Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any safe, cheap d.i.y. way to clean out a intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dotcentral, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dotcentral

dotcentral

I got a cheap cast iron FE intake, that was left out in the weather for several months, in addition to the oil and other crud. Any safe and practical way to clean it up myself? I can sandblast the outside, but the guy I got it from pulled it off a beater galaxie, and the passages look pretty gummed up.

A buddy said he use to soak them in kerosene, and it worked good for him. How volatile is that stuff? If I bought a plastic container with a snap on lid at Lowes, would that seal the fumes in so I can leave it in the garage soaking? Or park it one the back deck and hope the neighborhood punks son't mess with it?

2. Gibson

Gibson
    from Butler, PA

kero will clean it up, i use it on rusty bike chains the are all shitty, and the look like new when im done

3. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

check with your local machine shop. they can hot tank it for $10 to $15 bucks. hard to buy enough kerosene for that. then you have to get rid of kerosene...just my thoughts dave

4. rodknocker

rodknocker

Molasses, do a search on it here, the results are pretty amazing.

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

X2 on the machine shop hot tank. Don't need to reinvent the wheel. Good luck

6. I was thinking about trying reverse electrolysis on one that I have

7. floored

floored

I tried that, the hair on my back regrew. Have it tanked.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As some of the guys said, it shouldn't cost over 20.00 to have it cleaned at an automotive machine shop anywhere in the country.
    That won't buy many alternative cleaning supplies.

9. dotcentral

dotcentral

I googled where I live and machine shop, didn't realize there where that many in town. I'll call some of them up and see how it goes. Thanks.