Register now to get rid of these ads!

Michigan get together at the dragstrip??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falcon Gasser, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I was just seeing if there was anyone who might want to get together up at old Lapeer dragstrip this Spring/Summer/Fall.
    Saturdays are test and tune and you can make several runs with no problem and I live down the road from the owner and have been going there for 15+ years and if we wanted I am sure we could have a little elimination also. The track is old and has some bumpy spots but its a great place to just have fun.
    Just putting this out there to see if anybody is interested in this.

Jon

2. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Hell yes, depending on date conflicts, but a Hamb type drag event, I would sure try to make it from northwest Indiana!

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Plan it and they will come:D

4. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

It would probaly be a one day get together. Like I said Saturday is the best day to pull this off and we could get together a couple times in the year and make it easy in case of rain or something.
    Jon

5. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Cool, maybe I can break into the 20's!

6. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Its good to have hi hopes lol. I know there has to be lots of members that would love to hang out and run there cars and see what they can do. Since there is no nostalgia type drags in Michigan and there are tons of old cars this could be really cool.

7. jdubbya

jdubbya

I have been there quite a few times as of late... My buddies test and tune there regularly. I am sure there would be a good turn out, if there was an exact date set.

8. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

You can definitely count me in. I only live 40 minutes from "Billy Bobs" raceway but its been at least 10 years since I've been there.

9. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I think I will start getting more serious about this and get in touch with the track owner about being able to run a small elimination for HAMB members on a Saturday and maybe put out a date or two that could work. Hell, just having a group together to make time runs would be great the first time out.
    Jon

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

:rolleyes:hey if the date is good and i can get there..i will be there to watch 4 sure..Race? probably not..really not my thing , I like to watch:p

11. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I'd be there with bells on, or at least a slow wagon :)

12. jdubbya

jdubbya

Here is a video taken from the last time i was there... it was late in the season, and track conditions were horrible. The red Camaro is a good friends, and it made a best pass of 8.38 after sprayin down the starting line with VHT, on good track conditions, it runs in the 7's. The black Camaro is also from the Flint area, he was supposed to run the red car for big money, but after saving the car, he didnt really want to race that day. He is rumored to be running mid 8's, but nobody knows for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VYL9-Prur4

Not much has changed at the track, other that some new restrooms.

13. chopped

chopped

RedSled here in Ga. put one on the last three years. You may want to PM him for the pros and cons. We all have a great time.

14. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Ya Lapeer is not known for the best track conditions, but I run 10.70's in my Altered and it works alright but I would not want to run to much faster than 10's most of the time. I went to Norwalk for the Blue Suede cruise last year and the track was horrible, I was sliding at the 8th mile and thats uncommon for me and thats a great track but they did not do anything with it to prep it for some reason. I think most of us would be slower than mid 10's and should not have a problem. I thought Lapeer would be a good place because its small enough that you can make several runs and the bigger tracks have there programs together for the year and Milan is not even interested in any type of nostalgia race but they are having 2 weekends for imports this year. Like I said I hope just to get the group together for time runs and shoot the bull and maybe run an eliminations.
    Jon

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Count me in. 3TONFUN oughtta be good for a coupla mid 30 sec runs.....

16. pro/spectator

pro/spectator

Falcon Gasser why not Milan? I've seen you run there a few times.

17. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I would love to go to Milan but they are booked up and Lapeer would probally be better for running what you brung and more runs down the track.

Jon

18. cooljunk

cooljunk

Jon, Count me in for shure. The same thought crossed my mind wnen we last talked.

Attached Files:

19. cooljunk

cooljunk

I posted a link to this thred on the Lapeer Dragway site. Jeff

20. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I knew you would be up for this. I am going to talk with Ed and see if he will let us do a elimnation on Saturday test and tune. I ran with the Royal Pontiac race in 2004 on a Saturday and it was fitted in between test and tune runs.

Jon

21. Awwww yeah I'm there!!!! I've never been to that one. I like Ubly though. It's got a kin of old school (rundown) feel to it.

22. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Id definatley be up for this. Would non- HAMB friendly cars be welocme? I usually take my pro street pickup there....I'm in Imlay City and its a nice cruise over to the track....

23. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Ya I like Ubly but it is going to be closed this coming year and the future of it is unclear. Its a shame because tracks are getting harder to find, but the economy is in the hole so bad I guess its the sign of the times.

As far as non HAMB type vehicles my thought was just getting the group together and meeting people in the group. I dont have a problem with it and I guess we will see what everyone wants to do when we figure out a date or two.

Jon

24. No shit! I didn't know they were closed down... Shitty shitty shitty...

I wish I could buy it before Walmart gets to it...

25. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I hope they find somone to take over operation of it. The people who have ran it over the last 20 years own Northern Michigan raceway and said the commute was getting hard, I did hear and it could be just talk that they wanted to purchase the track but the owner of the property did not want to sell or wanted to much, but that could just be somones story. As of right now its just sitting there and I think there web site states the future of the track is uncertain. Lets hope they can get it up and running. Now that would be a neat place to have a weekend HAMB event.

Jon

26. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

sounds great give me a date and email me a flyer so i can get it to all the hot rod shops i deal with down here in ypsi and im sure we dcan get a old timers race,

as far as milan i am going to be giving them money again this year and giving money to on of the local racers for my company name on his doors, i will see what maybe we can do for next year as it has to be set up way, way, way in advance but maybe a local that gives money also might get a little further

27. pro/spectator

pro/spectator

I understand, if it's a go at Lapeer please let me know, if you want I'll try to make it out there and make some DVD's. I shoot video's at Milan.

28. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Thanks for the offer on the dvd's, I am sure we will have some king of get together this year, maybe even two. I will post something soon after I talk with the track owner. This would be be cool to have a bunch of great old cars all together for a day of smoken tires and going fast.

Jon

29. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I went to a Ford "club" get together @ Brainard in Denver & they had a day of fun runs, food vendors, a car show, & a swap meet all in one.
    I thought it worked really well & I'm sure the track owner made a few bucks too.

30. wz56km

wz56km

Lumpy Lapeer, that is what me and my buddies used to call it but it's perfect for a get together like this. Last time we we're there was about 10 years ago when all my friends got together for the "corn field nationals" where we brought out our winter beaters and raced. Nothing under 15 seconds but it was a total blast!

I'll bring my wagon and we can have the 30 second showdown. :)