Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinstriping ? about cleanup at 'live' shows...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Hey fellow pinheads- yet another strping question. Might have been covered, but haven't seen it yet. Anyhow, here's my background to start with: i've been striping for several years now, started when i was about 17/18. i'm 27 now. Of course, i haven't striped all that time. it's been an off and on thing. However, within the past 3 or 4 years i've been doing more and more....and more, striping all i can get my hands on.

Anyhow, i've done some striping at a few car shows throughout the years and i'm interested in seeing 4 things you other 'stripers do:

1: what's in your basic travel kit (found a thread started by Roothawg, with only a few pics, but post 'em here too if that's cool)?

2: how many brushes you bring to "live" events (i use about 3).

3: and my biggest question of interest- where and how do you clean up "on the spot" where a sink isn't available.

4: Speaking of cleaning, i read in a link (to Rocky Burris's page) on a previous thread that getting the furrel wet will cause the bristles to fall out over time since the glue on Mack's furrels are water soluable. I've never had this happen, but should i take extra care in the future?

i use mineral spirits for thinning paint, and to clean my brushes. I use little baby food jars, or the caps to spray paint lids to cleanse the brushes in, changing the spirits until the brush is completely clean. Then i use some mild hand soap and warm water to clean the brush, dab a little oil and store. When i'm out at show, sometimes i can't get to warm water or soap so i have to stick with using just the mineral spirits and a few bottles of water. Then i run into the problem of where do i put the used thinner. Most times i end up dumping the used thinner into a coke bottle and disposing of later.

Just curious as to what you guys do, might be an easier way i haven't thought of. Any other thoughts, suggestions, or a point to a link where this has been discussed i'd appreciate it.

thanks
    -ace

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

I never use a sink, I clean my brushes in Mineral spirits and wipe them down. I keep a pop bottle or water bottle around and pour the used spirits in it till it's full then throw it away.

3. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

that's what i've been doing as well. I don't make a habit of dumping spirits down the drain, i should point out. only once in a blue moon when the winter hits and i stripe in the house.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

I figure the plastic bottle with break down in about a hundred years and by that time it will have exhumed the fumes through osmosis in the plastic, and would be water again.:D

5. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

haha, i like your logic. I suppose that's better than my usual "limestone filtration" system i devised. it's as simple as tossing it in your driveway ;)

6. i take my entire kit no matter here i go. its a stanley tri level rolling work cart. in the bottom i keep all my thinners, wax and grease remove, solvent, oil, and bulky items like paper towels, mahl stick, saral paper,rags, etc.
    the next level has all my tools. stabilos, razors, tape, business cards, screwdrivers, etc. then above that is all my paint colors and the top tray has all my striping and lettering brushes.

i wouldnt use soap and water if it were me, but thats just me.

a thorough 3 bottle method for cleaning should be sufficient then use some wall dog or equivalent brush oil for storage.

a small funnel and an old plastic oil quart bottle is great for disposing of old thinner. then you can take it to the local haz mat reclamation center for disposal.

7. I have never let water touch any lettering or striping brush except a sable hair showcard brush. Why would a brush manufacturer use a water soluble glue if they thought you were going to use water?

8. WHY do you use soap and water to clean your brushes ?
    The paint isn't water soluble.

Sounds like too much work,for no reason.
    If you are a serious "Clean Fanatic",get a Ultra-Sonic Cleaner.

Info on brush care here: http://mackbrush.com/brushcare2.htm

9. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

well, i don't really know about that HotRod1940. That's why i'm askin' :D Can't see how mineral spirits would not destroy the glue either. Personally, i used water to rinse the excess mineral spirits off the bristles after drying on paper towl. maybe not anymore now! i've found that it (spirits) makes the bristles pretty nasty if i don't get a chance to condition it prior to storage right away, like if doing a lot of striping in a day. What exactly would be the point of water soluable glue on the furrel anyhow?

i'm liking the funnel idea altered mentioned. See, i knew someone would have an idea i never thought of :) thanks guys. Open to more suggestions if you've got 'em. Altered, if you have a pic i'd like to check out your rolling cart just for the fun of it.

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

I usually just wipe mine dry with a paper towel after cleaning, then let it dry a little and dunk it in some castor oil, with the excess and lay in the box.

I got a giggle out of the limestone filtration system!!!

11. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Unkl Ian, thanks for the link. Reason i used soap/water basically is because i didn't like the idea of having any excess spirits on the brush. Guessing if i just use some conditioner as usual right away i can eliminate the soap/water step. See, ya do learn something new everyday. Serisouly though, that's a good link. thanks

12. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

i expect the patent in about 2 weeks time now. :D

13. To take your queries in order:

I used yo have a small travel kit made from a makeup case that contained about 15 colors in 1/4 pint cans,4-8oz.squeeze bottles(brush cleaner,reducer,oil,and w&g remover)plus magnetic tape for long lines,a roll of 1/8th masking tape,Stabilo pencils(white and black/dark blue)and a small metal brush box with an assortment of stripers and lettering brushes.Also some 1oz. medicine cups for holding thinner and brush cleaner.Separately I have an aluminum clip board that attaches to an old camera tripod for holding my palette.It has clip on cup holders.Also a pair of cotton gloves with the thumb and index finger cut off on the left glove to hold the brush.The other glove allows me to put my hands on the surface of the car without getting prints on it(makes owners happy)and keeping my hand from getting burned on a hot day.Actually you shouldn't be painting in direct sunlight anyway.

It worked nicely but it seemed I was always looking for something(another color I couldn't easily mix or a special brush)so I started hauling my regular box again.Not much larger but much heavier.

I also constructed a table from a disabled person's walker(it folds)and some shelving that clips on.Added a towel rack made from an old paint roller,threaded rod,and a cabinet latch.Also added a clip on waste basket with a sealed lid.Put in paper towels(used)and other trash.Used thinner is absorbed in the used towels and as it is sealed doesn't present a fire hazard.Cleanup is as you go along and can be properly disposed of when you get home.

As an aside,I keep ALL paint and thinner soaked towels in a covered 20 gallon drum at my shop and empty it weekly or as needed.

As for brush cleanup;I wash them in brush cleaner a couple times,run through them lightly with an old tooth brush,and then oil them with Mack Brush Preservative or food grade mineral oil. DO NOT wash them out with water!The only time water should come in contact with a natural hair striper is if it has been deformed.Then you can reshaper it using liquid dish detergent and letting it set for a period of time before washing it out.See the Mack Brush site for proper methods.

To see some of my painting equipment go to the Pinstriper's Page group on Yahoo in the Photos section.There is also some good information in the Data Base there.

14. Pat dry with paper towel,dip in Oil. Done.
    The oil stops any minute paint residue in the brush from drying.

I've left brushes soaking in Mineral Spirits,or a mixture of
    Mineral Spirits and 1-Shot Brush Conditioner for months on end.
    No problems.

15. I've got a small metal can,with a screw on lid,
    for storing dirty thinner in my travel box.

Dick Blick sells the same cans for a couple bucks.
    http://www.dickblick.com/zz289/05/

Mine came with a plastic gasket,to seal the lid.
    The Thinner fumes destroyed the original gasket,
    so I made one from glossy cardboard.Works great.

16. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

You don't need to dump the dirty thinner ... If you bring the stuff home, pour it into a coffee can with a lid. The paint will settle to the bottom and leave you with clean thinner and a skin sediment on the bottom.

If you keep the can fairly full all the time you can use the thinner day to day ta wash all your brushes when you are working at home / shop … As long as you don't run the bush all the way to the bottom. Eventually you can fish the paint Frisbie out and toss it or hang it on the wall.

I always hit my brushes with lard in case there is any residue paint on them. Then I don't normally need a second rinse.

17. steveo10

steveo10

do you have to clean the oil off your brush after storage or will it not hurt the paint?

18. pinstripingbykc

pinstripingbykc
    from Lombard,IL

i do most of my painting at shows. i bring my whole kit, all paint, some oil and mineral spirits, hardener. i clean with mineral spirits and wipe dry with a cloth and then dip in oil. i leave it in oil until the next time i paint. NO WATER!!

19. pinstripingbykc

pinstripingbykc
    from Lombard,IL

before use again i clean the oil off with the mineral spirits and wipe off.
    [​IMG]

20. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Man, I learn something new every day... Thanks!

I use mineral spirits (I re-use the same paint can until it's FILTHY) to clean my brushes and then I squirt them off with WD-40 to store. I use Med-Temp Reducer to thin the 1-Shot, just a little in the bottom of a Dixie Cup...

I store used reducer in an empty paint can (and I'm kinda ashamed to admit that I have used the limestone filteration system).

I don't do work for anyone else, so I don't have a kit.

killer thread, thanks for the info guys (& gals).
    - Joe

21. What is the WD-40 for ?

Anything used as "brush oil" shouldn't evaporate,polymerize,or go rancid.

22. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

definitely rinse it in mineral spirits. the oil won't let the paint dry!

Thanks again guys, great info.

KC- this may sound sexist, but it's refreshing to see a girl who can REALLY stripe. My girlfriend is learning right now too. Excellent work.

Unkl Ian, many thanks for the tips my friend.

Safariknut, same for you. Great stuff. i've got a tripod that's dying to be used for something other than what it was intended for.

My sister just had a baby in May, he's onto eating baby food now. Almost an endless supply of glass jars with lids! Awesome.

Just bought some Neatsfoot Oil. Anyone use this? i'd been using regular engine oil, and Hoppe's Gun Oil. Thought i'd try the Neatsfoot. it was cheap enough.

might as well toss this out there too if anyone's interested:
    www.pinheadlounge.com/acebrown

-ace

23. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Joe, once my patent goes through you owe me $19.95 for that patented system :D

24. eye bone

eye bone

I have 5 baby food jars labeled 1-4, the fifth is One-shot brush preservative. First rinse is in #1 then wipe the brush off and many times swirl it in #1 again. Then I proceed to #2 etc. till no paint comes off on the paper towel. If I'm done w/that brush for the day I then dip it in the Brush preservative. Wipe it off, shape it and store it. I bring an empty paint thinner can clearly marked "Used" & a funnel to dump spent paint thinner in. when that's full I take it to a toxic waist sight

25. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Eyebone, i do the jar thing as well, sometimes with spraypaint lids. Haven't gotten as far as labelling them though. Good tips, thanks!

26. I've seen quite a few different "oils" used as preservative/treatment. Anything to stay away from? or is any light oil ok?

27. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

If you're familiar with guns at all you might be familiar with Hoppe's Gun Grease (oil). It's a very fine oil, kind of like sewing machine oil. I'd used that several times. Seems to work well. I just picked up some neatsfoot oil and it seems to be working well. As mentioned before stay away from "natural" oils, like olive, vegetable, etc. because they can become rancid.

there are some oils specifically for brush care. Wall Dog is one. I've never used it so i can't attest to it but i've heard several people using it.

28. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I've been using plain ol' 30wt Non-detergent.....cheap, and a quart will last ya forever...:D

29. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I wash my Macs in mineral spirits then "palette" them through Marvel Mystery oil and store them ( well oiled) in a plastic box. No other cleaning solutions or preservatives. I use turps to thin as needed.
    All I use is Mac...Got on a kick years ago to try other brushes and found that Dominican worked very well for quality of line as well as longevity, but they went out of business. Always end up back with Mac.
    Sometimes A brush will lose hair pretty quickly while other brushes will last for years. Can't find any rhyme or reason to it as I treat all my brushes the same. I have a few brushes that are over 30 years old that I still use. I have no idea whether different cleaning/storage techniques have a significant effect on the hair loss problem.
    I gave up trying to second guess what may be a quality control problem during manufacture and just stick with what I've always done...Seem to have the best luck with the lo-tech approach.

I don't do shows so my striping kit doesn't get very far. I paint and stripe "stuff" like trash cans and toilet seats as well as a lot of panels, plus the occasional car. I gave striping in "public" long ago.

30. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I have been using it to store my brushes in... bad idea?

It has seemed to work just fine, I have had the same couple of brushes for over a year now.

thanks Unkl Ian.
    - Joe