Register now to get rid of these ads!

cut up this Cad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stude_trucks, Mar 27, 2008.

?

let it be or hotrod it?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2008.
  1. let it be?

71 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. cut it up?

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. not a cool enough to fool with?

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. would look great with red wheels?

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. kustombypook

kustombypook

Buy it, clean it up and do some restoration on it, sell it to a collector and buy something worthy of cutting up.

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

that car would not be worth the money you would have to put in it to make a decent hotrod/streetrod. I'd keep looking.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Thanks for the comments, but keep in mind again, I am definitely not going to be buying this myself to do anything with it. This is just a hypothetical discussion about taking this kind of car and making it into a really subtle and classy fully traditional hotrod.

For now let's forget about the $$ and that this is probably a rare car that should be saved. The polling seems to be strongly in that favor and probably the real world best plan for this car I agree. For the moment, let's just think hypothetical and how the car might look in the end if done in a good way. Because it is an odd car to start with, it would take may take some uncharted ideas to make it a nice project. But, I think this particular car has some nice basic lines that are a bit sporty, yet still Cad/LaSalle classy, and might have serious potential to be a very classy hotrod. Kind of like if you took a modern Mercedes and made the AMG model or even the newer Cadillacs which are trying to be more sporty (no, I don't particularly like the new Cadillacs, so don't get side tracked on that discussion). The idea would be if someone got this car in say the early 50's and did a really nice and sensitive hotrod job on it including chopping etc. if that would "improve it". What would that look like and would the outcome be good? I am still kind of thinking it might be. I understand InDaShop's comments and all seem pretty valid and he has got some good points and personal experience. But just trying to think out side normal conventions and hypothetically for a bit.

4. DrJ

DrJ

Cutting that up, just because you can, would be the same as crushing it and selling it to China just because you can.

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

too nice, too rare to cut up. If you have the money it would take then you have lots of other options for one hell of a hot rod

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that would be a cool old ride to go for a put in on a sunday afternoon. I don't even think it should be restored... just leave it.

but think if all you found was a rusty body, doors and grille...

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

check out it's cousin while you are on ebay 280212819699

8. johndanger

johndanger

Too big, too heavy, too rare , too much wood, and too much $(10k+)

9. OLLIN

OLLIN

looks like an overwhelming "leave it alone" to me..

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100&#37;" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">let it be? </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>65</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>67.71%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">cut it up? </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>19</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>19.79%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">not a cool enough to fool with? </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>7</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>7.29%</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 width="50%">would look great with red wheels? </TD><TD class=alt2 width="50%">[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 title=Votes align=middle>5</TD><TD class=alt2 noWrap align=right>5.21%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Original cars like that are really cool in their own rite. I would just leave it as is and cruise it on sundays. Or maybe rent it out for movies taking place in the 20's and 30's. either way, too nice to cut up.
    They have some pretty cool stuff for sale, this one is one of my top 10
    favorites. I will own one someday...

[​IMG]

10. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
    'Not to rain your parade, but this one should be left alone. There are plenty of other cars out there to chop/hop up. If you do buy it, just clean it up and drive it, very cool ride as is.
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11. ol rusty

ol rusty
    from Kentucky

i would leave it alone and watch the value grow

12. I think InDaShop pretty much covered it.

As far as "reversible" customizing, gimme a break. Seems like it always costs people at least twice as much to put things back to stock after they're customized...These Cad's are really something, but they drive like a tractor.

Leave it be...sure in some world where people can justify cutting on a survivor and adversely affecting the overall value, maybe some cool things could be done. But I don't see why.

My 2 cents

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's not that it's too sacred to cut, it's just that there is absolutely nothing you can do to it to make it cool, so why bother?

It's too big to be a rod or gasser, and it's too old to be a kustom. It's a gigantic luxury barge, leave it be

14. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Nice, I'd drive that.