Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP IDing A MISSOURI PLATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THR1LL3R, Mar 25, 2008.

1. I got this plate pretty cheap,so I was kinda suspect about it. Before I attempt to put it on my 51 sedan I wanna make sure its right...any info would be great.

[​IMG]

2. ks662

ks662

I remember those little green numbers.I don't think they changed those maroon plates until the late 70's.

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

4. I think the plate is correct. Call the licence bureau in Jefferson City to check that the numbers are not in use. I just gave an identicle plate and tag to a friend and it was correct.

5. ascenttm

ascenttm
    from HERE

6. Swifster

Swifster

Yes, the plate and the tabs are correct. The base is for 1949, the green tab is correct for 1950 and the 1951 is correct also. The '49 base plate was used until September of 1953.

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ah, I just noticed that the '50 is a tag as well. So I'm lame.

8. Last couple of plates I looked at all numbers no letters,when I notices this one had a M in the begining I started to question if it was maybe a truck plate. Thanks for you help HAMBers!:D

9. Swifster

Swifster

The 'M' is for plates issued in July and were sent in blocks to certain DMV offices.

10. How come some just have numbers?

11. Swifster

Swifster

Why do birds fly? Different states due different things. Back in the day, most states used nothing but numbers. At some point, they would be registering more than a million vehicles, especially when a plate is issued over numerous years. With 26 letters (vs. 10 numbers), more combinations can be used. Missouri was one of, if not the first to stagger registrations on a monthly basis.

Say the plates start with 000-000 and goes to 999-999. And now you get to that last plate. If the month of July comes around and you add an 'M' like this, M00-0000, you've just added 1 million new plates. Due this with 12 different months and you won't run out of usable plate numbers. With large cities like St. Louis (and St. Louis county) and K.C., I could see using alpha-numeric plates being needed.

12. I was thinking maybe the letter indicated a truck or even maybe a commercial vehicle.Thanks for the info!...oh BTW birds fly cause they have wings! j/k

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The Jim Fox book shows both 6 digit & single prefix letter/5 digit as passenger car.

14. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

You're pretty Swift about those plates, thanks, I have an old one also I like you to tell me about. I'll get a pic of it. Thanks