Register now to get rid of these ads!

RANT: I'm pissed and frustrated and I need advice!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hans, Mar 25, 2008.

1. j-dogg

j-dogg

My truck was built on overtime and side jobs, its been a 3 yr long process and it isn't done yet. You have to be patient.

On a side note, theres a 49 chevy pickup in SAC that can be had for cheap. PM me if your interested.

2. screwball

screwball

Hes gone we have a rant and run here boys.

3. roddinron

roddinron

I've seen some less popular cars from 60's and even 50's selling for less than a $1000, that wouldn't take much to get running and look presentable. Get one, and stay home and work on it, the money that you would have spent going out would probably be enough to make it a nice roadworthy car. Then sell it for a few thousand more than you have in it, then do it again, etc. The rat rod trend means that there are a lot of guys out there willing to pay good money for less than perfect cars, so it makes it even easier, just use you're imagination and add some "cool" touches.
    Make sure you keep your car money separate from your other money, and eventually, you'll have some to play with.

4. After 33yrs. three kids 2wives, hitting bottom twice I am finally going to start on my model A. I have been gathering parts for 20 yrs. I have 90% of it now. Watch yuor money and like the others said start with somthing that you can afford.

5. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Do any alliance vendors sell pussy cream?

6. I had crap for cars as a young person but at 62 finally bought a Model A and am working on finishing it, hopeing to live that long:D

I raced cars and bikes for 18 years and sometimes did not even have fuel for the feature, but through ingenuity, thought and persistance got to run in the USA and Canada and had a lot of fun and even made 1600 a mo running 1 track in Winnepeg:rolleyes:thanks for the tow $Pete V.
    so buy tools, cultivate lasting friendships and relationships and you can do it :)

7. BadLuck

BadLuck

I agree with the buying something that might not be your dream car and keep trading up....Ive done that ever since I got my license...Example..68 bug..traded for a custom mini truck...traded that for a beat up 64 Impala...fixed that up and traded for a 63 Impala SS, sold that to Japan, used some money for a down payment for my wifes new car, then bought an old El Camino...traded that for a custom 2wd 77 Blazer..sold that, got another 63 Impala...sold that and got my 52 Belair that I have now. Gotta start somewhere..:)

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Seems like there is a post like this on the HAMB about every few weeks or so.
    It all boils down to the same things each time.
    A. You have to live on a budget.
    B. You have to cut all bullshit expenses, i.e., eating out, booze, stupid stuff
    like lottery tickets, impulse purchases
    C. make a list each week of where your "spending cash" goes and I mean
    everything. If you spend a buck on a candy bar then write it down.
    After a week or so, you will see where your money is going. You'll be
    shocked at where it goes and you then can stop it.
    D. In your budget, promise that you will save XXX dollars and put it into a car
    fund. You can find that money in line "C" (above)

The big difference between my generation and yours usually is that the younger folks "have to have" the latest electronic stuff, etc.
    Trust me you don't have to have much at all to be happy. In fact, if you just follow these simple steps, you will be happy. Why? Because within weeks you will have saved several hundred dollars and be on your way to purchasing a project.

9. Hans

Hans

Alright, of all my threads this one gets the most replies. Funny.

Anyway, thanks to all those who offered their advice. There is alot to think about and consider. I will use many of your strategies.

To all those who replied by calling me a pussy or a whiner...I hope you would never say that to me if I saw you in person. Not because I am a tough guy, but because most decent humans don't insult perfect strangers. I guess it takes all kinds.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hans, I really have a good idea what you're going through, but there is hope and it's called, "building one piece at a time". That's what I did (see signature for build journal) and it has taken me almost two years to get where I am now. Some paydays I had extra to spend and sometimes I had none. I set a monthly budget just for my project and stuck to it. I had planned on spending $10,000 or less and I will be well under that.

Now, $10,000 may be still too much for you and that is why I am going to show you what I'm considering for my next project.

[​IMG]

I figure with a lot of shopping and favors or bartering, I'll be able to do one of these for less than $5,000. I'm thinking a straight 4 or 6, any trans I can find and any rearend that will work. There is a company called Langs Old Car Parts www.modeltford.com , that makes the body and it comes with paint and upholstery for $1,450. BUT, you could probably get it plain and do the finishing yourself. Check their online catalog, page 132 for info on the body. An Ebay T Bucket frame could be a start or maybe have some simple frame rails welded up. Basicaly, just start buying and saving for whatever you can.

You can do it, man. You just need to REALLY sit down and think. Trust me, I spent a lot of time planning, reading and asking before I started mine and it's payed off in spades. Good luck to you.

And if you do decide to build a little "go job" Speedster, I won't tell anyone you stole the idea from me!:D

11. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I am going to make this real simple
    #1 what do you wan't to build? A model A?
    #2 don't need a body yet just a well thought out plan,frame rails and a welder.
    #3 If you can't weld then buy a welder and learn how to weld think yard sale.
    #4 Then pick up a shitty block, motor of choice cheap cheap cheap.
    #5 get motor mounts from a junk yard and start mounting the engine to frame
    #6 Then go back to the junk yard and find a cheap rear housing and take it home
    #7 make a suspention to hold the rear in place latter bars or what ever.
    #8 ride hight ??? might need to find an old strait axle at a swap meet for the front end and leave the rear floating untill you can get a front end.
    #9 what I am trying to say is that you have to start some where by having somthing to work with. Than you can say that you have a model A project in the works and won't be dreaming any more. You will no longer be frustrated that you havn't started yet. A hot rod dose not just apear it has to be assembeld so get your ass moving and start from the frame up.
    #10 mabe you think this is silly and wrong but this what I would do if I was in your shoes. building is the fun part there are other ways to do things that don't cost thousands of dollars you just have to use your head and start small. Think big. you don't have to have a body to start your build just to finish it. I think what you should do is start The first thing that you did right was joining the hamb

12. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Use all the advice this thread has provided, minus the stuff we won't mention again,....lol.......and kill some time working on your skills. Not much mentioned on that subject. But I'll tell you something. When I was in my teens and twentys I had a lot of real nice projects run through my hands but didn't truly have the skills to build them right. Hell I'm 48 and still learning as I go. Of equal or more value than money is the knowledge and skill it takes to build a rod. You already have the HAMB for the knowledge part of it, no lack of good advice here. So spend some time wrenching etc. Can you weld? If so hone your technique, and if not buy a welder and spend a lot of time practicing. There is so much you can be learning while your saving for the right rod, and then you'll be ready for that project when it comes along. If you truly want to build or make a ride yours you need the skills and tools just as much as the $$$ Best of luck!

13. All I can say is, "Move out of fucking California!!!!!"

14. O.K. that is out of my system.
    Pardon any repeat advise, I didn't read all of the above. I started my '34 Plymouth RPU with a $100 cowl, a $150 door, another $150 door, $100 worth of 2x3 tubing, $100 Model A front axle, etc, etc, as the cash became available. Try to network and meet H.A.M.B buddies local to you, some one will barter or even give you parts to get it done(I have given away stuff, and had stuff given to me). Stick it out, drink cheap beer, eat $.99 menu meals, you can do it.

15. Sounds like you are wasting money on the following items. Rent is a huge waste of money. Buying food is an expensive thing to do, stop eating. If you can't stop eating you could eat at your parents place. Paying your bills is also a huge waste of money. That needs to be stopped at once. If they try calling you telling you to pay, tell them thanks for the reminder and hang up. Works great, I've been doing it for years. If they call back cancel your phone service. Thats another bill you wont get anymore.

Some of us do weird, strange things to make the money to pay for our toys. I've even been known to work for it. Once you have some money you can make the wad bigger by exchanging the larger 20s and 10s for 5s and 1s. Lottery tickets are a good investment.

I should mention before you stop paying your bills to apply for credit cards. They are plastic things that come in the mail that have money in them, somehow. They stop sending them if you don't pay your bills so get them first.

Go back to college and get a real degree. An art history major isn't qualified to flip burgers.

16. Shoprag

Shoprag

I wanted guages, radio along with some other parts for my plymouth awhile back. I needed around a $100 more than what i had, told the guy I would be back in about 2hrs, I gave him some cash to hold the items, went to the barber shop on a monday (closed sunday and monday) for about a hour and a half. I made the money went back and picked up my stuff.

Me and my buddy kelley talk about the things you do when you really need that part, body or car. work alittle longer, take the 10 bucks a day you spend on lunch and put it a drawer or just worry about the bills later because it was to good to pass up. LOL

17. BOHICA

BOHICA

:rolleyes: Most perfect strangers don't ask you for advice on how to live their lives. Sorry, but you opened yourself up to it.

I bought a '56 Chevy truck in 2003. I didn't have tools, money, or the knowledge to work on it. I got a job and bought tools. I went to Wyo Tech and learned how to do things. Then, I went out and got another job. Five years later, I finally have enough of the things I need to where I can finally work on it, and with luck, actually have it on the road within a year. While I sympathize with you, you need to stop whining about what you don't have and be patient. Even guys that own their own shops quite often have to wait years to get their projects done. You've gotten lots of good advice from the folks here. I suggest you take it and good luck. ;)

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

must live in whine country

19. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Hans, this thread contains some real good advice. It is just like working with a financial advisor to put together a plan. One of the first things they do is make you sit down and write out what money you have coming in, and where every single dollar, no, actually where every single nickle goes. That part of the process is usually the most eye-opening. Try it for a month or two and I guarantee you will be surprised. Little bills and vices like alcohol, tobacco, and fast food are one thing, but they will also usually tell you that living in a place you can't afford and driving (or leasing) an expensive vehicle you don't need are bigger hurdles to get past.

Still, when I read your initial post, I can't help but think of the many many people I have known over the years who want a hot rod (or really any other tangible item) but say they can't afford it. Come to find out that they try to be "into" too many money spending hobbies at once. They try to be a hunter, fisherman, biker, sports fan, etc. All these things consume disposable income. If you are a true hot rodder, and are passionate about building a hot rod, then if you have $10 to spare, that $10 goes to the hot rod (or the hot rod fund). I guess what I am saying is this:

1. Figure out if you actually have disposable income. If you dont, then there is something wrong, and you need to look at why that is and fix it. Is is monthly bills like rent or a vehicle or is it bad habits like eating out, strip bars, smokes, etc.
    2. Realize that disposable income is "after" you save some. Get used to saving a little before you start to even think about a project.
    3. After you have adjusted your lifestyle, saved some cash saved up, and have figured out how much disposable money you have per month, then decide if you are even a "hot rodder" at all. You might find another hobby that you love even more. I've never found one that I like, but I always thought that the best hobbies are one you can make a dollar or two at.

Hans, take this to heart, or with a grain of salt. Good luck. -Jeff

20. Arkabilly

Arkabilly

I dont make a lot by some standards about 40g last year, but where I live that s pretty darn good. Payment on my farm, God I love this place no fricken idiots sans one who bitches about how it looks and it pays off in 7 years. I live pretty good go out and eat often fish every weekend work on the car. Buddy up the hill is into hot VW motors buggies. I can walk outside and take a piss and dont have to deal with idiot laws , saftey inspections and the like.

Yep get a car and start somewhere and build it then sell it and build another.

I dont have one finihsed yet and am planning the next. Never hurts to dream!!

21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"To all those who replied by calling me a pussy or a whiner...I hope you would never say that to me if I saw you in person. Not because I am a tough guy, but because most decent humans don't insult perfect strangers. I guess it takes all kinds."

Remember, YOU asked the question. The replies you didn't want to hear were made by guys that went through tough times and got hardened in the process. A lot of the young guys lately (OK, maybe not you personally, but that's how you came across) have been spoiled rotten by their over indulgent parents and are so used to instant gratification that they pout when they get out on their own and can't have it all.

Consider what you percieve to be negative replies, to be actually an act of "tough love". I would have said the same words, if need be, to my son, looking him straight in the eye.

Unruffle your feathers, get to work planning what you need to do to accomplish your dreams and then let's go have a beer and do some bench racing !<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

22. you know hans it be interesting and find out the numbers of folks who it has taken at least 20 years to get to the point in life to afford a decent ride..

23. JayD

JayD

I started with an $1800 '53 Ford. Was that my dream rod?? NO.............but it was affordable and driveable as was. Now it's just the way I wanted it.........and sold to someone else and so it goes. Am I 'there' yet?? NO..............and I'm in my 50s.

J

24. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

May not be what you want to hear but I just got myself a second job (just one day a week) for the purpose of some extra cash for my car stuff. I sat around doing nothing on my off days for lack of coin, then it hit me ....GO OUT AND MAKE MORE. The questions you need to ask yourself....How bad do you want it and what are you willing to do to get it?

48 Poncho

25. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I suggest (like many others) starting out with something less than your dream car. I started with a '54 chevy bel-air 4dr. Bought it for $300. I messed with that thing for a year or two and ended up owning 3 of them. I spent $650 total on all three together. I wanted a 2dr and started selling off the parts and made more than enough money. One had a complete grille and power steering those two alone paid for the $800 '49 ford 2dr. I had found.

If you have the space I suggest parting a car out to make some money. Try and find a rust-free cheap car and part it out. even if it is a 4dr you will make more money from rust free front sheetmetal than rusty 2dr parts.

It is some work, but with limited funds it has paid off. I have continued to trade and swap cars and so far so good. I still have my '49 2dr sedan, a '53 Victoria Hdtp that I trade a $250 El Camino for, and a '54 Chevy Panel truck that I traded a free car for.

The beauty of trading is that if you look long enough you will find someone wanting what you have and having what you want.

26. George Bush is going to give you the money for a deposit on your new project.

27. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

im working on a dodge truck until i can sell it and get me a classic :)

28. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Well screw getting a car till after you get financial counseling to find out where your money is going..
    Dave

29. hotrodhambones

hotrodhambones
    from louisiana

Sounds Like Panhead Pete Said It All.