Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suggestions for a 9" carrier?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry, Apr 2, 2008.

1. I've considered using a stock carrier for the digger's 9" but that scares me. This seems to be a better choice.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Strange+Engineering/751582/10002/-1/10173

Does anyone have any experience with it? Any other suggestions? I'm cash strapped so cheap solutions are what I'm looking for.

BTW, I started whittling the bushings for the jig to weld the narrowed housing back together tonight.

2. slam49

slam49
    from tulsa ok

currie has some nice ones, i'm not sure on price though

edit: damn i looked at the currie and they are higher priced

3. Mittler Bros, the tool guys have one.

Art Morrison also

4. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

What kinda power are you making? I always thought that the ford unit was pretty tough.

Rob

5. Ignore me, I was thinking housing.

6. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

You have to remember that these cars dont weigh much. And that goes along way, as to saving parts.

7. hellbound gasser

hellbound gasser

I second Currie....but any of the name brand aftermarket performance ones are much stronger than any of the factory ones (including the N case)

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Kerry, Strictly an "opinion" here. Don't waste your money on that "S" series case. You're setting your family jewels pretty much right there - that "S" series case doesn't look any better than a stock big bearing "N" case. I was in your exact same shoes contemplating what do I REALLY need. Well since tires are WAY better than they once were - it stands to reason that what once worked may or may not work today. Nope for a few extra bucks you can step up to their "good" case.

Are you contemplating running it OPEN or LOCKED??? Problem (as I see it) is that open has it's merits, but you're stuck with 31 spline axles ;-(

If you go with the better case you can step up to 3.250 bearings and get the 35 spline axles. Axles get ALOT stronger when you jump from 31 to 35. (you could REALLY go overkill and jump to 40's but now you're really getting expensive) 35 spline spools are dirt cheap (good Strange ones).

BTW - I would also reccomend you consider stepping up to the "softer" PRO GEARS - not only will these be more forgiving (in terms of shock loads) but you also get the 35 spline pinion as well. Stuff a heavy duty pinion support and you're set. That's what I did on mine anyways. It really wasn't a ton more money and I don't give it a second thought now - enough other stuff to worry about.

Keep in mind - what may be a bit of overkill today - might be perfect when you decide to step things up later......

YMMV

9. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

We use Moser in all of our cars for axles...and Moser or Strange Cases...I have not used the new S case, but I doubt that it would hold up in a full out drag car for long...Go with the 3.250s to be able to upgrade to 35spline axles...but I see no advantage in the Pro gears...a 28 spline pinion will be ok and the PRo almost doubles the price of a ring and pinion.......always use a good billet yoke and a pinion support.

M.

10. Here is my question then. Just found out about a couple of "empty" N cases today for $150 each. Should I go for them. I've got no need but I could stash them for future barganing leverage?

It seems in this thread that N cases are not all they have been built up to be.

11. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

You got it...
    Also, if you plan on running period style tires, and doing period style launches, the lack of traction will be a great help toward saving destruction as well...

The truck I'm building is being fitted with a big pinion iron piece.
    And its going to get T-braked...
    I'm gonna use good axles, and a spool, and we are going to put the rear brace on the housing, to keep the axle tubes in check.

12. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

I put one in my T-coupe with a detroit locker. The S carrier is a real nice piece. Well worth the money.

Later-Eric

13. I built a gear set for this cat with an insane H.P. big block Ford in a light car with 4-link and drag radials. We used the S case and a Daytona pinion support. The pinion bearings were huge and added a lot of strength. If you use the pro gear they make a set with the larger shaft to take advantage of the large bearings. The pro gear set is made of a metal content that is softer that will absorb the shock as previuosly mentioned. If we used the standard gears after awhile they started chipping teeth. Hope this helps>>>>.

14. Thanks for the input guys.

I've got a 33 spline spool already and will be getting the 33 spline axles. I used the calculator at the Mosier web site and the 33 spline will be plenty. I also have my gears already and they are the standard, not the pro gears. Couplers will be used instead of yokes and a ujoint. I do have a stout aluminum pinion support and bearings which will help a lot.

I do plan on using some heavy recap (piecrust) slicks so I won't shock things like new slicks would. It will have a shorty Turbo 350 but NO transbrake. This will be a pretty light car.

For a referrence, a friend of mine races a pretty serious wheel standing SS car with a Ford N case. He's been racing if forever and hasn't busted it yet. The S case is stronger and his car is lighter.

Anybody have a stout 9" case they would sell me cheap? Pretty please?