Register now to get rid of these ads!

The youth of today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mercury Kid, Apr 1, 2008.

1. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

I notice that alot of "us" drive different then "them". when you drive a older car you learn how to drive not just point the car in what direction you want to go. When i first met my ol lady she was a horrible driver now she doesnt tailgate, doesnt speed and pays better attention. i think the fact that i let her take some of my cars out has paved the way for this. that and were not 18 any more. I think part of drivers training should be you have to drive at least a late 50's car for so many hours. that will teach you to pay attention and drive. cause the first time some one has them 4 wheel drums fade on a off ramp they will sit up and take notice. this really has nothing to do with the post but i like my idea.

2. 40 grey

40 grey
    from s.w. Fla.

Exactly. The youth of today have never driven anything that you had to drive. All safely sealed in their little chambers. Just point it in the general direction, hit the gas, send your text, get the bump going, and if you F up, dont worry. Mom and will make it better. Or their lawyer will. New cars are too comfortable, too mind-numbing. completely soulless. Just like 95% of our youth. No wonder they sell them. Just think, these little bastards are gonna run this country and take care of us one day. Soon. Other than that, I think the youth of today are just fine.

3. Hop-up

Hop-up

I'm 17. I know what all these other young guys are saying. I've got a theory on why most teenagers are so reckless. I think it's because they don't have any respect for their machines. I mean, they're given a brand new car and didnt have to work for it - so it reall doesnt mean much to em. While there's other kids who actually work for things, know the value of a dollar and a hard day's work, and respect their posessions.

4. J. Infante

J. Infante
    from Ohio

17 year old car loving male. grew up with a family in the truck salvage industry, saw some real hard lessons in what happens when you f@#$! up. ever have to pick up a semi with a shovel? yeah, respect all railroad crossings! accident, ticket, and guilt free driving record. absolutely positive i piss people off by going the speed limit, but: most of the time the key is not going fast, but knowing you can. plenty of "tuners" at my school that think they have hot cars. best thing is rolling past in neutral, and just cracking the throttle on a carbed American v8. got a lot of respect for some of the foreign stuff though, seen some real nice inline 6 motors (datsun z cars) and toyota r series (carbed) will just run forever. there should be A LOT more course on the car itself when you get your license. no one checks brake fluid, oil, or even knows how to change a tire or jump a motor anymore. and common sense? seen people who think they have a hot car--with stock drum brakes, supercharging a 2 bolt main 350 while using factory gaskets, people who dump NOS until they burn the pistons and valves out, and (my favorite) never check their oil, atf, or cooling....

5. 4-banger

4-banger
    from Tucson

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i'm really glad to see young people on here who like both the imports and classic american cars. thats a good sign.the more young people who can be exposed to these cars at shows,cruise ins etc, the more will realize ,hey these are pretty cool. especially if it's a young person who built it. i like both myself, grew up around junk cars and hot rods,so i have an appreciation for them,except for the vega that rusted out 6 monthes after it was bought new,but thats a different story lol. i myself am going to start a new project after i get my 86 done, 72 datsun pickup with a 5.0 in it. already bought it for a hundred bucks from a friend of mine,just need to pull it out of the weeds. going to do it in traditional rat rod style complete with header pipes and saddle blanket interior. the goal is to built it spending as little as possible.

7. alienboyfinney

alienboyfinney

8. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

see thats what causes so many problems between different groups of people building custom cars, don't hate imports hate the 17-18 year old kids building the cheesy ones and trying to street race everyone they see, they are what causes the cops to look at everyone who builds a custom car as a street racer,and cause BS laws to be passed about what you can and can't do to your own car. there is a growing group of people underground who are building old school style imports and working just as hard to do so as the people who are building traditional style rods and customs. even over in japan now,they have started building rat rods of of japanese cars from the 50's and 60. there is a backlash starting against all the high tech high dollar built from a catalog rods that seem to be out there,and a lot of people are starting to build them the way they used to be done. it shouldn't matter if it's import of domestic old sheet metal, if someone builds something with their own hands and busts their ass doing it,i respect their work, doesn't matter to me where the car was made. i don't give a shit about the kid with the fart can and the big wing on a stock import, but for those who build their cars themselves, this hobby would be a lot better off if everyone could get a long and be on the same page.

9. 70 years ago 21 year olds killed a lot of Nazi's etal and saved democracy. It's not age, it's knowing what is right and wrong and learning it early by suffering the consquences of NOT knowing it. Most of these "kids" are mollycoddled spoiled ass brats and a worse generation is right behind them.
    Take heart, there are still plenty of good kids around. You never hear about them. They are the "boring" ones that go to school get good grades get good jobs etc. and become good citizens ( and build good cars!). Clean living is its own reward.:D

10. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

Stupid people reproduce younger and more often than the intelligent ones. Their offspring are raised improperly, and begin to breed at an even younger age, creating even more stupid people at a greater rate. How many grandparents are out there that are in their 30's now? What about 30 years years ago? Intelligence is being bred right out the gene pool, and it's only going to get worse. Between government handouts, no child left behind laws, the general dumbing down of America, and the push for equal treatment without equal skills, we've become a society of stupids (that's right, I know it isn't a word, but it fits--stupids--I stand by it). Not to mention, EVERY FUCKING CHILD IS SPECIAL! Any of you remember little league trophies at the end of the season? There was an MVP, best batting average, and maybe two or three others. Now there is a trophy for every fucking thing..best hair, cleanest uniform, name that rhymes with "Anus", whatever. Parents sue when junior gets cut from the team because he's fat and can't keep up with the other kids...guess what, it's SOCCER! You gotta run, assface..it's not discrimination, it's life. You want your kid on the team? Get him away from the goddamn computers and video games, quit giving him McDonalds for dinner...teach him the value of hard work and maybe something will become of it. Then we diefy the waste of life starlets like Paris Hilton or that Kardashian bitch, or "musicians" that only sing (term used loosely) in monosyllables about how much money, bitches, and weed they have...whatever happened to celebrities being famous for their TALENT? This country has gone to shit, and WE are the ones allowing it to happen due to our lethargic attitudes. Laws are passed every day to protect us from our own stupidity..."Warning: Coffee may be hot" NO FUCKING SHIT! "Warning: Do not use shaving cream over open flame" Why is this even a fucking issue? "Warning: Do not put hands in spinning blade of lawnmower"...you know what, if you are that fucking stupid you deserve to be maimed or killed, you dumb bastard. Common sense has disappeared, only to be replaced by shyster cocksuckers who will sue at the drop of a hat for any perceived slight, and judges who ALLOW it to happen for fear of being voted off the bench. We have become a country run by lawyers, politicians, and big business, all of whom watch out for each other and don't give a fuck about us. It is up to us to do what we can to get it back...and it isn't going to be easy.

11. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Yes. Nothing new to see here. Some will grow out of it. Some will die or end up in prison.

12. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

this is a stupid post. Merc kid your just telling people what they want to hear.

13. "allowed"

:D

too funny.

14. Bibbies,
    Like most of our long lost friends some just won't live long enough to out grow it.

I personally haven't really grown up yet but I'm still trying. I do agree street raceing is probably something that should be avoided. But it takes more than education to figure that one out I'm afraid.

Remember testosterone is a very dangerious substance. ;)

15. 38fordcoupe

38fordcoupe

I agree with a lot of the others. TOO MANY PARENTS THAT SHOULD'NT BE PARENTS!!!!!

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

this is why we have the darwin awards. i need to find that link on the guy who tried to rob "big mamas" beauty school. i laughed so hard i thought i was going to die. went in and tried to rob the place and a bunch of big black women the size of linebackers beat him almost to death. people are getting tired of the crap, and are starting to fight back, the media won't tell you this, but it's happening. they probably made up for all the ass wuppings he never got as a kid,which might have kept him from becoming thieving scum in the first place. it is really nice to see a piece of shit like that being wheeled out on a stretcher because someone had finally had enough.

17. JHhj0978

JHhj0978
    from Youngstown

18. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

I think im the only person on here to admitt they have fucked up, especially the younger ones seem like they are making shit up, like the kid who was saying kids were playing tag with thier trucks at his school..what a load off bullshit, nomatter where or what school they would have not gotten away with that.

19. Hey 51 Plym...you NAILED it man...couldnt agree more !!

I got news for you, it aint much better down here either....or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Well said....DUMBED DOWN is the way it is, and its going to gets worse, much worse with the next generation.

Todya's kids don't know the meaning of the word failure, what it means to fail and much less as to how to cope with it.

Rewarded for stupid shit has become the NORM for political correctness' sake and now we can see the results and outcomes.

IMO we can't get "IT" back, the horse has bolted.

For keeps....

Rat

20. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Originally Posted by '51Plymouth [​IMG]
    Stupid people reproduce younger and more often than the intelligent ones. Their offspring are raised improperly, and begin to breed at an even younger age, creating even more stupid people at a greater rate. How many grandparents are out there that are in their 30's now? What about 30 years years ago? Intelligence is being bred right out the gene pool, and it's only going to get worse. Between government handouts, no child left behind laws, the general dumbing down of America, and the push for equal treatment without equal skills, we've become a society of stupids (that's right, I know it isn't a word, but it fits--stupids--I stand by it). Not to mention, EVERY FUCKING CHILD IS SPECIAL! Any of you remember little league trophies at the end of the season? There was an MVP, best batting average, and maybe two or three others. Now there is a trophy for every fucking thing..best hair, cleanest uniform, name that rhymes with "Anus", whatever. Parents sue when junior gets cut from the team because he's fat and can't keep up with the other kids...guess what, it's SOCCER! You gotta run, assface..it's not discrimination, it's life. You want your kid on the team? Get him away from the goddamn computers and video games, quit giving him McDonalds for dinner...teach him the value of hard work and maybe something will become of it. Then we diefy the waste of life starlets like Paris Hilton or that Kardashian bitch, or "musicians" that only sing (term used loosely) in monosyllables about how much money, bitches, and weed they have...whatever happened to celebrities being famous for their TALENT? This country has gone to shit, and WE are the ones allowing it to happen due to our lethargic attitudes. Laws are passed every day to protect us from our own stupidity..."Warning: Coffee may be hot" NO FUCKING SHIT! "Warning: Do not use shaving cream over open flame" Why is this even a fucking issue? "Warning: Do not put hands in spinning blade of lawnmower"...you know what, if you are that fucking stupid you deserve to be maimed or killed, you dumb bastard. Common sense has disappeared, only to be replaced by shyster cocksuckers who will sue at the drop of a hat for any perceived slight, and judges who ALLOW it to happen for fear of being voted off the bench. We have become a country run by lawyers, politicians, and big business, all of whom watch out for each other and don't give a fuck about us. It is up to us to do what we can to get it back...and it isn't going to be easy.

I think this pretty much sums it up. Anyone that agrees with this statement really needs to see a movie called "Idiocracy" directed by Mike Judge the same guy that brought us Beavis and Butthead. It's on You Tube in little pieces if you don't want to rent it.
    Hopefully, this link will work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upyewL0oaWA

21. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Here's my rant to add to this thread, and I agree with others who have posted similar thoughts on this-

Cars of today don't take much to operate, and the people driving a lot of them don't take much to operate apparently, either. DRIVING a car has become a lost art over the last couple of generations. Cars now for the most part stop quick, accelerate quick, and turn quick. Hell, most people can't even drive a stick anymore!

Throw some of these people behind the wheel of a 2 ton barge with "adequate" brakes, manual steering, and slushy suspension and see how much better they focus on what they are doing besides talking on the phone, texting, putting on makeup, eating, writing/reading things, etc. Technology is great; cars became safer, but the people got worse...

A couple of times I've been driving along in one of my barges when the person in front of me decides to do one of their "maneuvers" that will ultimately put my front end into their backseat--since my car doesn't stop on a dime, if not for the fact I was paying attention. You can't haul down 2 tons of 30+ year old steel like you can a newer car. I'm surprised the people I drive behind don't realize this, and drive safer so as to not incur injury to themselves...no, wait, scratch that. People are in their own worlds and don't pay attention anymore to what's around them in their protective bubble cars....

22. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

I know what you're talking about. I drive a yellow 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V. I bought it new in 2004, Nismo stripes, Cat-Back, Intake, Swaybars, Coilovers, and I'm still learning to drive stick! A-holes are always coming up next to me trying to race. OK, my car looks like a 16 year old asian's wet dream, but I'm smarter than to put other people's life at risk to show who's is bigger; which by the way; mine is.

23. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

all these young dorks piss me off too I am only 25 but thinking of smoking these fools at the lights gives me consolation.

24. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

The only thing worse than the youth is the parents. I mean, don't criticize my generation before realizing who raised it. I guess it's something in the water or anti-depressants, because alot of soccer moms today are fucking impossible.
    I work crew at my school, and the musical theatre kids are usually fine. Pretty obnoxious, you get used to them.
    Their parents? Some of the stupidest, most difficult people I have ever met. They'll sneak in, take spots for wheelchairs and handicapped and fill up the other three for people that don't even show up to the play. When we try to move them? No, their child is a STAR.

25. RATFINKFOREVER

RATFINKFOREVER
    from Canada Eh

Dude don't even get me started i know all sorts of kids who's parents buy them brand new BMW and Mercades and all other sorts of pricey cars. Theres is one kid at a rival school that has a Masarati like wtf. I work hard for the money for my car and it bugs me how shit just gets given to them they don't work for any thing. The other thing with the youth of today is 50% of them are punks and they all want to be gangsters rolling on some 20 inch rims selling drugs in there shit boxes thanks for that rap music.

26. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

i'm not one to endanger people, or start something i cant finish, kids my age try to race me in my monte all the time, granted it looks like a beast but its not, i have only taken a few on and thats when its the dead of the night, highway, yadda yadda yadda, but never when others are around and i could hurt someone. when i had my truck, my friends wanted my to do a burnout and shit in this underground parking garage, they wanted to be right by it to record some footage and i told them to back the hell up or im not doing a damn thing. yeah, im young, yeah, i've been stupid, i hang around people old enough to be my grandparents and my age alike, but i take the better qualitys from both. i've done my stupid crap, been in situations i hope to never be in again, so sometimes you just need to relize things befor you do something stupid. i have one life to live, id rather be living it my way then any other.

27. Paul Y

Paul Y

The reason the whole of the Western World is in the hole it is now?

Politcal Correctness! Blame the idiots of the 80's for the state we are in now.

Now if I could just remember where I parked My DeLorean I could solve the whole damn thing in about an hour.....

And as for the original post, Nice cars. I will hold you up as an example to my 4 boys.

P.

28. PoPo

PoPo

i just wanted to add, that none of them have outrun my squad car, and its so damn slow. and if they did, well thats why we have license plates, ITS MY CAR NOW SUCKA

29. onedge

onedge

Mercury Kid keep hanging around here & good luck with the 63 Comet!

30. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

What about the Stillman Football game?