Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newer Rearend In An Old Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inline6, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Inline6

Inline6

Has anyone ever put a newer rearend in a 48-53 chevy truck? What are the dimensions? Do i have to make new shock mounts.

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

I swapped in a 70-80's 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4 axle.It's only about an inch wider than stock and has 6 wheel lugs if that's important to you.You will have to use new spring mounts and fab up something for the shocks.Other commonly used axles are various GM like older leaf spring Camaro or Nova,maybe 4x4 S10 axle or actually any axle that'll fit if you can deal with the wheel bolt pattern. Obiviously you original tranny won't work once the old torque tube axle is gone.

3. Inline6

Inline6

yeah im putting a saginaw in it that i found...but anyway i live by a car crusher and i see quite a few 1/2 tons coming through so i might get one off of one.

4. gavin

gavin
    from Sonoma

I put a 69' Camaro rear in my 1949' Chevy 3100. You will have to grind off the old mounts and put new one's on. I think the dimensions for what you use are anywhere from 59" to 61" widths. I got a list of compatable rears from stovebolt.com. Patricks in Arizona specializes in these trucks and they offer some gear kits that give you more freeway friendly gear setups while retaining the torque tube rear end.