Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your best old car Deal ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bumpybigblok, Mar 1, 2008.

1. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

In the fall of 67, one day I rolled into the Shell Station to gas up and
    hang out. Charlie had his 49 blk 2dr Merc. up on the lift. The starter
    was hanging by the cable and still bolted to a piece of bellhousing.He
    asked "You know how much fucking work it"s going to take to fix this?" He told me all the shit that had to come apart to get the bellhousing off and then bitched some more. I said "Why don't you sell it to me?" He said " What'll Ya gimme?" I say "You know it's a lot
    of work so hows $10. Bucks?" Sold!! He let it down and jumped in
    the service truck and pushed me to the bodyshop where I worked
    and inside to get to work on her. I jacked her up, crawled under,stuck the starter in place with one hand and welded it in place
    with the other. I let it down, cranked it up, and headed to the Shell.
    Pulled up to the pump and yelled to Charlie,"Fill'er up, and don't forget to bring me the title tomorrow. He couldn't believe I had it running in less than a hour, and wanted to know if he could buy it back? "Hell no, I just got it."I never did transfer the Title. I drove the shit out of it for a Month and then sold it back to Charlie for $20.Bucks. Doubled my money .

kiwijeff and Fender1325 like this.
  2. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

bought a 72 corvette from a buddy of mine that needed to sell it desperately for $1500 sold it two days later for $3800

3. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

66' olds one owner for 2k. No rust. Hasn't been on the road since 81'. All paperwork and all. The owner died and his familly found the car in the barn on jacks.[​IMG]

4. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

bought my 51 for $42 after walking for hours trying to find the owner. my buddy and i found it in some woods while playing around. we were 13 at the time and im the second owner.

5. jimmyv

jimmyv

I bought a 51 Merc with a running flathead and a spare block and Merc crank for $300.00. Sold the block and crank for $300.00. Pulled the motor and tranny for a Model A couple project and sold the body for $600.00. The guy paid and never came back. I told him he could have 90 days to get it. It's been 2 years and I still have the body.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

1965: Bone stock '51 Anglia I saw in a old lady's garage. Got it for $15.

1967: A '34 3 window coupe ex-race car with roll bar, boxed frame, good body, Olds rear end, no fenders, hood,...price was pretty good, though...FREE!

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. I bought a 60 - something rambler from a buddy for $5 bucks... I cant remember if I paid him $2 and owe him $3.... or paid him $3 and still owe him $2. He cant remember either, so we havent ever finished the deal. Car ran like shit. Never better never worse. I drove it for almost a year, and finally totalled it .

8. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

In 2003 got a 61 Lincoln Continental for FREE!!
    A drinkin' buddy lost his space, and his mind (long story) I sold it 2 weeks latter for $3K, gave him $1K.

Not the best tale, but I was happy. If it would have been a 34 ford I would never have sold her...

9. in 1975 i bought a 64 impala from an old lady that owned a plantation house , she didnt know what kind of car it was , but she did know her husband only bought chevys , so i went to check it out and all it needed was a set of tires as it was sittin in her garage for some time with 2200 hundred miles on the clock
    she only wanted $150 bucks but i gave her $200 anyway..

10. I have had several great deals once at a divorce auction i bought 25 cars and trucks for $100.00.Another time a freind sold me a56 chev 4 door good driver for $35.00. He needed the money to pay a fine. I drove it for a year then sold the engine for $60.00 and used the trans in my 63 pk. However the very best deal ever was 2 years ago at another court ordered divorce auction i bought a 55 chev 2 dr handy man wagon body for $150.00 We have it running now and plan to keep it. :D OldWolf

11. Andy

Andy

It is easier to state good deals the farther back you go. How about Sept 1966. Bought a 32 3W with chrome moldings and all fenders plus 25 louver for $200. Later that month bought a running 55 Nomad for $500. Wish I still had the Nomad. I have the 3W

12. Al Von

Al Von

In 1983 I bought a '76 Plymouth Volare 2-door, 318/Auto, for $100. Ice-cold air, but ran like shit. Corrected two plug wires, ran fine. The next day, a buddy with a Dodge Aspen stops by, offers me $50 to trade my white interior for his tan interior...ok! Drove that car all over for a year. Somebody hit it hard in the rear while it was parked on the street. Still sold it for $100.

In '05, I bought a '79 Coupe De Ville from a tightwad at work for $100 for scrap. He had owned the car since '80 and got his money's worth out of the car. Car had 130K, droopy headliner, leaky gas tank and oil pan. But overall, a driver. Triple black, sunroof, even the climate control still worked! I thrashed on it for two months. When I was done, I had an obnoxious, loud, low, long Caddy that did two Power Tours and lots of other miles, for about $800. Got 17 MPG too, at 70 mph! The next Feb, the driveshaft started making noises. I had no other car or garage and no way was I gonna lay in the snow under that thing to get that shaft out! Like a moron, I scrapped it. Still kicking myself today. Shoulda got the credit card out, bit the bullet and fixed it!

13. studematt

studematt

In 2005 I bought a 32 ford sedan body frame and alot of good deuce parts for $1,000. A year later a good friend gave me for FREE another deuce sedan body just a gutted shell. And last summer on craigslist I bought a steel 32 5w complete body and frame for $3,500. Believe or not I will post pics soon. They are out there.

14. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I had the same type of experience, my friend had an S-10 that ran like shit. He"tuned" it up and it ran worse. He said he was gonna junk it for $50. I gave him the $50 and took it home. I opened the hood and gave it a once over......clocked the distributor cap to the proper position and locked it down. I couldn't believe the thing ran with the cap loose like that. I drove it back to his house and gave him the $50 and told him to drive it. I could tell he was actually dissappointed to have the thing back. :p

15. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

about 2 months ago i bought a 55 CADILLAC 2DR HARDTOP for 500 bucks. the lady wasmoving and needed to get rid of the thing. she had said it ran but it wasent at the time. it took me and a buddy of mine a hour and it ran. the outer body is very solid only needs one patch . the floors need some help in the center pans. the rest is ver nice. it even has nice inner rockers and wheel wells. not bad for 5oo bucks.

16. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

Want to sell it? I'm looking for nice & easy "family car" project

17. DrJ

DrJ

In '76 I bought a '55 Olds Super88Holiday for $75, rebuilt the engine for about $450 and drove it for 12 years, pretty much daily if I wasn't on the Harley or driving the MGB GT I got in '85 (and still have) for $1000 with a new Blaupunkt cassette AM/FM and a new set of 5 Michilin XZX tires
    Traded the Olds straight across for my '40 GMC in '88.

Bought a Renault Caravell in '69 for $10. Needed the right front brake adjuster cam.
    Sold it 6 days later for $80

Bought a custom metalflake Honda CB450 or $10, rode it for a few months and sold it for $350. Got it cheap because the charging system diode was out and the battery wouldn't charge. Easy fix.

18. Down in Virginia in 1963, I stopped at a gas station out near the highway. There was a '47 Ford coupe with a nice body and a nice R & P interior. It had Kentucky plates and the hood was open. I inquired and was told that the station owner had bought the car off a stranded motorist after the engine had gone bad. The problem was one melted piston in the flathead motor. The station owner had tried to put in a new piston, but every Ford piston he tried would end up sticking out of the block.
    I bought the car for $50. Then I put in a Mercury piston to match the 4-inch Mercury crank. I sold the car shortly afterwards for what I then thought was a huge profit.

19. 27T

27T

32 Tudor body, for $300

20. primed34

primed34

In '80 I bought a '32 Ford tudor on the frame with the B drivetrain at an estate auction for $10. Gave the drivetrain away. Sold the frame, gas tank, garnish moldings and some other small stuff for about $500. The body wasn't all that rusty but a lot of sheet metal was cut off. Still have the body and with all the sheetmetal panels available today, it has become a father son project. Wish I had thoes moldings back.

21. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

I just got a '64 econoline van from th original owner that used it as a wholesale delivery van till '86 stored every night in a wharehouse from '64 to '86 and in a garage from '86 till i got it. Best of all it was...FREE!
    [​IMG]

22. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Got a 37 chevy truck ,plus a big block with it for free! I broke down in my 41 ford, im in the middle of the street trying to get it strated this guy drives up says, I got one of those in my driveway, Interested? he siad he wanted it out of there like today. I got the truck running swung by his house and found a 37 chevy truck the guy said get it out of here and its yours. so I grabed pops and drug it home. let it sit out back for about 6 months then traded it for some work on my truck.

23. 067chevy

067chevy

32 2 door sedan body, 27 t 2 door sedan body, 30 A 2 door sedan body all for free. the old guy wanted that junk out of there

24. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

a few years ago ,i went to a salvage that was going out of business.they where going to open at 9am .i got there at 8 and the woman running the place let me in.!!the first thing i saw was the rearend of a 55 new yorker.when i walked around it .i saw it still had the hemi in it.she said $300for complete cars .(the front clip was off this car.) JOKINGLY i said this cars not complete.she goes ok $200.i paid her right there.this car was loaded had electric windows ,a/c.p/s,power brakes.when i got it home i pulled the hemi sold all the electric parts ,a/c, trim. then sold the shell to a guy for ....you quessed it $200.so i got a complete 331 . and made about $500...

25. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

2 years ago I found a 57' Cadillac Fleetwood in Hemmings for $1800. It was a 35,000 mile car but the interior was all burned up due to a fire 10 years prior. I showed up to look at it with a trailer and loaded it up for $600. The MINT hubcaps were still in the trunk which I sold for $350, I then parted the rest out keeping the drivetrain. Ended up scrapping the remainder for $250!

26. Ruiner

Ruiner

I got my '40 Plymouth for $100 at an auction, sold all the trim and stuff I didn't need for about $600 and it's being built into a gasser...not much else I've owned were good deals...

27. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

In 1990 I bought a 64 Impala SS from a Lady for only $800. It was able to drive home too! (but needed a rebuild)

28. shelby1965367

shelby1965367

I was looking to buy a used car,it was to be my first car.I could not afford a new one in 1970,I decided it would be either a 65 gto for $1000.00 or a 65 mustang fastback for $1300.00. I ended up buying the mustang with the blue stripes on it,and it was a 65 shelby and I still have it,I done good, it is worth a little more than what I paid for it.Best deal I will ever get:)

tnshovelhead likes this.
  29. Greybeard

Greybeard

It's a tie - In 1973, Modesto California, two cars within a couple of weeks - I bought an early 50's mild custom black 1950 Ford Tudor with Offy heads and intake, orig Hollywood glaspacks, overdrive for $75. Sold it for $750 to a guy in Bakersfield after playing with it for a couple years. A few weeks after the Ford, I won a year old 30,000 mile 72 CHP Dodge Polara 440 with everything but the light bar for $125 plus a $7.00 buyers fee, at the state auction in Sacramento. The trans wouldn't go into gear. I found another 747 for $25 but didn't need it - a B&M shift kit and fluid worked like a charm. It ran like a beast and loved dirt roads. I traded it straight across for a lavender '54 Ford pickup with a complete '68 Cobra Jet power train then traded the Ford for a clean 58 Chev Apache that I drove for many years before selling.
    Anyone in Modesto know what might have happened to that 54 Ford F1? It was pale lavender with black steel wheels, and a nice wooden bed and every body seam except for the doors had been welded solid. Haven't seen it since 1975...

30. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

bought a 60's school bus 6 years ago bought it for 300 and sold the small block for 400 hundred a week later.