Register now to get rid of these ads!

How man have sold a classic car to find out it was being shipped over seas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmurphy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. I have no problem selling overseas. They'll pay good money for stuff guys on here will call unrestorable shit, and be happy to have found it at all. So as long as they bring me good old American cash, I could care less.

2. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

Well the more cool classic/muscle/hotrods that you send to New Zealand the better, we make a good storage and restoration place for them plus we and you as visitors get the bonus of seeing lots of them and driving them. Our country is small so all the classic american cars are more likely to be seen on the roads, we are the highest per population owners of classic cars, our weather is good(ok not quite as dry as Arizona but not bad), the people that own the classics think even an old 70s american 4 door car is special, we dont have any tough emmissions laws-yet!, we are neutral in the world scene-infact neuclear free-no one aint about to drop bombs on precious american cars here.

3. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Hot Rods....the one thing that unites us all, now if all the Politicians across the world would get into vintage American tin then maybe the Wars would stop. :D

Yeah I know it's a nice thought.

MAKE HOT RODS NOT WAR!!!

4. My British registered, Italian built, Vespa SS180, sold to a Scotsman emigrating to California.
    Once our German named xenophobe has worked all that out, I'll probably own his ol' Triumph...

5. I'm glad some of us still have balls, and not politically correct kissers of foreign ass.

6. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i've sure sold ALOT of air ride kits to HAMBers overseas in the past 6 or 8 months. i don't mind a bit though. i hope everyone overseas decides they need air ride and calls me. :D

but realy, i can see why it might be disappointing to see old tin go overseas. less old stuff for us to find and possibly fix up some day. but hey. i also admire the hell out of the guys doing this stuff overseas in dirt floor sheds with cars and parts that are harder than hell to find. alot of countries don't make it easy (or cheap) to import old cars or even parts. i realy feel for them in that respect.

7. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Originally Posted by captainflight
    They buy our cars because they can afford to! Let's face it. Our economies suck in the USA & Canada. A lot of it stems from people wanting cheap goods instead of quality. Companys like Wal-Mart are killing us but the masses can't see it. Why on earth are we allowing our jobs to go to communist and backward, no standards countries (China, India, etc.)? We fought wars to defeat these evil commie bastards and now we are handing them everything we have built up for centuries. We owe third world nations nothing. They don't give a rat's ass about us only in taking what we have. In my view, North America should stand on it's own even if it means a lower standard of living until we can repair the damage already done. I know I am ranting, but I feel big business, government and blind consumerism are about to destroy our way of life. Hot rods are part of our way of life. I can only hope things will change but somehow I feel we are doomed to become the third world unless we can find true patriotic leaders that are willing to act.

i can totaly see your point and agree completely. i won't take it out on our hot rod brothers overseas though. we (as a country) did it to ourselves and now WE need to fix it. you are right!

8. 7/11

7/11

That´s the way the story goes.
    now it´s all the foreigners buying your cars - in a couple of years when the $$$ comes back it will be us who are bleeding.
    I just got me a 37 la salle coupe here in frenso, I couldn´t have bought 2 years ago. but I don´t intend to take it to gemany but get it restored by a friend of mine in san jose and to have a decent ride when ever I´m in the states.
    A lot of people are devoloping a friendship by buying cars, because the scene is pretty simular on both sides of the atlantic. simular problems too
    if you want to see what we do to your cars, check this out : www.smokinshutdown.com

9. Squablow

Squablow

That looks different than what I have. Here's a pic of mine. I really want one for the right hand side, I've never seen one here in the US with both mirrors, but I figure they at least had to have made them for RHD cars. I'll PM you.

[​IMG]

10. Wheelless

Wheelless

11. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

nearly all of the posts have been for 'grabbing the loot while the grabbing is good'. no doubt many L@@K at this as a hobby, but the reality is that, this hobby is an uniquely AMERICAN HOBBY. many nations had a hand in the evolution of the automoblile, BUT absolutely NONE had the impact on the automoblile as did the AMERICAN AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY. [JUST HOW MANY 1932 MERCEDES BENZ or 1932 VAUXHALLS do you see at 'cruises'] our hobby is recognized worldwide, and is gaining in strength beyond our borders. it has been pointed out we live in a world that is rapidly becoming one without borders. others suggest that a time is coming our children will not have access to our hobby as we have been priviledged to enjoy. pillage and plunder without considering the undermining of our automobile heritage is unconscionable.

STAND FOR SOMETHING or FALL FOR ANYTHING! [thanx wolfgang, captianflight, studhud..... for your courage, and convictions]

BY-THE-WAY.....................
    3 THINGS FOR SURE DO NOT HAVE A CONSCIENCE-----
    #1 A DOLLAR BILL. #2 A 'STIFF DICK'. #3 A BULLET! if the man possessing all 3 doesn't know what a conscience is-----shame on him!

[little-known-fact] TRIUMPH, BSA and NORTON worked to meet the demands of the american market----before they 'serviced' their own market. it is not surprising that english bikes are also 'returning' at an alarming rate to the british isles.

it makes no difference where on this earth you go....everyone knows what HD stands for ------HARLEY DAVIDSON. another uniquely american icon.

thanx---redryder

12. v8ford

v8ford
    BANNED

I dont like it either........mean if your in a bind and need the money or your sending junk over there.......or just trying to make a turn over thats great......for example japan.........they bombed us now they love us and want americana........... No one overseas will have my cars

13. That was a typo error, i knew better(spent time in Grand Cayman,BWI). At the farm where i have my shop, there is a 46 Ford Woody that was the Lieutenant Governors Car from N.Z.:rolleyes: 2-way street on import/export of cars.

14. baader

baader

It´s really the same as what americans did when the dollar was high. A load of european culture got sucked into the states during cold war era. With a cheap price too.

Our hearts wept when the cars that had national importance (numerous presidential cars and other classics like duesenbergs, ferraris etc.) were exported to "soulless americans".

15. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Have seen your car quite a few times. This car is very well loved by Richard and his family.
    Rest assured your hard work is being admired by many down here. :cool:

16. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Are you really still hung up on that??

17. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Thats nearly as funny as listening to Japanese crying about 'those damn Chinese' copying all of "our" designs....LMAO:D

Not to mention, we kinda bombed them a little and we 'want' their sushi etc. :eek:

18. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

HEY!! you dont have to be p/c to sell cars to foreigners! most foreigners take better care of our cars than we do! youll never see a rusted out heap of chevy, or a caved in bullet riddled ford in japan, new zealand, or sweden!(unless thats the look they wanted)

19. How many Anglias ,Prefects,Austin Bantams and Fiat Topolino's are in that thread on early Drag racing? They weren't American cars but they sure were some of the baddest "hot rods" ever built. Some of the pioneers of rodding were not American either.Any idea where Stu Hilborn was from?Canada. For many years, while your $ was worth more than ours,thousand of cars of all types have disappeared from here, because we haven't crushed it all like much of yours has been. Hot rods are a worldwide hobby, and have been since the beginning.

20. Nomadness

Nomadness

Hell most folks around here won't pay what a car is worth. I usually sell cars to people out of state. If a foreign buyer will pay what I want for a car so be it. Hey can we fault these guys or gals for wanting some good old American Iron.

21. Bookz

Bookz

My passion for traditional rods goes back over 40 years. For 35 years I have spent most of my time working around cars and have owned shit loads and so far not one boring one. My car passion actually covers all types and I like to think I keep a fairly balanced view on the whole car scene.
    The statement above has to be one of the most head up the arse ones I've come across in a long time.
    Hot Rodding may have been born in the States but guys all over the world had been building similiar type cars as well. My father used to tell stories of how in the 30's he would buy Model A's chop the bodies off and build a sports type body plus tweak the engines for more power and try and improve the handling. The differance was they called them specials. During the 60's we had quite a strong rodding scene down here as did Australia etc so it is not a unique American thing.
    As for the impact on the Automobile the American industry had it really hasn't been that big with the exception of Ford and mass production. I agree some improvements have come from out of America but the Automobile originated in Europe and most progress came out of Europe and England and in recent years Japan.
    In Motorsport Formula 1 is recognised as being the ultimate level....American involvement has been negligable, likewise in Rallying etc.
    Even what is arguably the greatest motor to have ever come out of America the Miller/Offenhauser was based on a earlier Peugeot race engine.
    If you want a great handling and performing car with character you buy European and if you don't mind it being a bit boring then I guess you go Japanese. This largely came about due to differant environments in that in Europe thet had a extensive road network right fromthe start of motoring but the roads as a rule where tight and winding so good brakes and handling were needed whereas initially America didn't have much in the way of roads outside the towns and then the advent of your freeway systems made the ability to cover long distances on wide and relatively straight roads the prime requirement and good handling wasn't essential in fact soft spongey suspension was wanted for comfort. All of this mean't that American Cars with a few exceptions have never been good sellers in foreign markets. However a small minority of us do love the experience of your cars and interesting cars have always crossed borders which is why so many Ferraris etc ended up in America. Special interest vehicles have always gone where the money is and in fact a lot of people over here in the 70's were real pissed with the number of our old cars going to you guys so in reality we just getting a few of them back.
    And yes everyone does know what HD stands for........over powered evil handling outdated POS largely bought by middle aged lawyers and accountants as a fashion piece.
    And don't worry redryder we don't need your 70 Mustang. over here Mustangs are a bit like arseholes....everyone seems to have one. However if you happen to have a nice 32 Roadster hidden away I sure could find a home for that.
    End of rant.

22. About two years ago I sold a 65 Impala SS to a guy that was shipping back home to Denmark. He called me on the phone and we met up a Mapco gas station. I told him that if might have been better if he had came in the day time to better see the car than at night plus it was raining a little, he said it didn't matter so he still came at night. He looked it over, we walked over to the bathroom and he starts counting out $8500 right there on the sink. Felt kinda wierd, felt like I was making a drug deal or something. He said he had just bought a 70 chevelle SS that he already had in a container and he was just looking for a 65 Imp SS.

23. pontiacfarmer

pontiacfarmer
    from sweden

hello all
    can only talk for myself in this matter
    I take all my swedish holliday in the us...4 weeks in the fall
    start looking a couple of weeks before on the net IF I can find some cars
    spend 3-5 hours a day a couple of weeks before we leave
    running around like hunted rabbits the time we are in the us
    can maybe buy 5 cars... take them to sweden
    sell 3 of them and hopefully I have the other 2 paid for......in customs,taxes , shipping
    have bought 3 cars here on the hamb during the years.....2 of them still cruising around my hometown
    5 years ago we had 11 skr/dollar now we have 6,30skr/dollar
    its cheaper now to buy but not to fill up the gas tank
    I think I deserve a little american iron in my garage
    7 cars in my little collection.........4 of them in cruising cond
    regards stig

24. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

my 36 dodge went to germany....

[​IMG]

25. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Is that the one with the "knife-shifter"? I know this guy....

Always remember: If the Germans wouldn't have invented the cars, WE ALL would still ride horses.......:)

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I've sold cars overseas before, it doesn't bother me, their money spends just nicely, they love 'em as much as we do.

28. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

29. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

67 Riviera to Norway
    Two Studebakers and a 57 chev to Great Britain all went to enthusiasts who didn't try to beat me down on price, or bitch about condition. Their money was fine with me.

30. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I just sold my 69 Corvette to a guy in New Zealand, 68 Mustang to South Africa, my 34 Ford Truck went to Japan and my 30 Model A coupe went to Finland. No body is buying shit here in America with the economy like it is.