Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Holden EK Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28A, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Here are a few pics of my new project.. as i want a new daily car. Only rust is in the right bottom sill and it comes with a patch panel for it. Also comes with front bumper lights grill ect.

Motor for those who don't know is a Grey 138cc 6 cylinder. Someone painted it red over the years though.

Anyway heres the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. striper

striper

Looks pretty straight to be just sitting there half stripped. Get to it

Pete

3. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

those have some neat styling, kind of like all the good elements of the 50's american cars.

4. so that makes it a RED motor now. ooh ahh :p

5. Heh.. i wish :p

As Jon said.. i love the lines and looks of the FB / EK Holdens. I can't wait to get this one done.. shouldn't take too long its gona be an easy resto.

Plans are.. probably a powder blue, same colour wheels with whitewalls and hubcaps / trim rings.. white and blue tuck 'n' roll upholstery and preferably a HR front end with a 186 or a 202 in it.

6. There's the spanner in the works right there, you may have just jinxed yourself!! My EK was going to be a quick blow over and driveline swap, three and a half years later...... done, well enough for now. It runs a grey red motor :D

Sounds like a good plan though all easy stuff.

7. 63Compact

63Compact

Maybe he doesnt have two little distractions and a Borris.

8. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Geeeez....after 2 years offshore...I used to think they were just shitty old Holdens....but, suddenly, that there's a finned classic with a beautiful dash...........I WANT ONE !!!

9. You forgot houdini, seems little dog is taking to digging out!!!

10. mechanically, your plans mirror that of my mates plans for his fb ute. we'll let ya know if we hit any snags.
    and hello JD! why are you not at the tote with gonz right now seeing dread etc

11. I'm unsure if i'm going to change the front end, or the motor just yet.

I would like to make it a floor shift cause i've never driven a column manual before (Only driven my HJ sedan, an EH wagon, and a LH Torana) and when i tried to figure out how to do it on my mates other EH Wagon and another mates LJ i couldn't get it.. ahh !

Pretty set on doing a simple paint and wheels, the motor doesn't run apparently but shouldn't be too hard to get going as it looks like its in decent condition with new style leads and a new coil on it.. so hopefully it aint much.

12. customfc

customfc

Looks like a nice start for a project.
    A quick build might take a bit more than you expect. All straight forwards mods though.
    How about that FE/FC standard wagon next to it. Do you have any details on that ol' girl?
    Regards
    Alex

13. Customfc,

Nah i don't. Most of the cars at the property are pretty shit, some being pretty good though. Its located in Fernvale, Ipswich.

If you want the fellas number i can get it for you and you can talk to him about it.

I'm considering just rebuilding all the stock front end and brakes and stuff.. if they were good 40 years ago whats to say they arent any good these days?

14. omr007

omr007

nice find buddy :)
    good to see some old tin being saved!
    western brissy definitely has some untapped resources, cant wait to see her out and about!

15. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

Looks like some 55-56 ford and some 55-57 chevy styling together, are they the size of 50's era chevy?

16. OMR007,

Where in Brissy are you from mate? Got msn?

Bill,

They are as far as i'm aware were styled after a 57 Chev apparently.. they look pretty damn similar in some aspects. Although no they aren't as big as one. We saw a nice '57 cruisin on the way home actually :p

Glad they aren't as big though.. cause every bloody shopping center around here has car parks that are designed for bubble cars ! How the shit am i supposed to park a big old Chev in there? Bastards that don't think of us old car folks.. Pretty stoked i don't drive an Impala or a Galaxy :p Haha !

17. omr007

omr007

you have a PM mate :)

18. nice score man , but you do know the steering wheel is on the wrong side right?:D:D

19. flh,

You sure are a smartass whiteboy aren't you :p hahaha. Steering wheel is on the correct side, you yanks got it wrong :p Haha.

I still can't believe i'm gettin it.. super stoked on it. Want it finish in like three months too for one of our biggest car / rockabilly festivals Wintersun.

20. Not a nice way to make my first post, But Flh4speed, Its a holden HK, not a 57 belair or something or rather, they never came in LHD.

However, i was there with Nick on the day and found a car that is generally LHD, But instead it was RHD, So yeah, im planning on buying it sometime soon ;)

21. Jackson,

EK not HK. I'm assuming a typo :p

Also he wassn't being serious haha. Its a common joke between us Aussies and the boys over the pond.

22. keep us posted on your progress man !:D

23. Scotty Harrod

Scotty Harrod

First Red coloured Grey Motor I've seen!! LOL
    Gonna get it together fot the FB EK Holden Nats at Yamba this year, Star Guitar???

24. Nice.

Correction, the EK shop manual has LHD EK Holdens listed. These went to places like Hawaii & various countries.

I need to start work on my EK but have the '25 Chev and Torana hatch to finish before I get to it.:(

25. omr007

omr007

Geez, don't Aussies come pouring out of the woodwork when an interesting post comes about! Good to see :)

26. Really?

News to me :p ...Looks like you learn something new every day!

27. sololobo

sololobo

Cool** Thats one worth Holden on to!! Good luck with a neat project!-Sololobo

28. Takes me back to my childhood, here's the family wagon.........

[​IMG]

29. Lots of US elements there, taillights are like '57 Pontiac, side trim like '55 Pontiac, and the top on the wagon has a real 57 Olds/Buick look to it. If there'd been one of those here instead of the next newer one I probably would have brought the whole car home instead of just a set of hubcaps and the horn button.

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

They kind of resemble the Opel Rekord.