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Years ago had a 62 Nova 400 sport coupe. Transplanted a built 371 Olds and dual range hydro into it. When I got the engine and trans in I found out that there is no room for exhaust, so being a 20 year old at the time I asked around what I could do for a new front suspension. One guy told me to use a Corvair front suspension and I laughed. I went with an Econoline straight axle, which was a bear to get the steering working. But after getting it done, that was a fast MF'r! So fast that I cracked the spider case of the carrier in two. Put in a 3.70 posi and some bars and was fine. About 5 years later I spotted a Corvair with no front clip, but had suspension. The guy was right, it would've been ideal, since the springs are below the upper A's. Dumb kids do grow up!

Power to weight ratio = 8lbs per hp. FAST!

9. 63dan63

63dan63

10. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Yup I agree with the other two above...I myself am a member of www.stevesnovasite.com great bunch of folks there...not a lot of bullshit and just great info! I have the same screen name there as well.....I have a 1963 Chevy II that I have pro-streeted (I know not the favorite amongst the masses here - but I have always loved the looks of a pro-street Nova since I was a kid!)......

But give that site a shot....and welcome to the ranks of owning a II!!

Heres what mine looks like in its present state:

[​IMG]

11. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

Can't go wrong with Steve's Nova site:D

12. patman

patman

Heh...my upcoming 406 will put me at about 6.4lbs/hp :eek::D:eek::D

13. BakoHolmes

BakoHolmes

Thanks for the info. I checked out steves site and there is some good info. I am going to try and low budget the operation so I will have to find a donor for all the components. I wasnt really looking for a nova, I have another non - running project (56 Buick Wagon). But I got it bought for $700 and it has good floors, good trunk, all the trim, windows, etc. I am origonaly from Illinois and you dont see any cars in that kind of shape that you can get bought right.

I went out to take some pictures of it but my camera was dead. I might be able to get some next week.

14. TKuhl

TKuhl
    from Pac NW

heres mine, and a taste of what you can do if you dont want to build a pro-stocker.....

[​IMG]

15. novadude

novadude

TKuhl... looks good. What size wheels and tires are you running?

16. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

That is a bad ass looking ride!!!! I love the two tone and stance...you got it right!! Great ride!

17. BakoHolmes

BakoHolmes

That looks good and could be accomplished with a lot less cash.

18. BakoHolmes

BakoHolmes

The nova needs new interior. The old owner striped every thing out. Where is a good place to get carpet, headliner, and seat covers? I want it to look as close to factory as possible.

One of my buddies says I should go to some different local shops and see what it would cost to have it done. I am in Bakersfield,CA if anyone knows a good/inexpensive shop.

19. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

try www.chevy2only.com for parts . ditto on the stevesnovasite . i'm in the process of block sanding my 64 wagon right now......

20. 63dan63

63dan63

I used several on line venders for my '63:

yearOne

Luty's

and Classic Muscle at http://1962-79chevynovaparts.com/
    I like this one the best - lots of great schematics

I changed my interior from original red to all new black with '70 style GM buckets (w/o the head rests). I did the headliner myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

Since we are posting pics of are novas.. heres mine
    [​IMG]

22. ChevyII

ChevyII

My 65 Sedan... work in progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]