Register now to get rid of these ads!

Down Under HAMB'rs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beep, Mar 31, 2008.

1. There is good possibility that I may go to Brisbane for a few years on a major project after I finish here in Kuwait. If I do, I would be arriving in Late July or August. Are there any HAMB dudes or dudets located in Brisbane? How about a drag strip?

Beep

2. flatoz

flatoz

there are a few HAMB'rs in brisvegas. they also have a drag strip 'willowbank'

but probably more 'HAMB' related activities in the southern states. ( vic/nsw)

but still a good car scene there.

3. GlenC

GlenC

There's a few of us downunder, but we measure cars performance in roo-power rather than horse-power, just so you're pre-warned. :)

http://www.ozrodders.com/board/index.php

Brisbane is a nice place, sort of a big country town feel about it, although they do try to behave like a city. Weather's good, even in July (mid winter) there's no snow or anything, and if you come down to the Gold Coast, which is way better than Brisbane by the way, you can even go for a surf at that time of the year.

Cheers, Glen.

4. It's funny how you mention "dudes", "dudettes" and "drag" so close together when talking about Brisbane........

Give ozrodders a miss. You'll find more Oz HAMBers into trad stuff on this site.

5. Brisbane has and EXCELLENT dragstrip in Willowbank. google it. There are HAMB friendly types there.

I'd also give ozrodders a miss.

I could point you in the right direction.

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep PEDDRO is absolutely right, that site seems to have gone down hill a little in the last couple of years. HAMB is best. If you have any other questions feel free to PM if you like as I grew up 60miles north of Brisvegas.

Vegas is a nice small city, with both the Gold and Sunshine Coasts an hour away in each direction. You'll likely enjoy yourself. Out of interest what are field do you work in?

7. unclechop

unclechop

bris vegas is a hole.
    There I said it.
    On the the other hand greazefest is good,
    Drove my pacer 1000ks (600miles) each way to go
    Gold coast is a little better Wintersun is heaps good,(june??)
    after july i think there is V8 supercars and indy and nostalgia drags.
    Which project are you working on?

8. chevytaylor

chevytaylor
    from Australia

Hey Beep, Brisbane isn't all that bad a place, paradise compared to Kuwait I'll bet. :eek:
    Why not check out www.ozrodders.com and make up your own mind, in my opinion it's a cool site.;)
    We got the Nostalgia Drags Nationals at Willowbank Raceway on August 17th.

Carl.

9. fat141

fat141

Couldn't help but notice the number of posts the blokes have that knock "www.ozrodders.I'd be sure and follow their advise mate.You would be better off.

10. NapalmWillie

NapalmWillie

When yo' all get down here be carefull not to drink too much; your head will spin in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere.
    The advise about the Nostalga Drags, Wintersun etc. is all good......enjoy.

11. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

After Kuwait, you're gonna HATE Qld.

Full of girls in bikinis and not a camel to be seen....real disappointment for you! ;)

12. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Beep, Do I need to go to Texas and curate your MEL parts?!?!?! I don't wanna hear that it's gonna be years before that dragster gets out again! What about the bad mofo pull vehicle project? This work thing is really starting to interfere with your personal life my friend. Lucky dog!

13. zapp69

zapp69

Brisbane is great heaps of rods being built, Flatoz is correct though "probably more 'HAMB' related activities in the southern states"

Ozrodders is good if you take from it what you need. eg event listings local advice etc.

If I could earn the same money there I would be there in a second. (well maybe just north on the sunshine coast)

14. There is more than one state in Aussy land? Surely not!
    Hey Unclesccoby, if all works out, I will be home for about three months before I go to Aussy land. I will finish up the A/F Coupe and bring it to a few events. Hopefully in August sometime. Then to the Garlits museum. The awesome Ranchero tow truck project will have to wait I guess. I have most of the parts now thanks to you. We will se how it goes. But a project down under, with wife, is too much to pass up. And besides, after this,,,no more work for me, period and I like that idea.

15. adem

adem
    from Australia

Brisbane has really great weather for hot rods and motorcycles. I have also heard that Willowbank is the best dragstrip in Australia, or at least gets the best times in Australia due to weather (Winter nationals.... warm during the day, cold clear nights)

16. I'll bite big fella, Why is that?

Beep,
    There is plenty of car stuff happening in SE QLD and NTHN NSW.
    Not all of it nostalic but car stuff all the same.

It has become very expensive to live here for a bunch of reasons, including a lot of Southerners moving up here.

What part of Brisbane are you likely to be working in? I use to live about 15kms for the Brisbane CBD, about 18 months ago we moved a little further out. We are now about 35kms from the CBD. Very close to Willowbank Raceway. Which is right next door to the RAAF Amberley Air Base. Is that your big project as it is going thru a massive upgrade project at the moment.

If you can live close to work, life can be pretty sweet. At the moment morning and afternoon traffic is a real problem due to the various levels of Gov trying to catch up with the population explosion that we have had. If you need more info or questions answered PM me.
    Cheers Gene.

17. hudson48

hudson48

Plenty of "camel toes" though

18. toddc

toddc

Try Sydney :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. unclechop

unclechop

I stopped at a service station there and it is the only one I have ever seen that sells bongs in the front counter.
    I think my general dislike for the area comes from my outlaws that live in the area.
    That and the Brisbane Broncos(St george supporter!!!ergh)

20. So unclechop, your "help" is completely irrelevant.

21. I live on the North Coast of NSW (1/2 hr from NSW/Qld border) there is some good car related events. Drags at Willowbank, Brisbane Hot Rod Show (May) Some decent swaps, best is Toowoomba (Feb), Wintersun (June), Speed on Tweed (Sept).

At least Saints have Wayne Bennett coaching them next year, they may finally get a premiership.:)

22. And he's gonna coach the Kiwis! :D

23. GlenC

GlenC

My daughter's a Bronco's cheerleader, so my home is a real nice place to hang out in some times!

Cheers, Glen.

24. X38 is from Brisbane... but he escaped years ago! ;)

There's cool stuff everywhere, you just need to know where to look.

25. When you get sick of all the brissy babbling come for a short drive for a beer in Albany in WA its only about 6000km. but one of the most beautifull places in oZ:)

Attached Files: