Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T? License Plate alterations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73roundlight, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Hey all,

This might be o/t, but its the only place I know to ask.

Can you make alterations to your license plates? I was thinking of drilling holes in mine to mount on the radiator (maybe I don't have to, but I was thinking about it).

But it does beg the question on whether you can make any other alterations.

Thanks for any advice.

—MRAK

2. belair

belair

Probably is illegal to modify the plates in any way, but only a real hard nose cop or inspector (and we know there's no shortage of those) would give you any grief. Make it as inconspicuous as possible and you might be ok. Or be creative and find a way to mount it without altering it.

3. ray

ray
    from colorado

generally, no you can't.

hell, in texas you are not allowed to have ANY part of your plate obstructed. that means the cheap dealer frames most people have are illegal, though it's not an issue for most people...unless they fit some police profile.

i wouldn't let it stop me though, but that's me.

4. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Every law I've ever seen on the subject is focused on whether it's modified or mounted with the intent of obscuring it

5. Make an 18 gage stainless backing plate as wide as your state plate - which is probably 6" x 12" - and an inch or two taller.

Drill the backing plate to match your mount holes and the top holes in your state plate.

Inconspicous and legal.

Look close at my 32 roadster and you can just see the front plate backing plate.

The rear is a little more visible because it drops the plate down lower so it's more visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

In Texas the DPS is going to get you. City cops probably not. With the introduction of cameras at intersections here the man wants to make sure they get a clean shot of your plate when you run those orange lights. Also, with all the drugs and illegals going north up 35 and 77 your tag is run in places you would never think about.

7. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Holes ant shit .. Got mine LOUVERED !!! ..Lock me up and throw the key away

8. belair

belair

Way to go, nitro. Screw the man!!

9. Thanks to everyone - so far.

I did a quick illustration so that everyone would know what I mean (which is attached). My thought was to not obscure any of the real text but drill holes around that. Also, I was thinking about a small size hole, 1/8" tops.

— MRAK

Attached Files:

10. Funny Nitro, was writing when you posted. Nobody has given you any hell?

11. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

No Hell .. Anywere .................:D

12. chop509

chop509

I had louvered ones too, they were completely legible.

Got pulled over, highway patrolman said he couldn't read them.
    He told me that the state owns the plates, and that they couldn't be altered in any way (I was charged for the plate by the DMV, how could the state own them)????

Gave me a ticket for not displaying my tags properly.

Went to court, they asked me if the plate was obscured with a trailer hitch etc.... told them nope, they dismissed the ticket.

I think alot is going to depend on the cop whether or not you get away with it.

13. Big Nick

Big Nick

From what I have been told and seen in NY, it goes along with that has been said. My neighbor got ticketed many times for a plate bracket on his stock Harley for impropper display. Also I was told you can not "restore" an antique plate by painting it even if its the same color.