Register now to get rid of these ads!

When did the HAMB become an appraisal service?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by KustomF100, Jan 29, 2008.

1. KustomF100

KustomF100
    from Joliet, IL

Seems like every time I get one here, there is yet another "What's it worth?" thread. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do some quick research via the classifieds here or Ebay to determine what something should be valued at. I guess I take for granted that I am able to determine what I am willing to pay for something. Seems to me that a true car guy would at least have an idea of what some of these things sell for.

In reading some of these "What's the value?" posts, one could only assume that they think they have fallen into a deal and want to flip it on the auction site we all know and love/hate. Nothing wrong with making some money, but a good business man should know what his product is worth.

Bottom line to me is, if I see something I like, the guy shoots me a price that I am comfortable with, I buy it. I have also overpaid for parts before just to show some love and keep the respect flowing. I have also sold stuff for less than what it may have been worth to do the same thing.

Has the Hamb turned into "Antique Hot Rod Parts Roadshow? I hope not.

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

No fucking shit!!!!

3. John Denich

John Denich

I agree, I posted a rant about this exact same thing a year ago, and all the FNG's got mad at me....I say fuck them!!!!

4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

no, the hamb has gotten the reputation as a good bunch of guys with ALOT of knowledge on all things automotive. Unfortunately the ebay crowed knows this and bombards the board with "what is it" and "how much is it worth" posts to try to get more info on the parts they are trying to sell. basically using the the good nature of the hamb to outprice the very people who may be interested in the parts......

5. I've seen the same thing on other forums I visit. Often the responses are as far apart as east and west. I say if YOU are happy with the price then it was a good deal.

If you really don't know what something is worth, ask a friend. Better yet, don't but it!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't mind the WIW posts, you don't see cars parked out in fields around here anymore, its an internet replacement for the old weekend drive in the country car search. You get to see something someone found, no need to reply if you don't want to.

7. I Drag

I Drag

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Frequently stuff bought and sold around here is not normal, so it's best to ask the right crowd (us) what a decent value is.
    With money tight, it shouldn't hurt to ask.
    Not everybody buying something is flipping, some of us want to use what we bought. I have flipped a few things, to finance my 29 Sedan project. If that pisses some of you off, thats your problem.

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

my thought on the WIW posts, are 90% of them are trying to gage how much they should sell something for. Regardless of what the poster says they are asking for. especially if they have less than 100 posts.

10. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

Can you tell me what you think this RANT is worth :)
    I have never seen more CRYBABYS in my life.
    If you dont like the post don't go it to it.
    AHHHH life is simple
    Now pay me for the help.
    How much was it worth

11. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

It's only worth what someone will pay for it!

12. 6inarow

6inarow

AMEN brother The ones that honk me off are the ones where they ask WIW, get the responses and then it winds up on eGay after the guy gets a ton of requests to sell it to the hambers that tell him what its worth. I remember one a few months ago from the dude calling himself 67chevelle or some such name. Great response for him then he basically tell us to go screw ourselves........

13. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

with all the "what shade of red should i spray my wheels?", "how much is this worth, where can i sell it, and what is it?" and "who makes the best pom-ade" threads..... its hard to find the usefull threads, and the even more rare tech post even durring tech week

cajones, thats what we need

where the fuck is Germ when ya really need him???

14. zombo27

zombo27
    from E-town Ky.

It's not an appraisal thing, more of an approval thing. Example,
    Member "A" buys part on auction site, swap meet, yard sale, etc.
    They think they have a good deal.
    They ask for opinion on forum, until someone say's what Member "A" want's to hear, or they go Ga-Ga and pander over it. Making Member "A" feel good about themselves.
    So my suggestion is the next time someone starts a "What's it worth thread" tell them they should have bought two...........
    One to shit on and one to cover it up with.

15. chopped

chopped

The same people who won't use the search function here don't use Google. Their time is too important to wade thru it. So they let you.

16. tomcat46

tomcat46

I had to sell a few non-hamb project vehicles fast last week (due to a nasty letter from the city). Trying to find a fair asking price, I checked e-gay. Tried to find prices on sold items, I found this is now a service called marketplace research that you have to pay extra to subscribe to. That may be why more people are coming over here with WIW questions.

If you can't see what stuff really sold for at the end of an auction, Its harder to set a price.

I ended up selling all 3 projects locally within 24 hours. I had waiting lists of buyers if the first ones flaked. I'm sure I sold my junk too cheap. But, I got what I was asking for and sold the stuff fast.

So, does anyone know when marketplace research became a pay service on e-gay?

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

When somebody got presumptuous enough to think that they can price an item by looking at a photograph on a 17" screen from a market that is 3000 miles from your world.

I hate them because I think they accelerate the Ebay/Barret-Jackson phenomenon.

I never participate but I usually tune in to see what's going on in lala land.

Every "rust free" car I've ever looked at was truly rust free and worth the high end of the price range that the "experts" had established as gospel.:rolleyes:

I have 2 friends that have driven over a thousand miles for a closer look at the rust free beauties seen in photographs only to come home with an empty trailer.

Your a better man than I if you can give out accurate appraisals from a computer screen.

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I've never asked how much something is worth, but I have provided current Old Car Price Guide values for whole cars when someone has asked. It seems to me that we are an online community of like-minded people (traditional rides), and that there are some who are amazingly knowledgeable, some who don't know much at all but are here to learn from those who do, most who probably fall somewhere in between, and a tiny handful of people who just look for something to get pissed about.

19. hotrodhambones

hotrodhambones
    from louisiana

If You Don't Know What It Is Worth You Need To Give It Away And Find A New Hobby , (maybe Something With Price Tags On It )

20. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

I love the HAMB, buying stuff, selling stuff, looking at all the tech archives, lots of good info, cool looking rides, but it looks like we may need a bitchin and complaining forum also. We all were FNG's at one time, had to learn somewhere if you didn't get the gene past down from fathers before. I was one of the lucky ones growing up around some good names in the racing world, and had a great Hot Rod dad to boot. I admit that sometimes there are some crazy questions from time to time, and some stupid shit also, but give the dudes a break. If it looks like a stupid post, move on to the next one. If you have some good info to share, share it, if not, someone will. Everybody can't be as proffesional as some of us think we are, I know I learn something new every day, some of it is from the HAMB, thats because we bad.

21. tomcat46

tomcat46

We can't all be experts on everything, though many of us claim to be.

I'll bet the kid that bought my rusty old VW van is over on some VW site bragging about the awsome barn find he scored for cheap from some old guy who didn't know what it was worth. Just like some kid will be on here today bragging about the A roadster barnfind he scored.

I'm just glad it didn't go the crusher and the kid will get it back on the road. Maybe he'll even grow up to be hotrodder. I could see that spark in his eye as he oogled over my other cars.

22. I participated in a Pomade thread once:eek::D

23. anyone know where i can find 'rock-a-silly red' paint for my steel wheels?

24. Crankhole

Crankhole

I buy parts cheap from the boneyards and flip 'em to pay for my addiction. Would you rather these old parts go to the crusher? I go to the HAMB for real world pricing before hitting the classifieds or Ebay (if I choose).

Threads like these are much more relevant to the hobby than pictures of your shop dog. No one is forcing you to read these posts, so if you're not interested, don't respond.

25. Abomination

Abomination

:D LOL!

26. Amen, brother:D

27. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

How can you know anyway. the answer will almost always be "It depends".

On location, condition, how bad you want it, and how bad they want to sell it.

28. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you with the remains of a flock o' seagulls mop... sick bastid :p

29. bct

bct

if you don't like the subject of a post DON'T read it ...simple...your not the only one on here

30. 5window

5window

Kid, if you're this calm over this,I'd love to see your response to something really important. It's not about you, really.

If you don't have interest in a thread,why read it? The topic's overused but there are some genuine questions by fellow HAMBers just getting started-or branching out- and they really do value other's opinions. Sure lots of times the writer could just Google their question, but how does this really hurt you?

Bottom line, if you can help,help. Otherwise move on and go bother someone else.

PS : Unless you're 15 and just finished watching "Superbad", "FUCK" is highly overused and over-rated. If you use it as your most common transitive verb it just loses any impact.