Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 gets a new smile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brewsir, Feb 9, 2008.

1. brewsir

brewsir

Thought i would show off the new smile in the 57 wagon. I just spent last week putting a new 235 in it after blowing the old one up on the way to billetproof last year. So anyway...I decided it was time to put the 57 buick grille in (it's been on the shelf for at least a year now!) I didn't take any how to pics as my batteries were dying before I even started..but it was a very simple project that I did in a couple hours time I guess. Oh yea...I added a shot of the new digs...Macs55 and myself got this shop to butcher some stuff up!

Attached Files:

2. lookin kick ass man..

3. jeffrob

jeffrob

bye bye chicken wire......... looks slick

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks great!

So.... what's the story with the F-100? Any pics?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slick, I always liked that swap and the hood looks pretty smooth too.

6. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

That is a classic look. Very cool.

7. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

bad ass :cool:

looks like you got some glass in there too,good job :D

8. 'Mo

'Mo

The headlight conversion also works nicely on this car .

9. Dirty2

Dirty2

I love them buick grills in chevys ..

10. NoSurf

NoSurf

11. No doubt about it, that is the absolute best ever grille swap for a '57 Chevy. It was great 50 years ago and it's even better today!

Charlie

12. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

That looks great!

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

looks good, How much of a pain was it to do the hood (remove the bulges). are those Olds headlight rings..

14. brewsir

brewsir

Thanks guys. I almost didn't do the grille just because it's been done so many times before....but since I had it already I figured why not!
    As for the hood I didn't actually remove the bulges...most of the hood skin is 57 cadillac ..I tried welding up the original bulges but got pretty wavy...so I just cut it off and used the chevy underbraces with a caddy hood. The headlights are 56 olds.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  15. brewsir

brewsir

That's Macs55 panel with an 8 inch chop on a volare front clip and bagged in the rear...sorry no pics.

16. Nailhead

Nailhead

took the words right outta my mouth...

Todd

17. NoSurf

NoSurf

So- on the '57- what did you have to do for the hood latch?

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looks great. more pics please

19. Once again, I tip my hat in your general direction, sir. That car rules.

I think the US built cars are different, but around here I have seen guys swap out a 57 Pontiac hood for the Chevy one. Lot less smoothing involved.

20. brewsir

brewsir

Stock hood latch(thats part of the 57 chevy hood I kept)..the release lever clears the buick grill with just a small amount of trimming

21. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

i love those grilles...lookin good man.

flaco

22. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Dear Brewsir,

Me miss you long time Big Boy. Love the way the Goon is coming along. Can't wait to see it in person if I EVER get my dumb ass up that way again.

Gunna spend the weekend in Utah with Ragdoll and Mac. Something about hanging with the wrong crowd comes to mind. I'm sure he'll miss you.:D

23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

How about more info on how you did the hood. How close was the caddy hood to the chevy.. was it remove the factory chevy inner bracing and add to the caddy? how about sharing some more details, I think there are a few on here who would like to learn..

not to ofter we see nicely done custom 57's

24. brewsir

brewsir

I'm pretty bad about taking pics. The hood really isn't close to the same shape but is much bigger so what I did was to mark the centerline and then cut the whole skin off the caddy hood. The front lower edge was rusted pretty bad, but I didn't use that part anyway. I trimmed the stock 57 chevy hood about 1" in from the edge down both sides and across the back and then across the front I just trimmed across at the apex of the hood. Then I laid the caddy hood on top of the chevy and centered it using the centerline I drew on both hoods. I pulled the caddy hood as far back as it would go and decided to trim it in a V shape at the front so it would stick forward like a beak ...I used a sharpie and drew on the underside the parts to trim off. After a bunch of trial and error and trimming I had a hood that would sit where it looked good...so I welded the edge all the way around (using normal careful welding methods of course) Yes I left the overlap of about 1 inch all the way around....I did use weld through primer though!

25. brewsir

brewsir

Yea ...Mac shouldn't be at the shop working on his panel...he should be partying in Utah with 2 hot chicks!!! Why not wait until Bonneville in August and have a real good time!??

26. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

Is that wagon chopped too?

27. Rusty Springs

Rusty Springs
    from SouthTexas

Looks great, love the Olds headlights buckets, Buick grill and the Chevy car...nice

28. skillbilly

skillbilly
    from East Bay

That is beautiful ride there. I was thinking of putting 58 Chevy grille in mine, but I think the Buick is the way to go. Is it just the photo, or did you do some work on the roof as well?

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I had one in mine back in 84. I saw the Alexander Brother's 57 and had to do it.
    Didja have problems with the latch? I put in reverse hood pins under the rad support. It was a PITA to get the hood open in a hurry but boy did it look good. That grille's heavy, no?

It looks tits BTW, real nice.