Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it possible to improve the lowly chisel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by manyolcars, Feb 20, 2008.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

2. Hmmm,

Buy American, or not... Hmmm...

Imagine if every Hamber bought even one of these...

3. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i was telling my friend just yesterday that i almost have enough chisels and punches,but i could use 3 or 4 more hammers.

looks like i need a few more chisels.;)

4. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

coulda used one of those yesterday, and a few times last week, and several times before that...my hand hurts :p

i'm gonna have to look for those things!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hmmm...you can SUE somebody when you miss the chisel and hit your hand??!?
    Hot Dog!!
    I'm gonna retire!! :)

6. Crankhole

Crankhole

Makes me want to hit something. Gotta love ingenuity.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Cutting stuff by hand is becoming a lost art...lots of younger people don't realize that things can be cut without power tools, and a few don't even realize that a scredriver can rotate without power...

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I love chisels - I feel very barbaric & basic when I resort to hitting things to break them - I love it!!

9. Al Von

Al Von

The first time somebody asked me if I had a cordless screwdriver I said: "When did they ever have cords?"

10. Wesley

Wesley

I have seen those chisels, but for the life of me I cant remember where. It may be time for me to update my chisel inventory.

11. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Chisels are fine, but my favorite (and most versatile) tool is a great selection of handfiles from tiny to huge.

12. spudshaft

spudshaft

Manyolcars, "from federally occupied territory", glad to see you posting again.

13. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  14. I bought a quarter panel off a 1962 Pontiac from a farmer. The car was located in a hay field, thus NO cutting torch allowed. Used cutting chisel, big hammer, and ear plugs to remove part. Took a lot of time and hard work to get removal done. Should have used the newest invention - the nuclear powered -power chisel. Oh, this item has not been invented or approved as of yet. The lawyers sure know how to screw up new ideas and the American dream!

15. 97flatrat

97flatrat

16. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

17. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

That looks like some good stuff right there, I don't like the cheapo china chisels(say that five times fast) they seem to dull a lot quicker, I've been using a set of chisels that my grandpa bought in the 40's but i think I will go buy myself a "new" chisel from them.
    How could you go wrong with those chisel's, less chance of injury, less hand fatigue, and the chisel will last longer since you won't be peening over the head.

18. Let us know how they fair when you get 'em!!!

19. im in 100% agreement , that and of course setting shit on fire from time to time:D

20. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

They look good but I prefer to use my Air Chisel when I can.

21. Twenty years ago I used to make my own out of rebar. The most challenging part was to get the temper right. Quench the tip, quick grind it shiney again, then let the blue/peacock colored band approach the with in 1/4 to 1/8" of the quenched tip and quench it again. Seemed to work pretty well. An old blacksmith taught me that. Several of us would demo that process at the Mower Country Fair. I think they sold them for a few bucks each to cover raw material costs, coal, etc.

I don't have a forge now-a-days,so I guess I'll go to Home Depot and check these out...

22. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Ihave a set I bought as an apprentice in 1971 ,36 years of cnstant use and probably another 100 years of life in them. YOU CAN BUY QUALITY .:)
    two things you never do with a cold chisel.
    1. never sharpen it on a grinder..use a file.

2/ never leave the burred over end on the chisel .always Grind that off. those burr ends come off and either go into your hand or eye.

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

Nothing better than a freshly sharpened chisel slicing through metal.It's almost sexual,the banging part anyways

24. It would be worth $9 just to prove we can do something better than China, at least until China rips them off, too.

25. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

still wouldn't stop me from buying them made here...

26. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I love stories like that. Makes me proud to be an American.

- Joe

27. Chad s

Chad s

+ Makes me proud to be a Baltimorean also!

28. Even after the enevitable rip-off, the U.S. model will be better, just not cheaper.

29. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Holy shit...is that scientist's name really "Dr. Peter Popper?"

Damn, I bet he had a "hard" childhood.

30. If everyone on the HAMB bought one,maybe it would plant the seed,that would start the recovery of North American industry,from the Chinese.;)" Boycott offshore CRAP"!