Register now to get rid of these ads!

Happy Easter, but what a waste of a Sunday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowandLow63, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

billy,,,,,make it a priority to set aside some time for your car,,,doesnt matter if its an hour a week,,,one day a month, or whatever,,,,,,,at least you will feel like you are getting SOMETHING done, even if it's not as much as you'd like,,,,,,i guarantee you won't feel like you're going backwards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,make a plan,,,set lots of "mini goals",,,and as you accomplish each goal, you will feel better, and definitely not have the feeling that your car will never get done,,in other words, dont start off chopping your car,,pick something easier to accomplish,,and go from there..........

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Well right now the next things on my checklist are to subframe it with an S10 I'm picking up soon, put the motor together thats been sitting since it came back from the machine shop over a year ago, and install said motor into said frame. So its a big hill, but once I climb it the rest should be alot easier and go alot quicker. Oh ya and then right after that 5.5" and 7" outta the roof.

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

yeah,,those are all pretty big jobs,,but you can still break them down into smaller goals,,,,,
    i know you'll figure a way to get your car done,,,,if you need a hand sometime, let me know....

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thanks Jim, I'll try to do that. I figure I'll do all the hard stuff that I'm not super confident in first so that way all I need to do is knock out the body. One day it will all work itself out. After I finish this car I'm working on now, I'm not going to take on any more bigger projects for customers until I make some headway on my own.

5. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

This post seems a bit premature as you are only on your second paying customer car, with a very talented and dedicated partner I might add. It will only get harder from here out if/when bigger jobs come in. If ya wanna work on the Ford, work on the Ford.

6. Well,I wasn't trying to "rub" it in,cause I don't know what the weather is like where all you guys live. I was more commenting on how it's Easter Sunday and a perfect day to go for a ride. You guys know I would NEVER try to make you guys feel bad,LOL!!!
    Maybe a little,HA HA HA!
    It's 7PM here and i'm going for ANOTHER drive....to the beach,of course......BYE!!!!

7. If it will make you guys feel any better...i'll take pic's......

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yeah but youre paying like $4 a gallon. So....HA! Cheapest gas in the country is 5 miles from me, beautiful Newark NJ. Ill pay more in my town though, at least I leave the gas station with my car.

9. Hasn't hit $4 yet but might soon. My company pays for my gas,so it's not that bad. I just turn in my receipts,HA HA HA!!

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

well, I wouldn't call spending time with you're girlfriend a waste per-say...but I know what you mean. I had a 3-day weekend and got next to nothing done. In reality, I should have had my car down to bare metal, and started filling my trim holes.

oh well, maybe next weekend

11. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm gonna send VIC down to motivate your lazy ass! That'll get that shoebox done!

Seriously, Bill, Jim is right. You need to enjoy doing what you're doing, and you won't get that working on other people's cars. Not for an extended period. If having a cool old car is important to you, you need to be working you yours, as well as the client's. I would force myself to devote a certain percentage of "work" time, not home time, to working on your own car. Say 25%. That still gives you some income and gettting your customer's cars done, but you get some satisfaction on getting your own project moving along. The biggest problem for you, I'd guess is setting up your work area to be able to switch from customer to personal car without a lot of trouble. Try and schedule the easiest way to go about this...if the customer car CANNOT be moved, just bring in your engine and work on it until it can be moved. If you have to tie your car up to work on it, do it when your customer car can sit outside and get work done out there for a while. Like wetsanding, or quick plastic/primer work. A bit of planning, and dedication to yourself will get them both done!

12. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I'm surprised at how some poeple are taking easter. A little family time is always a good thing. 365 days to work on projects and one day to spend with family. I hate to see what some will say about Christmas. Happy Easter you cranky buggers.

13. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Exactly as I felt this weekend. I'm struggling to get the 53 running and ready for roundup (9 days and counting) and my wife interjected church at 3:00 Saturday and Easter brunch at 1:00 yesterday, with 20 people I don't really know. Good food and all that, but I needed to be at the shop...feel like I'm cheating on myself.

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

My faith and the people in my life will always mean more to me than any car on earth,... were here for a short time, someday I, as well as those people that mean the most to me will be gone,....... most of these cars will still be here in the care of someone else (mostly people we don't know) who couldn't care less about your name or your life......

Enjoy your life with those that care about you whenever possible (the work will always be there) try to have a positive impact on there life's today, because we have no guarantee for tomorrow, you will never mean to that cold steel what you mean to flesh and bone. (just my two cents worth)

15. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

it coulda been worse... it always can :D
    i went and ate a ton of food with three different families... boy did it feel good...

16. Thank you for your post. As I read all of the posts, I couldn't believe how many have forgotten what the day is all about. I love cars, but I will always place God first, Family second and try to live a life following the teachings of the one we revere on Easter. Thanks again Harm's way.

17. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yeah sure! rub it in bob! :D

18. DROPnDRIVE

DROPnDRIVE
    from New Jersey

damn boy...where you hidin a booth?

19. GEEZ!!! You guys are sensitive,LOL!!!! We're having record heat right now,so no plans on cruising in the heat. I prefer weather in the 70's.

20. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

I work 18 hour days, and sometimes you have to force yourself to stop and take a break. Life drives right over you (get caught up - HA) never:rolleyes: and I bet everyone here will agree, there is never enough time for "You" but a break is good for the mind.

Happy Easter Everyone! Get out and hunt for some eggs:p

Attached Files:

21. skwurl

skwurl

How is this thread a year old?

22. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Just woke up myself. Kids had fun. Pawning the kids off on grandmom To work on my car. So get out there enough excuses Go ........Speed.......Go............. I sure hope lowes is open I NEED A COUPLE OF BOLTS...........Dont waste your sunday

23. Another Easter !! I now have to make a map of how I hide my eggs and I just play along with the entire deal. Be nice to the easter bunny around my house the rewards are good !! Oh yeah no cruising here Rain and 50 degreez !! And buy the way Bob you suck !! Have a good time in the Merc today !! >>>>.