Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chip Foose P-32, May Street Rodder....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timmy25252, Mar 12, 2008.

1. If you saw the car up close,it has a lot of cool stuff going on.
    Very nice design elements,and workmanship.

AND it actually runs.
    There was a video of Jay Leno driving the P-32,on the street,
    on his site several months ago.

2. TIKIMAN

TIKIMAN

Im not a huge fan of the cone, but other than that I think the car is great... Interior looks really good to!

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

So do you guy's think that everyone that sees your cars or mine falls in love with it ?, or walks away thinking about where we missed the mark or what they would have done differently ,......... I guess it only matters when you get as famous as Foose,..... I actually really like it, but that's just my opinion.:)

I wonder if Foose looks at any of our cars and thinks to himself how much they stink,......... well if he does, I guess he keeps it to himself.:D

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lose the nose cone... It's like a pretty girl with bad teeth...

5. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Totally agree with Kirk.....
    Here it is with a nosejob and no side glass

FooseFix.jpg

6. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

7. Terry

Terry

I love it, it's far better than any thing I have, or problably ever will do.

I don't think it's supposed to look like a P-40. Rather a Hot Rod, a pilot of a P-40, built after getting home from the war.

Whatever, it works for me.

8. After you buy it,then you can "fix' it.

9. Ricola

Ricola
    from MN

Come on guys. You just wish you'd thought about that one first. I agree, it's a little Paul jr. but I still like it. The dash work is very hot rod.

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I would imagine Foose may have simply thought that including all the "elements" would make the car too literal. I think he pulled this off really well. Never have been sure how I feel with the nose cone as I think IT IS too literal. The photo-chop-job above is pretty cool without, but I don't think abandoning the nose cone idea altogether is necessary. Maybe a perimeter shape with just an outermost riveted band denoting the cone area?

I think comparing this "theme" based hot rod with Paul Jr. and Sr.'s "theme" based motorcycles is a heck of a stretch.

Whatever the case, it sure is interesting, has a killer stance, and gets folks talking.

11. Zeke T.

Zeke T.

I really like..uh....the steering wheel. Nose cone does kill it for me but it is a different approach to the traditional. Who knows, maybe this will be the next "big" thing. ugh.

12. DrJ

DrJ

I guess you guys aren't the same ones who are always spouting "Build your car the way you want it and [screw] what anyone else thinks", are ya?
    :rolleyes:

I think it's cute.

13. Zeke T.

Zeke T.

Good point, DrJ.

14. dbradley

dbradley

After reading this link I see that jealousy is not a pretty thing.

15. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I like it and like what Jeem says...

There isn't a thing on that car I'd do on my car other than the side-glass (I dig th deco feel of it) but as a whole, I think it's pretty cool. I think the whole 'airplane influence' thing has gotten way out of hand but I like the flow and fit/finnish of this car.

I have opinions about everything, but that car is so far away from anything I'd ever consider building that the various aspects of it don't irritate me. Like an otherwise perfect Traditional Rod with backwords stance or something like that, would.

I'd own it, drive it and enjoy looking at it... I'd never build it though... And removing the nose cone isn't going to magically turn it into anything I'd build either... So I'll just enjoy it for what it is...

16. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

17. DrJ

DrJ

Also, there was a "hotrod" (34?) built in Sweden(?) about a decade or so ago with a "nose spinner" that made some magazines (but that was pre-web-attacking) so it's not like it's a new thing.
    The precedent was set quite a while ago.

"I think the Pac Man Rod would look great if they only got rid of the ugly body and put a flatead up front where it belongs with a banjo rear and a A body and a yadda yadda..."

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'm assuming you haven't read the "Ugly ass kustoms" thread then, eh...???

Jealousy has nothing to do with it...

R-

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can say is that it looks like a car that a guy could hop in and blast down the road in and have a ball doing it. It doesn't look fragile and It doesn't have the appearance that it was built to sit on a rotating pedistal for the mouthbreating hords to ooh and aah over and then dissapear into someones "collection" never to be seen again.

20. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

No matter what people think or say Foose is beyond words with his ideas. He comes up with some very beautiful cars. Although his cars are very high end I am sure that the guys alot of us looking up to were talked about in the same ways by people during there times. As for this car I agree with many the nose cone should go and the side glass as well. But like many other show cars which I am sure this is. There is bound to be some impacticality to it. Thus the nose cone. . But I think if anything with this car being built as a show car and complementing the P-40 Chip should have at least sectioned the bodysimilar to the version i am comparing it to.

21. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

This is my version v. Foose Mine is on the bottom.

Attached Files:

22. Looks good, lockwood.

Now channel it.

23. timmy25252

timmy25252

Before this gets too offtopic... Does anybody have the link to the rest of the interview from street rodder?

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

What does the word "theme" mean anyway?

And what is a car built to emulate a point in time called?

I would think that ANY traditional car built today is built with a "theme" in mind.....whether it's a "Roth" type car, '40s era custom, 60's drag car, etc....

25. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

The Windshield and Interior are Really Cool!

AB

26. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

i like it but, it needs a paint job!

27. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

What is the grille from? I was checking this out in Wal-Mart the other day and decided the car looked kinda like Droopy Dog or something with the nose and the grille. I think it would be just fine without the cone. Somebody else did one with a nose cone a while back (I wish I could find the picture) and it turned out pretty good. The cone just seems to "stuck on" with the flat grille.

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'd rather build than buy... :rolleyes:

well until I hit the lottery....:p

29. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I actually like the car, but I think he should have put a little more thought in the front end. The cone is fine since he was going for the look of a P-40 but the grille looks to much like a deuce grill with the cone just stuck on there, the real P-40 front looks a lot different and he should have built that front end onto this car but the rest of the car looks like it should for a "theme" car. Just like what SinisterCustom said most of the cars built by the rest of the members of the HAMB are "theme" cars since we all start with a theme of what time period we want our cars to look like they were built in.

30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I dig it. Just because it doesn't fit the belly button type 32 we've all gotten used to doesn't mean it hasn't got merits of it's own. He probably didn't build it with the HAMB in mind. The nose?, what the hell it's his.