Register now to get rid of these ads!

My answer to tailgate chains

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bluedscrewed&tattooed, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bluedscrewed&tattooed

Bluedscrewed&tattooed
    from AUSTIN,TX

I know that others have posted stuff like this before, but this cost me a few hours and $16.00 at Lowes. They are spring loaded latches and I drilled a hole and inserted a pin so they cant release by accident. LATCHE.JPG

2. Ole don

Ole don

Cool, and cheap. Great idea.

3. BadLuck

BadLuck

cool idea..forwarded to my buddy for his 50 truck....

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

looks like a cool solution, but what's wrong with the chains?

pecker head likes this.

5. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I like the stock chains because they hold the tailgate when it's down. Thats what they were meant for.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well, if you never haul anything in the bed...then the chains...and/or latches...are worthless...why not just weld it shut...???

R-

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

here's my answer...:D
    [​IMG]

8. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Hoe about Zipties???

9. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Why not use the cables on the inside like today's trucks if you don't like the chains? They are like $15 a side at Dundee Truck and Trim.

10. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

I personaly like the sound of those chains when ya take off then shift.

11. fix

fix

I use chain connectors, from the hardware store. (Not my idea, I saw it somewhere). It took me an hour or so to clean em up that nice, but you just pull the pins to open, and I keep the chains behind the seat in the cab so I can still haul stuff.

Sorry about the link, I couldn't get it to add the pic to this post.
    [​IMG]

12. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I'm with you on the sound of those chains.:cool:

13. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

Kinda a cool idea but You leave your gate down if your ever hauling anything or even when you go to open it or do you still have the chains on it??? Seems kinda like a bad idea to let it hang?? Wont she bang up to the bumper or back panel?? I know if I did that on my hot rod Id be throwin sparks from my tailgate dragin on the ground. I like the chains the best that way I have a seat at the shows to. Does anyone know where to get that clear chain wrap??? so when ya take off they dont take your paint off -Jon

14. gearjam1

gearjam1

Jon, You can go to a home-improvement store, and cut-off whatever length you need of clear plastic hose. I've seen it there in the plumbing section on rolls... Seems like that would make a pretty simple chain "wrap". -Tony

15. decayed40

decayed40

my old 40 p/u has the chains along with whats left of the original paint,see my avatar,i love how they have worn away the paint over the years in a circle patern just gives history and character,and there noise is great

16. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

HAHA I would rather leave the paint on my bed than give it some history decayed40, haha but tony thanks alot man I never though of looking where I bought the chains hahaha my dumbass was gonna pay the big bucks to buy some special wraps made just the right lenth for tailgatechains. Glad you told me about that stuff im gonna go get some tomorrow thanks

17. decayed40

decayed40

come on man paint is over rated, lol just kiddin , in a your case with nice paint i would agree but they were there when i found the body and witht the decision not to paint i really enjoy all the battle scars ,i did see someone use seat belt latches at a show last year with the push button release ,looked clean and worked well.

18. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

I never thought about runnin the cables like on the later model pickups but hell that would be a real clean look and cheap. Im gonna steal that Idea for my next build. Even though its deffiently not gonna look traditional.

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

Am I missing something? I've never seen a tailgate that is kept closed by chains. The chains just limit the travel of the tailgate. Latches or hooks secure tailgates.

So were your latches broken or something?

20. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I'm probably going to have to say a little bit ghetto.

I saw a setup like that on a driver door in the yard once. They used drywall screws to attach it tho.

21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

The hook on the end of the chain holds it shut as well when closed. To open it, you unhook the chain, then drop the tailgate and rehook it into the tailgate to keep it open and level to the ground usually. That's the old way before they decided to get rid of the chains and use latches with internal mechanisms, etc. starting in the late 60's.

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

Right, but wouldn't a bolt be much easier in that application?

23. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

KIRK the chains on some trucks Ive had that arent hamb friendly (1986 chevy c-10 stepside) never had anything but chains. The chains had S bend hooks on the ends and went into the tabs to hold the tailgate shut and you would pull them out and hook them only onto the tailgate tabs when you opened it. They worked good Sometimes because if one was kinked and you set something on the tailgate it ended up twisting the tailgate to where you couldnt rehook it when you went to put it back up

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

It's the hook holding the tailgate closed, not the chain.

25. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

A bolt would be easier but with no chains what are you going to do???? Are you going to let the gat hang or never open it?

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

Exactly. If open it will just flop around. If it will never be opened tack it shut.

27. dgc15

dgc15

I got my latches from McMaster Carr and the SS vinyl coated cable. Made the cables up and the bracket on the tailgate.

[​IMG][​IMG]

28. JSBriggs

JSBriggs
    from Auburn, CA

Another Idea is to take a look at a Land Rover tailgate latch. It is a simple yet elegant design. The pieces are still readily available new, but there are plenty of used bits around as well.

The stepped design of the latch bar keep the tailgate snug and free of rattles. There is also a pigtail on the inside of the tailgate to support it with chains when open, or keep it half open, or just unhook them to leave it unsupported

Here are a couple pics.

-Jeff

Attached Files:

29. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Chains and hooks worked pretty well on pickups for about 50 years until they decided they needed to look more like cars. The standard hooks on my trucks can't really be easier to use and without the chains, the tailgate just falls down and that's no good. Can't sit or work on a tailgate that falls down. I kind of like the chains on my trucks, that's part of being an old truck. Now if you are hot rodding or customizing your truck and cleaning up the look, then maybe the chains are too functional looking and maybe a bolt is fine for what you need it for since you probably won't be hauling more than a cooler anyway. But for trucks that are sill used as trucks, the chains and hooks work just fine - IMHO of course.

30. Bluedscrewed&tattooed

Bluedscrewed&tattooed
    from AUSTIN,TX

Wow did this post go sideways.. I am going to use cable for holding the tailgate when its down. The truck is getting painted this week and those damn chains ( even with plastic around them) wear the paint. The truck has been fitted with a tonneau cover and I was going for a 60s custom look and just cant get past chains hanging down. I just wanted a cheap fix, that was better than a nut and bolt.