Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for the louver guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadmalc, Jan 26, 2008.

1. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

Sometime ago there was a post where we discussed different ways of handling a large hood on a louver press. there were several ideas talked about but as I recall nothing final. Did any of you come up with a solution? Any pics. It's a two man job with my press and my son who helped me moved out of state for a new job. While I'm at it how do you guys mark your patterns? I have taken to marking the centerline ofeach row and then the back of each individual louver. Any help is appreciated.

2. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I made pivoting arms with skate board wheels that slid in & out and up and down. on both sides.

3. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

we have 3 stands that are about 3ft tall with an arm on it about 10" long with a small chain hanging down with a small "C" clamp that you clamp on the lip of a hood and has been working for 20 years.

4. I define the center of each row first and then the edges. I tape the edges and then draw the backside lines. My punch gas the center marked on it also.

I use saw horses and 2x4's back to the "spine" of my press. Works pretty good. I tried having a partner push, pull and support the hood but it just didn't work out. I have found that I prefer to do louvers alone, without distractions, especially punching someone else's irreplaceable hood, side panel, tail gate, whatever.

Charlie

5. marioD

marioD

i use what R.C. uses telescopic stands with little arms and a c-clamp on a chain. They are on casters so i can drag them around. Works perfect for more than 20 yrs now.

Mario

No f*ckin plastic!

SPEEDLOOK Rod&Custom
    www.speedlook.de

6. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

R.C.and Mario can you post a pic or two of your setup with the stands in place. I would appreciate it.

Jerry
    Homemadehardtop57

7. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

If possible I'd like to see some pictures too. Appreciate it. While talking about louvers can anyone give me the dimensions of a real old type louver with the rounded top and front, as I recall they only straigtht line was the cut, sufficient to get a die made? Thanks Mac