Register now to get rid of these ads!

High School bodywork Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drdave, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Well, the kids shot a couple of coats of filler primer today. If school doesn't get cancelled because of snow on Friday, it will be in semi gloss black. :) There is certainly body work left to be done, but I'm thinking it is gonna look waaaay better than I had planned.

Attached Files:

2. well shit.

thats pretty bitchin. wish i had that when i was in highschool.

3. Bainbridge

Bainbridge
    from Illinois

looks cool, I wish I had something like that to work on when I was in highschool

4. Thanks guys! I'll admit, however, I'm waaaaaaaaay past high school. ;) The high school body shop class has been "practicing" on it the last couple of weeks. I think they have done a real good job....better than I would have done on most of it. They welded all the trim holes, shaved the emblems, hood, trunk and door handles and fixed a few dents. I'm pretty stoked. I brought it in and thought they were just gonna scuff it and throw some black paint on it for practice with the paint gun.

5. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

it looks good in primer! Im diggin the wheels and tires...

6. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

Are you going to drop that back down a tad,... like allot??

7. solo_909

solo_909

did you take it to a school to have it worked on? thats awesome and I bet cheap if you did that

8. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Looks good Dave... It will look even better satin black...

9. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

damn i wish they woulda had something like that when i was in highschool :(

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Well, I guess you are just now the oldest high school student there! Just dont go cruising around the parking lot for chicks, cuz A. that would be real wierd, and B. old cars attract young women these days like cat urine. 10 years ago when I was a high school youngin it used to discourage me to see all the chicks with those Jap car tuner idiots, and few chicks dug my friends and I. Oh well.

Car looks killer!

11. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

I got a high school body shop paint job. They couldn't figure out how to get the trim to stay back on and used 1 inch sheet rock screws. No joke....

12. Eventually....haven't gotten around to putting in the blocks in the rear and I over cut the front springs when I did the dropped uprights. Ooops,my bad, but it's getting a Mustang II front end one day, so I'm not sweating it. I'm not building a taildragger, so a rake is in the plan, but I'm not really hating the look of the severe rake, either, really....and several of the guys I know really kinda like it that way. Your results may vary....

Yeah, that is what happened. Toadfrog here on the HAMB is an instructor over there and suggested I bring my car down to let the kids have some gun practice, since I really just wanted to get the thing one color for now and will strip it all down for "real" body work eventually. I had stripped all the chrome off so they didn't have to mask it and when I got it there he said they could fill all the holes for the trim that wasn't going back on. They did a MUCH better job welding the holes shut than I did (I'm a REAL good panel warper when I weld...lol).

Hey Don! Thanks! I think the kids did a pretty decent job. Gonna be at breakfast Sat?

13. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i bet the kids are really enjoying working on the car. and who knows this might be what gets them into the hobby. and they are doing a snazzy job on the body work!!!

14. That is really Kevin's (Toadfrog) motivation for getting my car down there. The goal for the class is, of course, learn how to do bodywork. His feeling is that if they can do that on an old car, so much the better and maybe add a few to the flock. :)

The kids had been working on individual parts (hoods and stuff) to learn the basics, so when they actually got to work on a real car, they were pumped. There are a few pictures on the first thread (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2596903#post2596903) of a pile of them working on it. Today is wet sanding day before semi gloss black tomorrow.....dunno if they will all be piled on for that fun job. LOL

15. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Hope they realize when they get back to the late model stuff, that you can't beat on it like you can old iron. LOL. They will have fenders looking like a sack of walnuts!

Looking good Dave, and good on ya for helping the young'uns out. See you in Dewey in a couple months.

GV

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

David, I noticed that your rear tires have hardly any tread on them. You're not planning on driving it on the street like that, are you? Especially if we get the snow that's forecast?

17. You are funny, Duncan! If we get that snow, I doubt those boys will be in to the school to paint it anyhow....so I guess it will get to spend the weekend all nice and cozy warm in the booth waiting for them.....slick tires and all. LOL

Hey George! We are counting the days. Duncan has been on my case for not bringing the chevy to Dewey, but since it is all I can do to get it limped across town right now, I think it needs a bit more work before it is officially long-distance ready. So, I'll just be an observer again this year. :)

18. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I will be there...

I had wondered that myself... big difference between these old cars and the so-called steel that is in todays cars....

19. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I started to help Duncan out on that comment, but decided against it...

20. Man, that looks great, Can hardly wait to see it finished :D

Drove through there on my way to Jonesboro yesterday, They probably wouldn't have been too keen on an "Ozark Hillbilly" part-time substitute teacher stoppin' by and looking, but it would have been neat to see first-hand...

Stay safe in this latest wave of winter crap...

Mark

21. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

I've stressed that there is a huge difference in the HSLA and HSS metal that is used on todays cars and the older sheetmetal. Plus they spent the 9 weeks before bringing in daves car, hammering out the dents and appling fillers. And the 9 weeks before the spent welding.

Just a note, we have a 3 year program. The students that do most of the work are 2nd and 3rd year......

I had two teams that chose to shave the handles on the doors that I had assigned them.

I am very proud of several students that have really "stepped up" since the car was brought in.

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

When do I bring in my '46? And Nomad?

23. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

well i know you are very proud of them and have every right to be!!!! i hope that the funding is there for another three years because this is teaching those kids alot more than just body and paint.

24. BBuford

BBuford

Lookin' good Dave, you can make it to Dewey.