Register now to get rid of these ads!

~Modified Progress Report~

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Anderson

Anderson

I didn't get nearly as much done this weekend as I needed to...but I think I can still make Roundup, even if it comes down to the night before. Didn't help that we chopped Elrod's coupe Saturday (thats his story to share), but there was no way I'd miss finally cutting on that thing!

Pulled the carbs apart and painted the bases black. My dad had made the air cleaner bases years ago (with his own stamping die...lots of free time at work :D). He made tops too but they were finned and I didn't think they'd look right on the car. Set the filters on, made a pattern, and cut the piece out of some stainless, then engine turned it. I like how it turned out, it's something different.

Cleaned most of the paint off of the radiator top tank and half-ass polished it. That brass sure is purty!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started on the doors and dash. Narrowed the doors at the rear to match the cab back piece. They are still a lot wider than I would like...but I quickly realized these are never really going to resemble roadster doors anyway....thats ok. It is what it is. Started capping the tops, put a little crown in the top pieces to give it some detail. The dash is barely tacked in to see if I liked where it was. There is going to be a lot of work getting it all flowing together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad found this Isky cam tag in a car in a junkyard many many years ago and snagged it. He gave it to me thinking it would be cool on the modified. I had to completely agree...

[​IMG]

I also have my rear brakes finally sorted out. Picked up another set of rear hubs/drums from Bass yesterday that will work great. Started tearing the backing plates apart to blast and paint, and to make sure I had enough usable parts to make them work. I have an extra set of front brakes to rob parts from so I should be good. Got the grill shell mostly mounted....need to scrounge up some more hardware for the upper mounts. Finished welding the seams the shells previous owner didn't get around to and started body working it. Still a lot of work left...

[​IMG]

2. bigken

bigken

Damn man, dig the hell outta your air cleaner setup. It is different, and slick. Your making great progress, anything I can help ya with, just holler, DAMNITT.
    'Two-thumbs-up'.

3. Elrod

Elrod

I really appreciated that you stopped by eric. I know you're busy pulling that modified together. That is going to get LOTS of attention at the LSR this year. It's looking awesome!

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Man that thing is coming along! nice job Fidg.

5. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

let me give you alittle piece of unsolicited advice.... MUHAHAHA. just kiddin... lookin good.

6. Stop polishing the rad and get on with the real work :D I wanna see that thing under it's own power in Austin.

Seriously, it's looking good, keep going.

I like the air cleaner set up although wouldn't finned tops (that your dad made.. extra cool factor) go with the finned valve covers?

7. Anderson

Anderson

After 9:00-ish I try to find quiet stuff to do to keep the neighbors happy...or at least less angry.

I will drive this car to the roundup.

They would kinda go with the covers...they are a closer match to a Corvette valve cover. The fins are short and pretty close together. More of a '60's style....and they're billet :eek: haha

Thanks for the kind words guys. Should have a lot of stuff coming together this week.

8. scrape

scrape

that aircleaner top rocks.....

9. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Nice, I'm following this the rest of the way. The '37 grille looks good too. Now that I'm typing this, I need to look at it again, wondering if the grille would look even better narrowed a bit?,, Whatever, it looks really good!

10. Dirty2

Dirty2

Coming togather great . I like it !

11. Rusty

Rusty

Cool, love that cam tag. Keep up the hard work and you will make it,

Rusty

12. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

13. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks Jeem. The grill is narrowed,,,,I have no idea how much. It was an eBay score and it had already been narrowed and sectioned. If It had not been sectioned already, it would look skinnier I'm sure. Any narrower and I wont be able to fit a radiator behind it.

I wish it were taller, but for what nice '37 grills are going for these days, I'll stick with what I've got!

Thanks Dirtys!!

14. Big Tony

Big Tony

Looking sweeter by the day...this is gonna be my must see this year at Round Up

15. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looking good. I like the way the shape of the upper grille and the windshield compliment each other. Keep the progress pictures coming.

Frank

17. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

So are you going to run an Isky cam to match the tag?

The mod is looking great....I like the air cleaner top!

18. drkgrn57

drkgrn57
    from rowlett,tx

Yeah, But they are homemade billet.

19. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

just bitchin' man you work fast!

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

looks good dood.... THEM will be in da house!!!

the tag rules!! I think you need to rivit it on tho...it will look like it was there for ever

21. Anderson

Anderson

It will be riveted, eventually...after there's nice paint underneath it. I was planning on using the screws for now. If I riveted it now, I wouldn't be able to get to the back side to grind them back off later with all the brake stuff under the dash.

This motor is a gutless stock 283....whenever I get around to building another one for it, I may go with an Isky cam.

22. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

you should build up a 301 out of that 283 for the next engine.. what were the specs on that tag.. seemed like it was a large cam, but I can't remember.

23. Rusty

Rusty

Eric with those new firewall tags come a set of the screw ons that look like rivits. Flat on one side and screw on the other. I am sure you know of these though

Rusty

24. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Seriously? I wouldn't put that on the firewall until you have an Isky cam in that 283.

Why don't you go ahead and put Olds Rocket valve covers on the motor as well? Oh, and I hear that So-Cal sells some really cool disc brakes that have covers that look just like Buick drums.

A cam change would probably cost about $150 or so. And you'd sleep better at night.

:)

C'mon Eric...you know that 283 needs a hot Iskenderian cam. Something like a 264 Mega Hydraulic would work with no other changes...

http://www.iskycams.com/productdisp...=201264&sku=1315&hdwt=31101&loc=101&dealer=no

There ya go...some more unsolicited advice. :)

25. Anderson

Anderson

I haven't told anybody yet but I'm going to swap the Rochersters for an electronic fuel injection setup that just looks like 3-2's, and I'm going to swap in some LED tail lights. As soon as I get back from Roundup it's getting Vega steering, maybe one of those half-rack and pinion setups, and a serpentine belt system. It's gonna rule.

:p

26. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I have an empty engine stand over here... I feel like I've put in 8 cams in the last month or so, whats one more? wait 2 more, since we are about to swap cams in Bryan's truck too...

27. Rusty

Rusty

I haven't told anybody yet but I'm going to swap the Rochersters for an electronic fuel injection setup that just looks like 3-2's, and I'm going to swap in some LED tail lights. As soon as I get back from Roundup it's getting Vega steering, maybe one of those half-rack and pinion setups, and a serpentine belt system. It's gonna rule.

"SWEET, What about some radials and AC?"

Rusty

28. Elrod

Elrod

A/C sounds "COOL"!

..shesh.. why did I go there?

29. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

gottcha,,,, we should race down congress hahahahahaha