Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grain Hauler 409

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lefty51, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Lefty51

Lefty51

Had two pretty decent days here in southern OK. last Sat. & Sun. I have quite a few issues with my mothers health, but I found enough time to start this project. My b-in-law said this engine was running last spring, but it seized up while on the road and they drug it home.
    I told him it didn't matter, I would use it for a display if nothing else. What I have found so far is it is not stuck. Turned the ole engine with a small wrench. When I got to the back of the engine, the distirbutor was loose though and turned about 180 deg. So now I've got my fingers crossed, waiting for final removal, and pulling of the pan!
    The cats over there at 348/409 have truck engine building tips, but wanted to share with the HAMB, since I have never started a thread here.
    Thanks for looking, Steve.

Attached Files:

2. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Is there a big difference between the engines used in trucks and those in cars? just thinking that there must be quite a few dead trucks running 409's that could be used as donor engines for a project.

3. Lefty51

Lefty51

Mercmad Man,
    I am by no means any kinda expert. But from what I have gathered over there at expert site (348/409), the truck blocks have a notch to lower compression. Still,they have a thread that spells out how to get some decent figures out of that ole truck engine. The passenger car engines are now few and far between. It's hard to be as fotunate as those cats that located that wagon with the rare ass 409.
    Now as far as old trucks out there with a W engine in 'em, I haven't a clue, but I'll bet it could be just as much a great adventure searching for one those as it is anything else. Hell, you might even stumble on to a Ford 5 window. At least according to this site, there still out there!
    Still searchin' with my fingers crossed, Steve.

4. Backtoflatheads

Backtoflatheads

I can probably help you with any question you may have about 348/409 engines;)

5. Lefty51

Lefty51

Say Aubrey,
    I do appreciate the offer. When I finally get this thing home, I will know more about what I need. Am not going to be looking for high HP. Want some reliabilty, torque, and eye appeal. So you will most likely be hearing from me.
    I was told if it was a 409, it could have small valve 348 heads. I have a genuine set of trip 2gc's. What cha think?
    Thanks Steve.

6. Backtoflatheads

Backtoflatheads

The "triple two barrel", as it was called by Chevrolet, does look cool. Not great on performance though. The "high" version of the Offy 2X4 manifold is VERY effective !

It's doubtful that that engine has 348 car heads. Most likely "333" truck castings, which actually have better performance potential anyhow. They're better castings too.

You have probably heard about the stroker combinations that can be done. I like the 3.76" stroke 427 crank version. 446-456 cubic inches ( ,030" / .060" bore ), and still revs quick.

Big thing with that engine, is to get the compression ratio up to a useable level. They come with 7.75:1, and if it's been assembled with composition head gaskets, it could be as low as 7.5:eek:.
    10:1 should be your target with a modest street engine. These things can tolerate, and actually NEED a little more ratio than an ordinary engine, due to the large surface area of the fully machined combustion chamber. If you want to get agressive with the camshaft... say 240-256 duration @ .050", then you can up to 10.5:1 with no problem.

Here's a few pictures of a piston of my own design... this one is a real 11:1 in a car block, for use with the stock 3.5" stroke 409 crank. In a truck block, compression ratio is reduced to about 10.5:

Attached Files:

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Hey Backtoflatheads--Are you the guy that has the upgrade stuff for drop-out 10-bolt rear ends?
    I tried to send you a PM, but it says you aren't set up to receive them. Drop me one.

-Brad

8. Backtoflatheads

Backtoflatheads

Yes Brad, that's me.
    I think I just fixed the PM option thing:confused:

Aubrey

9. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

i bought a 348 out of a firetruck last year its stuck also a lil turn out of it but it only had 7200 miles but who knows how many hours ideling