Register now to get rid of these ads!

cut up this Cad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stude_trucks, Mar 27, 2008.

?

let it be or hotrod it?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2008.
  1. let it be?

71 vote(s)
    67.6%
  2. cut it up?

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. not a cool enough to fool with?

8 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. would look great with red wheels?

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I was just checking sleazebay and ran across this baby and I was kind of thinking it might be a nice start on a mild dropped and chopped hotrod. What do you guys think:
    1) about taking such an apparently original and probably fairly rare car and hot rodding it?
    2) a Caddy like this that is not the normal hotrod material? I think in the right hands, this car might be a pretty sweet hotrod.

Personally, I might have a hard time cutting it up since it has survived this long. But I can kind of see some serious cool potential with some good alterations. I like that engine too, I would keep that for sure.

OK, as always, I know some will just say cut it up, who cares and others will want to flame me for even just thinking the idea and then others will say do what makes you happy. So, just to be clear, this is just a theoretical idea and just a hmm kind of thing and not something I am actually planning to do. Just wanted to see what others might think and if I was just thinking off the deep end.

Who knows how much this might go for? Doesn't matter to me as I don't plan on buying it anyway. Maybe the value would be high enough to not make cutting it a good idea anyway, but that is besides the point of my thought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1927...223397612QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270223397612

2. Different car...I like it, be kinda cool to 'hop it up' traditional style....Not do the whole full on hot rod treatment.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

yeah, here would be my plan by the way:
    1) drop it some
    2) chop top maybe 3-4 inches, straight chop no wedge
    3) change wheels, skinny, still vintage of course
    4) lose the spare wheel on the back obviously
    5) keep the fenders but open hood sides
    6) cool interior (that original one kind of sucks actually, shades?)
    7) nice simple one tone color, maybe even redo the leather top in a nice way?
    8) keep engine but dress it up some

4. toddc

toddc

I say fix that awful paint and let it live. Plenty of cars out there that are past restoration, so leave the good ones alone.

5. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

What's the original value versus what it'll be worth time you're done with it?

6. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

too rare leave it alone and watch you investment grow. at worst you could go through it and restore it to factory perfection.

7. RATFINKFOREVER

RATFINKFOREVER
    from Canada Eh

don't mess with success

8. OrangeCrushin

OrangeCrushin
    from Austin, TX

I can hear the souls of Cadillac old owners twisting at the thought of cutting this one up. Find something rustier and less of Museum-kept.

But definably a sweet old ride in it's own right.

9. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

To a '27 La Salle in that kind of shape?
    C'mon man, there's a handful of those left at best and less than that with all their original parts.
    As car guys who love history, we should be keepers of history too. I say let that go to a collector/restorer so my kids will be able to see one in person some day.

10. sammyg

sammyg

I would do reversible hot rod techniques on it, I wouldn't cut, break, slice up anything that couldn't be easily put back on. JMO

11. 65Riviera

65Riviera

aw man, i couldn't do it... not many of those in that condition left... looks like a lot of people carried the torch to keep this car the way it is. i say polish it up and keep it stock. it good "car"ma... :D

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No matter what you do to it, its always going to be UGLY. May as well Rat Rod it and post it on Ol'Stool Rodders. Its just the wrong car to bother with, kinda like building a 60s gasser out of an Aztec.

13. JAYNE COBB

JAYNE COBB
    from Wichita Ks

I hate the Aztek, but that might actually make it better:D!

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

Not mine, but I wouldn't cut up one that rare.

15. tttlesabre

tttlesabre
    from NY

As the late Boyd would say "it takes a real man to cut up a car" so cut it and rod so you can enjoy it. goodluck

16. GlenC

GlenC

I'd hot rod it in an instant, but I wouldn't go cutting it up by chopping or channeling the body. I'd do a full 'resto' on the bodywork, including all the original brightwork, replace the wheels with steels, maybe baby moons and dress rings, and I'd replace that sidevalve V8 with a 500ci Caddy. In a 3300lb car it would be a perfect 'sleeper' at the lights!

Cheers, Glen.

17. low49bowtie

low49bowtie

Find you an old junker to cut up and leave that one original.That car is to nice to go hackin on.

18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

CUT CUT
    It's just tin. I'd take a sawzall to a Bugatti Royal if I had one.

19. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Cutting that car would be sacriledge.

20. Flop

Flop

that cars gonna go for big bux dont know your wallet size but im gonna say you wont get it .. not to be a dick its at 9 grand and its been on there for probably a few hours

21. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

i have always thought cadillacs looked better unchopped... they just need better rims :D

22. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

Looks like one for the restorers. Not my cup of tea, although I know it has some pretty serious potential. If you cut it up, it will just be another hot rod, but as it sits, it's a rare icon of American heritage. If it were mine, I would have to sell it to a museum, as I would never be happy with it as stock, how it should be.

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Anybody with some good photochopping skills want to take a whack at chopping it about 2-3", changing out the wheels, dropping it a bit and changing the color scheme? It's all hypothetical as I said, but I still think this car as some hidden subtle hotrod potential.

24. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Wouldn't make a graceful enough hot rod to do the Cadillac name justice.

25. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

If you did it right that thing would be awesome.

26. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Have you ever seen one of these next to a Model A or Deuce?

That car is as big as a Tahoe. As tall and as long. I have a 1930 Caddy in my garage, and it is a monster. It would look horrible chopped, or rodded or anything. Its just a huge ass vehicle. That car is 19.5' bumper to bumper. Whats an A? 14'?

[​IMG]

If you buy it, its yours you can do anything you want with it. I'm just saying it would make a horrible hot rod as of its gi-normous proportions.

27. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Hope this helps a bit, I know its just my opinion, but thats a big ass car to try to pull off as a cool rod.

28. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Did anybody get pictures of the white 20's - 30's Packard that was at Louisville last year? It was "streetrodded", but I thought it was a neat car.

29. Chops

Chops

Thats a full on collectors car, if you do get it, its going to be for some serious coin and once you spend that I highly doubt cutting it up will even be an option. I'm not trying to be an ass just calling it like I see it. And in my opinion I wouldn't lay anything on it unless it was a diaper cloth.