Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone using a Borg Warner t10 four speed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grits, Feb 3, 2008.

1. A friend gave me a t10 tranny year marked 08-16-62, aluminum case, will it hold up to a 350hp sbc? Any known problem I should expect, let me know
    Thanks in advance
    grits

2. jerry

jerry

I think that it would hold up better than a t-5. Just about as strong or as strong as a muncie.

Of course some will probably chime in that they blew up either one consistently!

jerry

3. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I can tell yu that the aluminum '62 trans was used in Corvettes....(remember the 327 fuel injection engine)....and in lightweight full-size 409 drag cars.

Just remember they did not have great tires then, and that alone would put less load on the trans than today's tires.

I bet the trans has a high market value for collector cars, so you could possibly sell it, and have enough to buy a tougher trans, like the M-22 Muncie "rock crusher", or Super T-10, which was used after '74.

4. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I used one behind a 425 Buick Nailhead in a Model 'A' coupe and never had any problems... Just to give you an idea, a friend of mine has a Deuce Coupe with a pretty healthy S.B with a Saginaw behind it. The tranny has been in his shit yellow Deuce coupe for ages with no problems, can you imagine a tranny out of a Vega with no problems hooked up to a S.B.?

5. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

That gearbox would stand up to a Hemi if you wanted it to! Go for it! My T10 will be mated up to my 401 Buick Nailhead one of these days.

6. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

T10 in a 29 coupe, 6-71 blown 350/with 29/13.5 slicks. Has'nt broke yet, But I shure try like hell :eek: My Clutch is the weak link saving many parts.

7. Thanks guys for the response,
    I have just recently purchased a 30 model A coupe and have a cabillion questions to ask, Blown32, you mention your model A coupe, my coupe is quite rusty and the subframe rails in the back are completely gone. I'm thinking of replacing them with 1x3 tubing with a 3/4x1 cap on top of it to resemble the original shape, any suggestions?
    grits

8. 61bone

61bone

If all three date codes, main case ,tailshaft and side cover, are fairly close, it is worth a bunch to a restorer. Like all within a two month period. If not, go ahead and run it. It wii take 300 hp without much problem. 350 is right on the edge of their capacity. A light car with average tires wont hurt it. A heavy car or one that really hooks is death for them. That is why GM went to the muncie and super T-10.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Got one in my '57...behind a 350" crate motor...been in there for many years, never have a problem turning tires...or full bore passes...

R-

10. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

got one in a big block chevelle worked perfect until a few holeshots , now some real loud bearing noise is in every gear except fourth

11. jerry

jerry

Sound like the input bearing is going out. Shuldn't be too bad of a fix.

jerry

12. Terry

Terry

I had one in a '56 Chevy P/U, drove it each weekend to Lubbock and back (140 miles) for 3 years. Raced there and here in Odessa on a lot of weekends. It was behind a 350 and best time I turned was a 13:56. Finally after a million miles it would sometimes pop out of 4th. tough trans!

13. All three date code are in the month of August '62
    It came out of his original vette,
    Any offers:D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  14. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

hundred bucks

15. ok,,,next:rolleyes:

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Okay, $100.50. Seriously, like the guys said.....if the moon and stars are aligned right, you should be able to get enough $$$ for it to buy a pair of later non rock crusher Muncies or used Super T10s and have a backup.

17. Well since we're being serious, why non crusher types eh?

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Because the proceeds from your T-10 won't buy you one M-22, let alone two. They bring so much money these days that, unless you really need one for the restoration of a muscle car that had one from the factory, they're not worth it. "Rock crusher" nickname or not, you can still scatter one if you apply yourself, and that's an awful lot of money to be spraying all over some back road.

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I still have the Super T-10 2:43 first gear close ratio box that I bought new back in the day. I used it to replace the regular T-10 that I installed behind a 283 SBC in my 50 Plymouth. Less than 1,000 miles on that tranny.

At the time, the T-10 cost $100 from a junkyard. It was OK but it had a worn syncro.

The Super T-10 cost $350 brand spanking new. Was one of the first off the line. Bought it at Staten Island Speed Shop. A lot of money at the time, I guess, for both of them.

20. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I guess I should have given you some good information instead of a war story.

The Muncie has the strongest gears (least helical pitch). That is why it is a rock crusher. It is also the noisiest.

The T-10 has a nice gear pitch and is quiet and refined. (For 1965, that is.)

The Super T-10 has a gear pitch in between the Muncie and the T-10, so it is a little noisier than the T-10 and not as strong as the Muncie. But it is still a very nice transmission. Pontiac used the T-10 trannys in some big heavy cars with honking big engines.

21. PackardV8

PackardV8

Some people, sitting in a sand box, can break a cannon ball with their bare hands. FWIW, T10s don't break by themselves! Back in the day, the T10 came, with a warranty, behind EVERYTHING big and bad, Ford 406", Chevy 409", Pontiac 421", Studebaker R3, and 327" FI Corvettes. If everything is new and right, the T10 will handle any reasonable street/strip use.

thnx, jack vines

22. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I put one in 56NoBrakes '56 Corvette with a cross ram 327 and 4.88 gears. With original Firestone Gum Dipped pie crust slicks he finally twisted the output shaft of the tranny. Of course that was discovered after he blew the rear end's u-joint yoke and had to hammer the driveshaft outta the tranny. To it's credit the tranny never puked it's guts though. Tough little sumbitch.

23. Just an FYI-- I would confirm those casting #'s if you wanna know for sure. The 1974-1979 T-10 also had aluminum casing(s). The super T10 is the transmission that most people are familiar with for higher performance Musclecars- It has a nodular iron case, and an aluminum tailshaft housing. The regular T10 cast design was common on the small block Mustangs, and earlier small block Corvettes among others--mostly a small block application//but shared basic design with the "70s" unit...

24. cracker head

cracker head

there was one at the swap meet in kansas for $500

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  25. Thanks 58 Fridge, I realized I said Oct. '62 But I looked again and is August '62, all #'s are within a week or two of each other, my SBC is bored .40 over fairly stiff cam with 882 heads, tunnel ram with 2 Holly 450 single pumpers, all in all, I think shes going to be pretty tough little power plant. I just finished the rear end, it's a ford 9" with a posi unit and fresh axels and a fresh set of M/T 8.5" pie crust cheeters. I'm thinking with my big arse in it, it might weigh in around 2200 lbs.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  26. stronga

stronga

I like mine I have in my 57.

27. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

"Anyone using a Borg Warner t10 four speed?"

Yes, anyone is...me too. '62 Grand Prix with a 389. Big heavy slow hunk of steel... all aluminum case, even has the bowtie cast into it. Works fine.

If you are worried about it surviving behind a chainsaw (SBC) in a 2200 lb car, you're fine. If you're fishing for buyers, put it on ePay.

28. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

I just put a 62 t10 in my Chevelle that came with the car. The problem with the 62 was the spline count for the yoke. I found that with the 62 I could only use a small u joint 1310? I think. If you want a 1350 yoke I couldn't find a way to make that happen.